Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Pulling a camper

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey CN. It's been a while. In fact not sure we've spoken since we could authored the trailer hitch install doc

I'm surprised the UK hitch has a higher rating than NA. I wonder why that is also... Ah well.

As for your points, I agree that forums in most cases are opinion and in some cases experience and that all must be taken at my own risk. I think I'll be speaking to the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say on the subject. I'd be surprised if they are as skeptical as others in here about the use of the Q5 V6 as a tow vehicle. I will agree however that I would never use it to two across country repeatedly, but for local camping trips I'd hoped that not to be a problem. After all, why boast about towing capacity if it's not meant for it.

On a side note, did you see my carbon fiber post? I must say it looks much better than the polished aluminum.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poncherelly
After all, why boast about towing capacity if it's not meant for it.
Good Point!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
... ALWAYS use the trailers gvwr in your calculations...
Of course I'll ask the dealer this tomorrow but thought I'd pose it now also... Does the GVWR include the water, clothes, food and anything else we pack in the trailer when leaving on out trip?
Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

The Q5 is as good of a towing vehicle is it can be for it's weight and a unibody vehicle. With large brakes, ESP, the big radiator, heat exchangers and auxiliary, coolant pump you can tow to the capacity with the ac on and get stuck in traffic and not overheat or shut off hot and not boil over( stops pretty well too). The stated capacity has a lawyer component to the number as well. If you have a wreck overweight it may become your fault even if it's the other guy's fault. I am pretty sure the 4400 lbs or any trailer capacity for that matter includes the trailer full and whatever is in the car passengers and luggage.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Of course I'll ask the dealer this tomorrow but thought I'd pose it now also... Does the GVWR include the water, clothes, food and anything else we pack in the trailer when leaving on out trip?
GVWR = gross vehicle weight rating, which is the maximum amount the trailer can weigh when loaded (including everything you mentioned above). The GVWR is clearing marked on all trailers. A smaller travel trailer will have a dry (curb) weight rougly 1000 lbs less than the GVRW.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by awryexperiment
I don't think the Q5 is a tow vehicle at all. The towing capabilites of the Q5 are a "convenience" feature. I guess if you want to put a small landscape trailer or motorcycle trailer back there then OK. Otherwise, I think you are asking for trouble. It will be either unsafe for you or put too much strain on the vehicle.
Because you clearly know more than Audi's engineers and they just chose 4400 lbs as a random number. What was your methodology for testing the Q5's tow rating?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at a high level- again, until you know your exact GVWR's weights, it's a guess...
and trailer weights etc are misunderstood when we ALL first start out

GVWR - gross vehicle weight rating
GCVWR - gross combined vehicle weight rating
GAWR - gross axle weight rating
hitch capacity
and that's just the car the trailer has the same ratings + tongue weight !

You can be fine on all the weights but one and then you're illegal
or at least overloaded....
typically with towables it's the gvwr or gcvwr that is exceeded
(because you can get everything else in line with a good wd hitch...)
with fifth wheels it's typically the rear axle weight rating
(since you can't put a wd hitch on a 5er.)

Why I gave some links over to rv sites where they speak that daily

good luck...

what most do when they first start out is think dry weight,
then they load up the kitchen sink and spend $9 on a cat scale weigh - http://catscale.com/ - and then it's OMG dump some stuff

sorry honey you can only bring 10 pair of shoes, not 50 ...
and do we really need a 50 pc cutlery set and 50 pc cookware set ?!?!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

On a side note, did you see my carbon fiber post? I must say it looks much better than the polished aluminum.
link?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

First of all, buy trailer tongue scale, something like...

http://www.sherlinedirect.com/index....Product_ID=169

then pay attention to fundamental difference on European and American trailers and towing laws.

In Europe the max towing speed is 80 km/h (55mph) and braking system is either no brakes or surge brakes.

Here in NA depending the state one can fly by going 85 mph and braking system is either no brakes or electric brakes (more common) or surge brakes.

European trailers have the axle (or rubber torsion 2 axle midpoint / real equalizing tandem mid point) on middle of bed or camper and this allows to control the tongue load to avoid excessive stress on back of the uni-body vehicle.

American trailers have axles far too back by some American reason i haven't figures out yet. (I know 18-wheelers have the axle load and bridge max axle load but who the hell would carry those laws to light duty trailers). This set-up requires WD hitches to prevent the tail of the vehicle to drag the ground.

The issue WD hitch fanatics don't bother focusing is that the WD was designed to pickup trucks with own frame that can handle the torsion force WH applies to hitch structure and hitch mounting point to vehicle back (the truck wall), which is one of the reasons Audi Q5 and Q7 owners manual doesn't mention anything about WD and VW Touareg with 7700 lbs tow rating specially prohibits the WD use.

In Europe they don't use WD so to me it's just a bandage over the trailer axle location problem and owners incapability to understand the load balance and load center gravity point effect.

So get the tongue weight scale and then find camper that haves axle(s) on middle of camper and then load the front or back of camper to control the tongue load.

and yes Jim was right about the 80% rule as I have heard both 75% and 80% from rated towing capacity.

I used my 2009 Q5 3.2 to tow all aluminum trailer (with all junk total weight about 2500 lbs) 1100 miles from Kansas City to Salt Lake City. Crossing the Rockies was only time I had to use the tiptronic side to keep rev's up as 3.2 lacks the torque but on smooth highway it had no issues.

Now towing same trips with TDI makes me wonder why the heck did I wait this long :-P<O</O

Last edited by kleinbus; 07-23-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
link?
Thread https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2813305
How to https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1m9kvv21e...20Console.docx

Quick Reply: Pulling a camper