Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Prevent system from draining when removing calipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Prevent system from draining when removing calipers

When you disconnect brake hoses to remove calipers, how do you prevent system from draining? I plan to remove calipers for at least a complete day. Anything special about bleeding the system?
Old 09-17-2013, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
When you disconnect brake hoses to remove calipers, how do you prevent system from draining? I plan to remove calipers for at least a complete day. Anything special about bleeding the system?
there are hand tools that can clamp the hose shut until your ready to release

similar to these but a needle nose pliers

http://www.google.com/shopping/produ...CL8BEPMCMAk4Cg
Old 09-17-2013, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Clamping a high pressure brake hose is a very, very bad idea. It will cause damage and shorten the life of the vehicle occupants and the hose. They're made from a polymer that's axially stiff to resist ballooning and a mushy brake pedal feel. They do not tolerate being crushed! Some lines on motorcycles and high performance applications are rubber over stainless steel braid. Even a worse idea to clamp those. Bottom line, play it safe and use a rubber vacuum cap or rubber "V" style plug. You can buy inexpensive caps/plugs at all automotive parts stores.

Last edited by ELEVENS; 09-17-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do NOT clamp a brake hose. Use a cap. You will still need to re-fill/bleed the system when you are done.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Clamping a high pressure brake hose is a very, very bad idea. It will cause damage and shorten the life of the vehicle occupants and the hose. They're made from a polymer that's axially stiff to resist ballooning and a mushy brake pedal feel. They do not tolerate being crushed! Some lines on motorcycles and high performance applications are rubber over stainless steel braid. Even a worse idea to clamp those. Bottom line, play it safe and use a rubber vacuum cap or rubber "V" style plug. You can buy inexpensive caps/plugs at all automotive parts stores.
This. I've used golf tees on high pressure fuel lines before, not sure if it would work on brake hoses.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
I've done brakes for decades on a variety of cars, and I've never had to disconnect the brake lines from the calipers when removing them for pad replacement. Other than actually replacing the calipers, why would you disconnect them from the hydraulic system?
Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rs4-380
do NOT clamp a brake hose. Use a cap. You will still need to re-fill/bleed the system when you are done.
Why bother to cap - use new fluid anyway -
Old 09-17-2013, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Reisen
This. I've used golf tees on high pressure fuel lines before, not sure if it would work on brake hoses.
It does work with brake lines.

Originally Posted by Reggie
Why bother to cap - use new fluid anyway -
On some cars, if air gets into the ABS system, the system has to cycled to bleed. Use a golf tee and replace the fluid after the new calipers are installed.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steppenaudi
I've done brakes for decades on a variety of cars, and I've never had to disconnect the brake lines from the calipers when removing them for pad replacement. Other than actually replacing the calipers, why would you disconnect them from the hydraulic system?
OP never mentioned pad replacement. He specifically stated that he was removing the calipers.