Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Placed order for Q5.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Placed order for Q5.

Placed order on July 15th for 2015 Q5 TDI, Scuba Blue/Black, Tech Pkg., Sport Interior. Now just have to wait patiently another 8-12 weeks for delivery, wish me luck. What kind of periodic notifications can I expect from dealer/Audi? At what point does the window close for making changes to order, e.g. changing from black to chestnut brown interior?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I ordered mine on July 26th, 2015 Q5 2.0TFSI Premium Plus, Moonlight Blue/Chestnut Brown, Tech pkg., sport interior, and Bang & Olufsen sound system. I was told it would take up to 3 months.

It really doesn't hurt to ask the dealer if you can make modifications to your order. I remember someone on this forum mentioned they changed their order 1 month in and still got it 3 months after their original order.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no magic number when you can change your order and still get it in time. It really depends on the production cycle. My dealer told me that if they get X amount of orders with the same color and spec's they produce them all at once. If you go and make changes then your order could be delayed. I don't know if this is entirely true but this is what I was told. Orders typically take about 3 months-
Old 07-29-2014, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wyiauta
What kind of periodic notifications can I expect from dealer/Audi?
Audi's system will send out emails after the car's been built, when it hits the German port, and when it hits the US port. Dealers can see finer-grained status and it's up to them when or if they give you any updates as far as current dates. You can always check in with your salesperson and get the current status and ETAs.

Originally Posted by jaybar
There's no magic number when you can change your order and still get it in time. It really depends on the production cycle. My dealer told me that if they get X amount of orders with the same color and spec's they produce them all at once. If you go and make changes then your order could be delayed. I don't know if this is entirely true but this is what I was told. Orders typically take about 3 months-
The factory schedules similar vehicles to be built at the same time, since it's more efficient to have the assembly line set up for a particular configuration than having every vehicle be vastly different. So if you make a change that doesn't move it into a different "configuration" (whatever it is they use to group similar vehicles) then you should remain on-schedule, but if you make a bigger change then you'd be changed to a different build week based on the new configuration.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having worked for Ford Assembly plant in past and currently for AGC a windsheild and sidelite supplier. Production schedule is most important, suppliers must build parts etc to satisfy order. The schedule is actually totally automated based on orders. The suppliers are notified what to build by a computer system ie how many of what part # are needed. Only those exact amount of part numbers are shipped plus a small buffer for damage or loss. A quarter and monthly forecast is provided as guidance, however quanities to ship to asm plant change daily.

We mainly produce mass production vehicles high volume, so we are constantly shipping ford 150 windshields, toyota camry, etc windsheilds. Something like 15,000 pcs a month. So the schedule is simple, we always run the product, have extra stock and can be flexible. For small volume runs like mercedes, cadillac, telsa we often run a months of worth production in a few days in order to be flexible.

I suspect you can change up until then whenever that cutoff occurs, a month sounds right, but I would suspect what closer to the build date. Are far as the assembly plant they are flexible and can build any style of that platform. They don't have to reconfigure the line. Its all about having the material in the pipeline on site that day to buld.

I would call your dealer.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can make changes to your order until it goes into production.
My salesman could tell when that was when he made my change of wheels.
If it gets denied, then it is too late as the vehicle has gone into production.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 2014 vs 2015

Congrats with the new orders! I was trying to find out of any of you considered the 2014s vs 2015s? I've got to get into a new vehicle relatively quickly and in Northern California some dealers have 2014 certified pre owned and new 2014s as they are beginning to get in some 2015s.

I'm wondering if the 2014s should be offered at a good deal now as the 2015s are coming in etc...? I'm not to concerned with with idea of 2014 or 2015 as I'll likely keep the car for at least 6-8 years.

Thoughts on negotiating for the best price on new or pre-certified 2014s?