Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 08:49 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Premium gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 04:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjandersonn
Exactly. If the cost of premium gas was a concern, why did you buy an Audi? I can think of a whole list of more economical vehicles...

I would seriously run premium though, if there's any chance it helps with the carbon buildup issues it'll be worth it.
i dont know about that being "non issue"... people spend great deal of time "researching" best price and haggling just to save a few hundred dollars of off sale price... if you knew that it's ok to use regular gas over premium, that amounts to (potentially) a thousand or two over the years in savings.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Putting 87 octane gas in a S4 is like buying a race horse and feeding it junk food Maybe one can save a few more bucks by using the Kmart brand dino oil instead of the Audi recommanded motor oil
Old 03-26-2012, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

agree... No reason to use premium. The comment about detergents is false. There is no more or less detergent in premium gas. The only thing you lose is a bit of horsepower. I have noticed absolutely no difference.

Give that 5 bucks a fillup to charity. If you fill up once a month, that is 250 dollars.. lots of mouths fed.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by radman2020
Give that 5 bucks a fillup to charity. If you fill up once a month, that is 250 dollars.. lots of mouths fed.
Doesnt $5 times 12 months equal to $60 a year ????????????
Old 03-26-2012, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

"!!!!!!!!"

I was responding to:

"....so thats $5 a fill up. ..."

I fill up once a week. If you are only filling up once a month...then the difference is truly negligible.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default A Reply

Here's a post from another site, note the cross selling between Audi and Shell. So I endorse only using a top-tier premium gasoline in my Audi Q5, 3.2:

Yes, I am aware of the sponsorship deal that exists between Audi and Shell, and I know the baggage that comes with cross-selling tactics, as I worked for a large corporation for many years that had a very aggressive consumer finance division.

However, I do take seriously the admonition to use only a Top Tier fuel in the R8. And it just happened that Shell stations were the most convenient ones to me where I lived in Chicago (except for one BP station that routinely charged the highest prices in all of Chicago). So I formed the habit of using Shell whenever I could . . . and was admittedly made more comfortable by the fact that Audi specifically endorsed Shell as a good fuel for the car.

Regarding pricing, while the average price of a major brand will almost certainly be higher in an area than the average price of the discount brands, there is considerable variation from station to station of the same brand in the same town. In both Chicago and Florida, I have found price gaps as wide as 7 cents a gallon between Shell stations that are a few miles apart. And the price of a discount brand near an interstate interchange was often inside that gap.

Where I now live in Florida, the most convenient station to me is a Mobil station, which I had been avoiding because Mobil was not on the Top Tier list when I moved down here about a year ago.

As it happened, this thread caused me to look up the Top Tier list for the first time in more than a year, and guess what? Mobil is now on the list. So I'm going to start filling up there as well as at Shell stations (of which there are considerably more in our area for some reason).

But a question for you, Cali . . . .

Do you, too, hold the view that all gas at the point of final sale is identical, regardless of brand, or that when one buys gas at a Shell station one may or may not be getting the detergent additives Shell advertises depending on which fuel was cheaper from the distributor the day the station put in the order?

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...#ixzz1qEezDwND
Old 03-26-2012, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Putting 87 octane gas in a S4 is like buying a race horse and feeding it junk food Maybe one can save a few more bucks by using the Kmart brand dino oil instead of the Audi recommanded motor oil
If this statement is directed at me, my S4 has only been filled with 91+. I appreciate the extra few hp. Let's face it, the 2.0T is nothing close to being a performance vehicle and it is not special by any means. It is a nice ride, but that's where it ends. Oil companies love the extra 10% they can get from each one of you, which in total adds up to billions a year. No one here has been able to explain why other manufacturers can build turbo DI engines which only require 87 octane, yet generate more power that Audi's engine.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cptkloss
i dont know about that being "non issue"... people spend great deal of time "researching" best price and haggling just to save a few hundred dollars of off sale price... if you knew that it's ok to use regular gas over premium, that amounts to (potentially) a thousand or two over the years in savings.
We are ingrained to haggle over cars. You ever go to Macy's and do that? Which btw they will generally take at least 10% off. Most folks don't want to pay more than someone else. On a frequent basis you see people asking is this a good deal? I would think quite a few folks here could pay sticker for the car but where's the fun in that? The purchase price of the car isn't the only thing to consider. You have fuel, insurance, maintance, tag fees, and if you're oh so lucky property or excise taxes every year. If you have to go bare bones on insurance and cheap gas to get in the vehicle then maybe you shouldn't bother. On a smaller scale it's akin to what people were doing buying ridiculous houses they could never afford just because the bank said we'll give you the money. Seems the gas topic comes up every couple of months. People fall on both sides but at the end of the day, Audi says use premium and that's what I do.

Oh and whoever said premium car companies require premium gas, I had a Lexus GX that required regular.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

"If you have to go bare bones on insurance and cheap gas to get in the vehicle then maybe you shouldn't bother"

i dont think you're "getting it"..

comparing insurance choices to gas choices in terms of savings, doesnt make sense at all. i have made a clause in what i wrote "if you knew that it's ok to use regular gas over premium" - i hope that you do realise that buying cheap car insurance gives you just that , initially inexpensive payment but very significant increase in risk of losing huge amounts of money in the end. if, as many argue, using regular gas over premium doesnt have any dertimental effect on the engine, a) that risk of asymetrical loses does not exist and b)you cant really call it "cheap" to skew your argument - but rather "a logical choice"
Old 03-26-2012, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm from Canada and have friends that have BMW that have had problems with using shell premium. I use Husky gas. They're not listed in the top tier gas website but it's the only 93 octane that I know off in my area.

Quick Reply: Premium gas