Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Put a deposit down - paid too much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put a deposit down - paid too much?

I just put a deposit down (and agreed on pricing)on a 2012 Q5 2.0T that's pretty loaded. Got 2K off the sticker but when I check invoice it seems like I'm gonna be paying $1K over that. Hoping I didn't really get ripped off. Once you put the deposit down has anyone then gone elsewhere to negotiate down a price?

Advice/experiences appreciated!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi. If you got 2K off MSRP and paid 1K over invoice, you did pretty good. Remember this is not a Ford or Chevy where you can get close to invoice.
These Q5's are all about supply and demand. And supply is tight and demand is pretty good. Looking to get a lower price might be fustrating and futile. You should now be worried about getting timely delivery. Good Luck.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks! good to hear feedback. It definitely seems like it's in demand - I guess I should just be happy finding the one I want.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd say you got the 'average' deal when it comes to this high demand model. My buying experience started at either full MSRP or maybe a token $500 off if the vehicle had to come from dealer inventory. Only when I was willing to order from the factory did I even get to $2k below MSRP. I guess when you factor in my port installed options were sold at 'invoice cost' maybe I did a little better than that, maybe 4.75% below MSRP for the total deal then.

If you signed a buyers agreement when you deposited your down-payment you're probably stuck with the agreed sales price. It states right on mine that the document is legally binding.

I saw your response in the another post to your similarly spec'd 2.0T as mine and how yours was already on a boat. I say this half-heartedly but it better not be MINE! Scary enough I have read where ordered Q's have been divereted and the original intended owners left to work out a dealer search.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, if you're getting accessories installed, the port installed ones are cheaper than paying the dealer to install them, so get them if you want them when you order.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah I figured I didn't get the best deal but I'm pretty content. I'm hoping I didn't snag yours (or anyone elses!) either! They told me it was already allocated to a dealer in NJ and they're swapping for it so it doesn't look like it was ever ordered. Weird.

I have a retail disclosure doc (pricing sheet) but nothing else signed.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK, now I'm concerned as it was a NJ dealer that I had read about that had snagged someone's ordered Q. I hope you enjoy my PIO of tow hitch and chrome exhaust tips ;-)
Old 02-13-2012, 05:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm crossing my fingers now that this doesn't turn into some big mess!
The one I found has the advance key (something I rarely saw on a Q5 2.0T). Trying to get more info from the dealer on the story of this car today.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3monthq5wait
I saw your response in the another post to your similarly spec'd 2.0T as mine and how yours was already on a boat. I say this half-heartedly but it better not be MINE! Scary enough I have read where ordered Q's have been divereted and the original intended owners left to work out a dealer search.
If your dealer placed your order correctly, no one else can take the car out from under you. The vehicle, and its VIN, will show up in all of Audi's systems as sold to you, with your name, salesman's name, dealership, etc. all attached to it. Once assigned a VIN number you can even call AoA customer service and get information on it. They'll pull the car up via the VIN and see your name on it. So, this being said, if someone else does get your car, it is because your dealership decided to sell it/dealer trade it to someone else, or just didn't place the order correctly, and if that's the case, I'd go get a new dealership, as that's just not right.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Best Darn Horse I Ever Saw

Hey "Mario", thanks for the memories of that "Tremendous Machine".

Quick Reply: Put a deposit down - paid too much?