Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 08:49 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Premium gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium gas

Just picked up my 2012 Q5 2.0t yesterday and didn't know it took premium gas. What are your thoughts on using regular now and then? How important is it to use top tier detergent gas?
Old 03-25-2012, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Premium car ... Premium gas. I would stick with premium.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Stay the Course

The official Audi line is....."very important". I'm OK with this (although it's possible to get a bad tankful just about anywhere), and have generally found support for that approach elesewhere in this forum. IMHO, it's not worth the aggravation to deviate from that.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you fill up 17 gallons (which is a pretty empty Q) the spread between premium and regular is what? 30 cents? so thats $5 a fill up. Get one less latte a week and you're good.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
if you fill up 17 gallons (which is a pretty empty Q) the spread between premium and regular is what? 30 cents? so thats $5 a fill up. Get one less latte a week and you're good.
Great point, here in Wisconsin I can get it for only !0 cents more on Mondays.

I did try the mid grade on our trip to Florida & no problems but again at $1.70 more per tank why would I??
Its a AUDI.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I found some Audi Technical documents and 91 octane is "recommended for maximum performance". That being said, you'll cause no harm to the engine by running lower octane gas (87 or higher) given the amount of electronic nannies on the car. In my case, I'll use regular in the winter and premium in the summer. Premium gas for a premium car is BS. I also have a F150 Ecoboost which gets along just fine with 87 octane. The EB has a higher specific output than the 2.0T. Also, Hyundai/Kia state that 87 is fine with their 4-cyl DI turbo engines. In higher temperature/high load conditions timing can be retarded and a few ponies will be lost, that's why I'll use 91 in the summer. Also, I'm often in rural areas where the premium gas sits in the tanks without much turnover. I'd rather the engine be fed fresh 87 than stale 91. The conventional wisdom is that better fuel efficiency is gained with higher octane gas. There is as much heat energy in regular gas as there is premium, and timing adjustment results in lower power, not lower fuel economy. The reason why premium vehicle manufacturers state that premium gas is required is that they know that it is not a barrier to someone buying the car, and historically premium gas was required for high compression engines, so they continue with what they've always preached.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

about that "91 octane" gas.... in my area most gas stations sell 87, 89 and 93... is mid-grade (89) ok for 3.2 v6?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
I found some Audi Technical documents and 91 octane is "recommended for maximum performance". That being said, you'll cause no harm to the engine by running lower octane gas (87 or higher) given the amount of electronic nannies on the car. In my case, I'll use regular in the winter and premium in the summer. Premium gas for a premium car is BS. I also have a F150 Ecoboost which gets along just fine with 87 octane. The EB has a higher specific output than the 2.0T. Also, Hyundai/Kia state that 87 is fine with their 4-cyl DI turbo engines. In higher temperature/high load conditions timing can be retarded and a few ponies will be lost, that's why I'll use 91 in the summer. Also, I'm often in rural areas where the premium gas sits in the tanks without much turnover. I'd rather the engine be fed fresh 87 than stale 91. The conventional wisdom is that better fuel efficiency is gained with higher octane gas. There is as much heat energy in regular gas as there is premium, and timing adjustment results in lower power, not lower fuel economy. The reason why premium vehicle manufacturers state that premium gas is required is that they know that it is not a barrier to someone buying the car, and historically premium gas was required for high compression engines, so they continue with what they've always preached.
You will change your mind when your valves are all clogged up with carbon and Audi wouldnt cover the repair because you did not use the require octane gas.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
You will change your mind when your valves are all clogged up with carbon and Audi wouldnt cover the repair because you did not use the require octane gas.
As I have stated before, that is exactly why I have and will continue to save all gas receipts showing the use of premium (93) grade top tier fuel for all of my fill-ups. I suggest all new owners do the same knowing what we know about the carbon build-ups that are somewhat common in Audi's DI engines. It may not help prevent the problem but can help tip the scales if and when the finger pointing begins.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Pure garbage, there in no basis in fact that using less than premium fuel will cause valves to accumulate carbon.

Quick Reply: Premium gas