Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 2.0T Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 2.0T Reliability

What is everyone's experience with the reliability of the Q5 2.0T? I just purchased a 2013 Q5 2.0T and am considering purchasing the Audi Platinum Pure Protection warranty from Factory Discount Warranty (fd-warranty.com), which I heard about on this forum.

The 2013 seems to have a good reliability prediction from various reviews. This is my first Audi and I'm concerned about repair cost. I had a Volvo that cost me a small fortune in repairs once the factory warranty ran out.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have had 4 Audi's loved them all, but then again I only drive those 5-6K a year. I had a A5 2.0 great car but used oil. Last two had been S5's cabs 2011 and 2013 Get car and great engine. Zero oil burn and zero problems.

My wife is on her 4th Outback limited . She now has a 2012 with a 2.5 engine For 30-31K loaded you can't bet it for reliability and comfort. 45K on it and original tires,brakes and zero warranty problems. She gets 33-36 on the highway and up to now just oil changes that I do myself. Yes the Q5 handles better and is nice inside but for what you will loose the first few years your better off with the Outback. I was given a Q5 as a loaner, very nice but I felt the Outback seats fits better for long rides. Fit and finish has to go to Audi, but after 45K I would have spent several thousand dollars in service and tires by now, not counting the time in the dealership for warranty work. Don't forget the 40K service on the DSC trans. WOW.
Attached Images  

Last edited by wreck111; 03-17-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by wreck111
I have had 4 Audi's loved them all, but then again I only drive those 5-6K a year. I had a A5 2.0 great car but used oil. Last two had been S5's cabs 2011 and 2013 Get car and great engine. Zero oil burn and zero problems.

My wife is on her 4th Outback limited . She now has a 2012 with a 2.5 engine For 30-31K loaded you can't bet it for reliability and comfort. 45K on it and original tires,brakes and zero warranty problems. She gets 33-36 on the highway and up to now just oil changes that I do myself. Yes the Q5 handles better and is nice inside but for what you will loose the first few years your better off with the Outback. I was given a Q5 as a loaner, very nice but I felt the Outback seats fits better for long rides. Fit and finish has to go to Audi, but after 45K I would have spent several thousand dollars in service and tires by now, not counting the time in the dealership for warranty work. Don't forget the 40K service on the DSC trans. WOW.
I'm puzzled by your response to the OP's question. He has already purchased the Q5, so your comments regarding the Outback are irrelevant. You're assertions regarding Q5 service and warranty are also erroneous.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5WERTY
What is everyone's experience with the reliability of the Q5 2.0T? I just purchased a 2013 Q5 2.0T and am considering purchasing the Audi Platinum Pure Protection warranty from Factory Discount Warranty (fd-warranty.com), which I heard about on this forum.

The 2013 seems to have a good reliability prediction from various reviews. This is my first Audi and I'm concerned about repair cost. I had a Volvo that cost me a small fortune in repairs once the factory warranty ran out.
You'll find that the Q5 has an excellent track record. The only issues tend to be carbon build up with the 3.2L engine (doesn't apply to you) and oil consumption issues with early 2.0Ts, which has supposedly been fixed. Also, some owners have complained of shift quality issues with the 8 speed transmission but this also has been addressed through programming changes. Other than that, there are very few complaints or trouble spots. If you are concerned with maintenance cost you may want to look at Audi Care. I don't go for extended warranties, so I can't help you there.

Enjoy your new car!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
You'll find that the Q5 has an excellent track record. The only issues tend to be carbon build up with the 3.2L engine (doesn't apply to you) and oil consumption issues with early 2.0Ts, which has supposedly been fixed. Also, some owners have complained of shift quality issues with the 8 speed transmission but this also has been addressed through programming changes. Other than that, there are very few complaints or trouble spots. If you are concerned with maintenance cost you may want to look at Audi Care. I don't go for extended warranties, so I can't help you there.

Enjoy your new car!
Thanks, NABS4. I have never purchase an extended warranty on anything, But my bad experience with the Volvo has made me consider it for the Q5. I'm picking it up next week in Ingolstadt and assume it will be a couple months before it gets here. So thought I would investigate the warranty in the meantime.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NABS4
I'm puzzled by your response to the OP's question. He has already purchased the Q5, so your comments regarding the Outback are irrelevant. You're assertions regarding Q5 service and warranty are also erroneous.
I agree. This post is irrelevant and not factual. Also comparing apples to oranges. The outback and Audi are in two different classes both figuratively and literally. I am a fan of Subaru but would never cross shop or confuse what I am buying or why from a joy to own, joy to use, value, quality, or emotional perspective. I am glad you love your Subaru but wires are crossed.

Anyway on to the point. 2.0T is dead reliable from my experience. You are safe with the standard 4 year warranty and would not purchase extended based on average driver yearly mileage.

But if you plan on taking her beyond 100k miles in a short time say within 3 years then you have to think about how best to cover costs with some kind of plan. On the other hand if you drive 18k or less per year just buy and enjoy.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Let's see how many people would keep an Audi outside warranty? As much as I enjoy my Audi, I would never keep it outside warranty. The 2.0 I'd reliable if you get one that doesn't burn oil!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We're way past our 50k warranty on our 3.2 Q and despite the carbon build-up issues, we're certain to keep it past 100K.
German car haters are quick to lament about keeping an Audi, BMW or Mercedes past warranty because of the high repair costs.

But forums like these allow owners to be preemptive about maintenance, potential trouble, TSB's, recalls or general annoyances. Anyone who can plug in an OBD II reader and Google search will have a good head start. I've managed to read/research and repair the last 6 CEL on three different vehicles.

In addition, with the internet, anyone can research reputable indies that are less pricey than out of warranty Audi dealers.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

We have over 55k on our 2011 2.0T Q5.
I've done all maintenance on it since day one and we have not had an issue.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by wreck111
Let's see how many people would keep an Audi outside warranty? As much as I enjoy my Audi, I would never keep it outside warranty. The 2.0 I'd reliable if you get one that doesn't burn oil!
I most likely won't keep my Q5 beyond the warranty period. Not for reliability concerns though. I normally don't with any vehicle, just a persoanl choice.

From their Owners Surveys, Consumer Reports says the 2.0t Q5 reliability has been Average and as has been mentioned here the 3.2 V6 reliability has been Below Average.

Quick Reply: Q5 2.0T Reliability