Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Pulling a camper

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus
First of all, buy trailer tongue scale, something like...
lots of good info here... Thanks. You all might not be "experts" but most are knowledgeable and helpful. Never did the forum
Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
Because you clearly know more than Audi's engineers and they just chose 4400 lbs as a random number. What was your methodology for testing the Q5's tow rating?
Never said I knew more... just gave my opinion. I am CERTAIN that Audi engineers calculated the strength of the materials and fasteners, as well as the braking power and torque through the transmission. I am also sure they utilized risk management tools to identify and mitigate potential risks to some acceptable level. But the engineers' efforts can never anticipate real life with all its variables.

When I consider what cars would be suitable for routinely pulling a camper, boat, or other significant trailer I would never think of the Q5. In my mind I see a full-size pick-up.

BTW, as an interesting side note, the Engineers at Hyundai have done the same math and determined the Hyundai Elantra is suitable for towing up to 3086 lbs.!!!! The thought of THAT is scary enough to keep me off the roads for a while.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by awryexperiment
Never said I knew more... just gave my opinion. I am CERTAIN that Audi engineers calculated the strength of the materials and fasteners, as well as the braking power and torque through the transmission. I am also sure they utilized risk management tools to identify and mitigate potential risks to some acceptable level. But the engineers' efforts can never anticipate real life with all its variables.

When I consider what cars would be suitable for routinely pulling a camper, boat, or other significant trailer I would never think of the Q5. In my mind I see a full-size pick-up.

BTW, as an interesting side note, the Engineers at Hyundai have done the same math and determined the Hyundai Elantra is suitable for towing up to 3086 lbs.!!!! The thought of THAT is scary enough to keep me off the roads for a while.
I'm sure no one meant to offend... We're all looking to help in here and opinions are help. I do understand your opinion... You would prefer using a dedicate truck such as a 1 or 1/2 ton truck if you're towing all the time, but feel that the Q5 is better suited for convenient towing uses even if that means towing a camper to the Site to leave it there for the season then back again.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I use my 2.0T to tow my 2200 lbs popup camper. It pulls very well and I never felt the handling to be affected even in emergency maneuvers. I installed a brake controller though.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you will find that in the UK and Europe, the Q5 is considered to be a mighty fine and capable prime mover for sizeable caravans. Mind you when I say sizeable, I'm not talking about the sort of thing that JBT tows!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
I'm sure you will find that in the UK and Europe, the Q5 is considered to be a mighty fine and capable prime mover for sizeable caravans. Mind you when I say sizeable, I'm not talking about the sort of thing that JBT tows!
Ya, I'm looking to buy something like this: http://www.jayco.com/products/travel...ight-swift-slx
Still figuring out the model and of course weight will help decide ... and I'm not dead set on this maker, just using it as an example.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Poncherelly
Ya, I'm looking to buy something like this: http://www.jayco.com/products/travel...ight-swift-slx
Still figuring out the model and of course weight will help decide ... and I'm not dead set on this maker, just using it as an example.
I was also looking at this exact model. According to the GVWR and tongue (hitch) weight specifications, the Q5 could pull this line of trailers, assuming the Q is properly equiped with appropriate hitch and trailer brake controller.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
I was also looking at this exact model. According to the GVWR and tongue (hitch) weight specifications, the Q5 could pull this line of trailers, assuming the Q is properly equiped with appropriate hitch and trailer brake controller.
Ya, we were hopeing to get a model with an expanding wall but it pushes the GVWR to the tip of max load. Ideally we want to get maximum interior space, but having to pull fully dry each time might not be convenient.

Have you looked in to the trailer brake adjuster? I believe the Q5 is supposed to do this automagically but have read that many users installed an after market one.

If you do buy, please let me know how it feels on the back and I'll do the same.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Have you looked in to the trailer brake adjuster? I believe the Q5 is supposed to do this automagically but have read that many users installed an after market one.

If you do buy, please let me know how it feels on the back and I'll do the same.
I think you're confusing a trailer brake controller with trailer sway control. The trailer brake controller is after-market and controls the "gain" on the electric trailer brakes. Sway control is standard on the Q5 and the system automatically manipulates the brakes and throttle if unsafe trailer movements are detected.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm sure no one meant to offend...
ABSOLUTELY!

Quick Reply: Pulling a camper