Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pkalltheway2000
the problem with owning an audi, anything i didn't experience in a japanese car i used to own before IS considered NORMAL in AUDI's standard...i guess it is something i have to learn to live with it...
It's okay, according to Honda my Odyssey spastically applying ABS while I'm in a wide turn/curve (possibly going across oncoming traffic) is totally normal (despite being a recent development).
Old 06-07-2013, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pkalltheway2000
the problem with owning an audi, anything i didn't experience in a japanese car i used to own before IS considered NORMAL in AUDI's standard...i guess it is something i have to learn to live with it...
Just as a reference point: both Toyota and Honda (as well as Ford from what I've seen), suggest that oil use at anything greater than 1 qt/1,000 miles is considered excessive. Anything better than that, and "it's not an issue".

I'm not saying that oil consumption on the 2.0T is or is not a problem, but in comparison to what the volume car manufacturers consider normal, Audi seems quite willing to address concerns that others won't.

FWIW from an Audi-NooB
Old 06-07-2013, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This was done on our 2011 Q5 2.0T and I am happy to report that the new breather fixed our oil consumption problem which was getting progressively worse.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just had this issue on my Wife's 2009 3.2 Q5... note, NOT the 2.0T engine model.

Mileage was 41,300 when the warning "Add quart of oil, then continue driving." First time we have ever seen this message.

Took to dealer for 4 year / 45K mile service. Advised them of the issue. They told me about the breather valve, and could be the issue. However, I wouldn't accept the answer because I am coincidentally have oil consumption issues in my 2010 V70 oddly enough also with a 3.2 engine.

So, came back, and there was a leak from the timing chain cover (I'll have to confirm on the service paperwork), and oil was leaking into the exhaust and being burned off. Though we had no black exhaust or soot on the rear WHITE bumper.

Just an FYI from a different engine with an oil consumption issue.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm at 3900 miles and haven't noticed any oil level drop in my Q5 Hybrid (2.0 TFSI). I did change the oil at 1000 miles to help clear out silicon and other manufacturing residues from the engine, and I sent a sample off for a used oil analysis (UOA). I told them the oil was probably 5W-40, but their viscosity test results suggested the factory oil fill was a lighter weight oil. Curious.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2010 3.2L had the oil light come on at 43k. First time since I bought it. I added a dipstick and check it weekly and have never had to add oil. Never moved from the top line, strange I thought but happy all the same.
So I added a full litre and 1200 miles later.....down another litre.
I can't believe that AOA says that .5L every 600miles is ok. By that I would have put in 8 litres in 10k miles and that would be acceptable.
I will be watching closely as I only have 5k left of warranty.

Have the 3.2L had as much issues as the turbos ?

Last edited by flybooey; 09-02-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2011 Q5 2.0 T. It was an oil burner until they replaced the PCV Valve and seal. Only took 2years to get Audi to listen. They have problems with their 2.0T and they know it. You really have to be persistent with them. Don't accept the line " Oh, that's just normal for the engine to burn that much oil". I'm trying to get my wife to trade it in on a non-Audi vehicle but since we paid cash she is reluctant. I'm wondering what damage has been done to the engine prior to the fix and if anyone out there knows please respond.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Greg Meiman
I have an Audi Q5 2.0T 3.2L that burns 1Qt of oil every 2300 miles. The dealer says this is normal but I find that hard to believe. It's a 2011 model and has burned oil at that rate since I bought it but is getting worse. They told me to just keep track of the oil consumption( like I've been doing ). Thinking of trading out of Audi. Your thoughts?
Not sure what your talking about..... do you have a 2.0t or a 3.2l?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SeaBlue
Not sure what your talking about..... do you have a 2.0t or a 3.2l?
I have a 2.0T
Old 11-11-2013, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default FYI, 2013 Q5 also has the problem.

Originally Posted by AMCBimmer
All,

These steps are important for you to get this issues resolved. I see a lot of oil consumption post so I feel I should explain the necessary steps to get this issue resolved. Audi knows that this issue affects all 2.0t engines up to 2011. The models include A4, A5, and Q5. This does not include the A3. At some point in 2011, Audi fixed the problem so I do not know the cut off point on production to when they fixed the issue. Audi realized they had a manufacturing problem with piston/rings.

Necessary Steps:
1. You must call your Audi Dealership to setup an appointment for an oil consumption test. Do not accept no from the service advisor or appointment center.

2. At the time of drop off do not let them tell you they will top it off and you are good to go. You must get the oil consumption test if the advisor is still giving you excuses please go see the service manager. If he/she does not want to perform it you may want to leave and call Audi Customer Experience Center.

3. If the dealership agrees to perform the Oil Consumption TSB then you will get a new breather valve, crankshaft seal and there will be a software update done. This software update reduces the internal engine pressure so as not to blow out the seal or the breather valve. At this time, the 1st part of the test is being started. The dealership will drain your oil and you must have a factory filter on the vehicle so the results are not blamed on your independent doing the oil change. During this 1st part your oil will be measured by weight then put back in your vehicle.

4. When you recieve the vehicle back you must drive the vehicle like normal. If the oil light comes back on DO NOT ADD oil or you will have to start the test over again.

5. When/If the light comes back on please return to the dealership ASAP. I would recommend you drive it there with the light on and ask for the 2nd part of the oil consumption test to be completed. You will need to drop the vehicle off. Again DO NOT ADD OIL.

6. Your dealer then will contact technical assistance and report the measurements. At this time, Audi technical assistance will decide on if you will be getting pistons or not. If the oil consumption is more than 1/4 a quart in 600 miles or 1 quart in less than 2500 miles this would be abnormal.

The dealer does not make the decision on whether you get pistons. Those of you that get upset with you dealer need to realize they did not make the call. If you have further concerns you should contact Audi Customer Experience to speak to an agent.

Those of you that have 2012 and newer should not have a problem. Although I have read some people on here with 2012 still have the issue. 2013 models definitely will not have the issues as these Q5s all have an updated engine code. Those of you that change your oil like Audi suggests should switch to every 5k miles. I would not recommend Audi's interval. Any other questions please let me know. I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.
I have read your document, very well written. However not sure why you are so confident 2012 model and later does not have the problem, I bought brand new 2013 Q5 2.0 Quartro around March this year, the dealer here is very nice, they follow exactly the process as you listed above, before 5000 miles, my oil lights on two times. After 5000 mile break-in period, it happens again within 1800 miles, and they started monitoring and oil consumption test, and soon they confirmed the oil test is failed. what is even worse, they told me that the German engineers told them the engine has to be completely replaced to solve the issue. is it possible that the old 2011 engine is misplaced on my 2013 Q5? Now I am deeply worried that my "brand new" car loses its value with the replaced engine. ouch! just like a new baby has replaced his heart after 7 month. You know how I feel.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps