Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Pulling a camper

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
I think you're confusing a trailer brake controller with trailer sway control. The trailer brake controller is after-market and controls the "gain" on the electric trailer brakes. Sway control is standard on the Q5 and the system automatically manipulates the brakes and throttle if unsafe trailer movements are detected.
Not confused but yes misunderstood. I knew about the anti swway and was recommended to still put on an additional mechanical one. I thought I had heard there was also an electronic break adjuster but for true feel of the system an after market one was needed.

In either case, I think I'll be going the route of both and the load distribution option is still pending my call to Audi for confirmation.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just emailed Audi Canada and called my dealer with a couple of questions. Once I get the word back, I'll share with this thread for us all to benifit from. When I get the response, I'll share my email and the respponse I get.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
I'm sure you will find that in the UK and Europe, the Q5 is considered to be a mighty fine and capable prime mover for sizeable caravans. Mind you when I say sizeable, I'm not talking about the sort of thing that JBT tows!
I started to ask you to please define 'sizeable'

With the small lanes, etc.. in some of the cities in the old country,
just to fit it is required to have 'right sized' cars and towables ....

we each have to adjust to the environment !

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 07-26-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Poncherelly
Just emailed Audi Canada and called my dealer with a couple of questions. Once I get the word back, I'll share with this thread for us all to benifit from. When I get the response, I'll share my email and the respponse I get.
So my dealer said to read my owners manual and AUDI Canada never responded to my email request. I've gone ahead and purchased (tentatively) a Palomino Stampede S17 since it's under the Q5 max pulling ability.

My next project is the trailer brake controller... Has anyone put one in yet? I keep reading of the 4 plug adapter under the dash, but I'm not familiar with these switches. Has anyone documented the install and wires that come off the controllers?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck on mucking with the electronics since no one around my area wanted to touch the Audi to even do a remote start !!!

How heavy is your trailer ? If light enough you probably don't "NEED" trailer brakes

For our previous 13k trailer we put a http://www.tekonsha.com controller on our Excursion and it worked well !

for sway control - we opted not to control sway, but eliminate it before it started!
we bought the "Audi" of hitches:
http://www.propridehitch.com/product...ol-Hitch-.html

it also includes weight distribution too, so make sure our q's can deal with transferring weight to the front wheels as some chassis are not designed to handle we hitches...

good luck with it!
we've got a 2 week trip to meet up with 5 other rv's planned in October !

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 08-20-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Good luck on mucking with the electronics since no one around my area wanted to touch the Audi to even do a remote start !!!

How heavy is your trailer ? If light enough you probably don't "NEED" trailer brakes

For our previous 13k trailer we put a http://www.tekonsha.com controller on our Excursion and it worked well !

for sway control - we opted not to control sway, but eliminate it before it started!
we bought the "Audi" of hitches:
http://www.propridehitch.com/product...ol-Hitch-.html

it also includes weight distribution too, so make sure our q's can deal with transferring weight to the front wheels as some chassis are not designed to handle we hitches...

good luck with it!
we've got a 2 week trip to meet up with 5 other rv's planned in October !
A) ya I'll need the controller according to the owners manual
B) now I'm wondering if I need to just buy the in cab controller or the part that goes on the trailer also... I better check with the seller today. Thanks for the link.
C) holly crap, now that's a hitch! I do plan on buying a sway kit also, but not sure I want to spend another 2k on top of the 1k for the stock Audi hitch and control module.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Called AUDI Canada and they'll call me back on the weight distribution hitch question sometime over the next 48 hours. I'll update you all then... In the mean time, I'm looking for a formal factor digital brake controller that won't be some big box under my steering column... Any ideas?

Also, still looking for confirmation on the wiring plug under the dash and the correct setup if anyone knows it.

**Update:. I just took a look under the dash and there is a four prong plug... Now just need someone to confirm its for the electric brakes of a trailer and I'll be a happy man

Last edited by Poncherelly; 08-20-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Ponch, hopefully this info will be of help to you: http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthr...202#post279202
Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
Hey Ponch, hopefully this info will be of help to you: http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthr...202#post279202
Excellent CrustyNoodle! I just ordered the male plug for that connector for a clean install and I ordered the Tekonsha P3 brake controller. I have an idea of where I can mount to hide the unit ... I'll know tomorrow when the P3 arrives if it will fit in the spot I'm thinking.

Did you perform this install also? Once I'm done I'll update our Trailer install doc to include this install and where I end up mounting the unit.

For those interested in the OEM plug, the part number is 1J0972 782 and here in Canada it sells for $6.50.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I used sticky back velcro to fix the P3 holder. This way, I can remove everything when I don't use it.

Quick Reply: Pulling a camper