Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now Adui wants my car in...again... for further inspection to decide if they want to replace the whole engine because the consumption was so incredibly high. Yet another trip.

We're pushing for a long term loaner from the dealer we bought it from since it clearly was a pre-existing issue. Legally, they have no obligation, but it's a pretty crappy situation.

I got a price to change the water pump. $420, normally around $750. Tempted to do that too.

I'll ask about the tensioner.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw some posts here about PCV replacement in relation to oil consumption. I have oil consumption and I had my PCV replaced by dealer at ~75K miles. I paid ~$350. Was it supposed to be done under new warranty? Thanks.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by motoguy128
UPDATE: I contacted the Audi dealer my Indy recommended. Audi extended the warranty 18 months starting in Jan of this year of all affected vehicles regardless of mileage as long as no repair was previously done with oil consumption being resolved.

Step 1 will be the PCV, reflash ECU and check consumption. I'm sure it will fail, so I suspect a bottom end rebuild is in my future. Maybe it will work out in early Oct. when were out of town on vacation for a week.
Can you please clarify what do you mean by Audi extending warranty "18 months ... regarding of mileage". Does it go beyond 80,000 miles now? Thanks!
Old 09-01-2015, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by max90034
Can you please clarify what do you mean by Audi extending warranty "18 months ... regarding of mileage". Does it go beyond 80,000 miles now? Thanks!

Yes, it appears it does sinec mine has 97k and they are covering i, but ONLY if a oil consumption repair has never been attempted before.

I'm the 3rd owner.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by max90034
I saw some posts here about PCV replacement in relation to oil consumption. I have oil consumption and I had my PCV replaced by dealer at ~75K miles. I paid ~$350. Was it supposed to be done under new warranty? Thanks.
That should have been covered. It should have also included a ECU reflash to reduce crankcase pressure.... and then the consumption test. I'm not sure if you can recover costs now. There was a end of June 2015 deadline for submitting claims for expenses incurred outside of warranty.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Had my Q in last week to replace pistons. After the PCV and ECU flash it chewed through a liter in 700 miles. Before, it was a liter in about 300 miles.

I was really nervous they weren't going to cover it, as one oil change (the 45k) was done late (at 47k, still under AudiCare), and another was a DIY job where I never thought to record the exact mileage or save receipts for the oil and filter. Still, Penske Automotive (the dealer) and Audi came through and covered everything, so I'm very pleased they did the right thing.

I also had the dealer replace the plugs, rear main seal, and timing chain / tensioner, while they were in there.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by motoguy128
That should have been covered. It should have also included a ECU reflash to reduce crankcase pressure.... and then the consumption test. I'm not sure if you can recover costs now. There was a end of June 2015 deadline for submitting claims for expenses incurred outside of warranty.
They replaced PCV not as a part of Test 1 or anything related to oil consumption issue but because I got engine check light and they diagnosed it as bad PCV. I do not know if they also did ECU reflash in that case. I do not even know if they put in a new PCV model or not...
Old 09-01-2015, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Getting mine fixed

I dropped off my A4 last night for it's 45k maintenance. I only have about 34k on the car. A few months back I brought it in for the oil consumption test, but never brought it back after for the check up until now. I get a call this morning saying they are doing the repair to replace the pistons.

I have a brand new A6 for a loaner. They asked if I minded keeping it until next week lol
Old 09-14-2015, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dropped off my 58k mile Q for pistons/rings today and spoke to the tech.

I asked about replacing my tensioner + chain while the engine's out and he agreed it makes sense (said he'd do the same if it was his car). Charging me for parts only (~$240) and inspecting the guides while he has it apart.

Apparently they replace the crank seal as part of Part I - I was going to ask to replace that as well.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just got my Audi 2011 Q5 2.0 back from service.

It had failed Step 1 of the oil consumption test: was burning 1.39 L oil / 1000 miles.

Dealer replaced pistons as expected with no charge to me. Took 6 calendar days, received a 2015 Q5 loaner (which has MUCH LESS turbo lag -- way improved).

However, the dealer did require that I pay $122.83 for a full oil change prior to starting the step 1 oil consumption test. I had used an independent mechanic to do one of the big services, so the dealership claimed they couldn't do an oil consumption test when they couldn't be sure that OEM parts were used during the service's oil change.

So, all in all, pretty good. Glad I won't have to buy so much damn oil.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps