Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Protective film for rear lid (bumper) questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Protective film for rear lid (bumper) questions

I just purchased some Audi Original plastic for $56 that will protect the top of the rear bumper. Personally, I'm not into the clear plastic that they put on cars, but as it relates to the top of the rear bumper I know it's not a matter of if, but when, it starts to get scratched. So anyway, you get this box with a roll of plastic, some liquid in a clear packet, a wipe cloth, and a plastic squiggie thing. The instructions are nothing but photos (instructions for dummies I suppose), but I have some questions before I start spraying this stuff on my bumper. First - which side of the plastic goes on the bumper - I assume it's the bottom of the side you peel off, but it doesn't say (cause there are no words). Also, what is this clear liquid? Is it glue? Once I put the plastic down, can it be removed or is it on for life? I doubt that many of you know about this accessory or have bought it, but it is probably pretty similar to clear bra's that folks put on the front of some cars. Appreciate any advice.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by njjoe
I just purchased some Audi Original plastic for $56 that will protect the top of the rear bumper. Personally, I'm not into the clear plastic that they put on cars, but as it relates to the top of the rear bumper I know it's not a matter of if, but when, it starts to get scratched. So anyway, you get this box with a roll of plastic, some liquid in a clear packet, a wipe cloth, and a plastic squiggie thing. The instructions are nothing but photos (instructions for dummies I suppose), but I have some questions before I start spraying this stuff on my bumper. First - which side of the plastic goes on the bumper - I assume it's the bottom of the side you peel off, but it doesn't say (cause there are no words). Also, what is this clear liquid? Is it glue? Once I put the plastic down, can it be removed or is it on for life? I doubt that many of you know about this accessory or have bought it, but it is probably pretty similar to clear bra's that folks put on the front of some cars. Appreciate any advice.
It sounds like this is nothing more than a standard automotive decal. The liquid is most likely water with a slight soap mixture. The side you peel off is the side that sticks. You spray the liquid all over the bumper and the film and your fingers. Get everything really wet so you can slide the film in position. Lift and reposition if you need to and spray more liquid anytime to keep it fluid. Then take the squeegie and squeeze of the liquid starting from the center and work toward the edges. get all the bubbles out. Google 'decal applications' or 'stone guards' and I'm know you'll find more instructions. I just researched this myself last week.

-Ray
Old 09-05-2009, 04:44 PM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto. I installed it on my Q5 as well, pretty simple, my wife helped me to make sure that it is exactly centered and becacuse one must work quickly to get a perfect result. After about 2 days it is fully adherent and sticks really well. You can peel it off any time if you want to, with no tell tale signs that it was there. It's a great way to protect the bumper!
Old 09-07-2009, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great info guys! Many thanks!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a side note, I had the place that applied the 3M film to the front of my Q5 also put a piece of film on the top of the rear bumper (which they did at no additional charge). It's definitely a great thing to have, especially if you have a four legged friend frequently jumping into and out of the back.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

My daughter uses a Bumper Bully or Bumper Badger that stays velcro'd on the carpeting in the rear area until she needs it when loading or unloadung something, then she flips it out over the bumper. The thing provides a fairly thick cushioning pad to protect the bumper from sharp cargo items you might rest on the edge while loading, as well as protecting from abrasion when kids drag their stuff out. Not recommended for use while driving about, but also useful when parking in the streets. FWIW
Old 09-12-2009, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrV
Ditto. I installed it on my Q5 as well, pretty simple, my wife helped me to make sure that it is exactly centered and becacuse one must work quickly to get a perfect result. After about 2 days it is fully adherent and sticks really well. You can peel it off any time if you want to, with no tell tale signs that it was there. It's a great way to protect the bumper!
Could you put up a photo of how it looks like after the installation? Thanks!
Old 09-13-2009, 04:49 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tonyshawk
Could you put up a photo of how it looks like after the installation? Thanks!
follow this link
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2762487&page=2
Old 09-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
My daughter uses a Bumper Bully or Bumper Badger that stays velcro'd on the carpeting in the rear area until she needs it when loading or unloadung something, then she flips it out over the bumper. The thing provides a fairly thick cushioning pad to protect the bumper from sharp cargo items you might rest on the edge while loading, as well as protecting from abrasion when kids drag their stuff out. Not recommended for use while driving about, but also useful when parking in the streets. FWIW
Can You post a pic of it or where you can buy it?
Old 09-13-2009, 12:41 PM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by supahan
Can You post a pic of it or where you can buy it?
This is where I ordered mine:
http://www.audipartssuperstore.com/c...oducts_id=1130

Quick Reply: Protective film for rear lid (bumper) questions