Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Overboard with PlastiDip ;)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overboard with PlastiDip ;)

Hey guys,

So today I picked up a spray can of PlastiDip to black out my grille on the Q5, and I may have gone a little bit overboard. The grille came out perfect, then I blacked out the rear rings, and all looked good. Then I decided I would try something a bit different that I hadn't seen before, and plastidip just under the headlights where that groove is. Not really sure how the dip will hold up around the lights, I didn't do the greatest job on them. Have a look at the pics, let me know what you think

Final Result
Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like to see a full frontal shot of the final look. Dont know if I am allowed say that... might have to report myself and then warn me.
Whatever about the car... Plastidip on it makes you look younger!
Old 03-29-2012, 03:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice job!!! How 'bout the chrome roof racks and the rings around the fogs???
Old 03-29-2012, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
Hey guys,
So today I picked up a spray can of PlastiDip to black out my grille on the Q5,...
did i miss this image??
Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Everything looks good except from the headlight.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can understand blacking out the grill, and even the rings in the back if that's what your into (I think they look good, classy even). But, defacing the area below the headlights is just plain wrong IMO. Your bought a finely crafted German luxury vehicle and decided to graffiti it? I hope that stuff is removable. The final thing that did it for me was your addition of an "S" badge to the back of the car. Why? Were the 2 "S-line" badges on the front quarter panels not enough? Which, by the way, it truly what you have - an S-"line" edition of the Q5, not a true "S" model. I understand the need for individuality, but it seems as though you are just crying out for attention.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The grill and the rings looks great IMO. Headlights not so much. I have a suggestion since you blacked out the rings in the back have you considered blacking out the rest of the Chrome badging? i.e. (the Q5 and 3.2 or 2.0T and possible the rings on the grill since it seems odd to have black in the back and chrome in the front. Just some ideas!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default instructions?

I definitely like the look of the grill surround - can you post how you did it? How did you remove the grill, what was required? As the bentley manuals are no longer available (or least have yet to find one), not sure how to remove the grill surround..

-john
Old 03-29-2012, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CB17
Nice job!!! How 'bout the chrome roof racks and the rings around the fogs???
Yeah I'm definitely considering doing the roof racks and fogs. Fogs seem easy, those are just a matter of tricky taping in such a small spot and making sure I don't get any of the stuff on the bulbs. Roof racks, I would need a ladder, maybe a tarp, it would probably go really awry if I got any in the crevices of the pano roof, I already had it replaced from warping under pressure.

Originally Posted by loscoz
did i miss this image??
Sorry, should have been more specific - I blacked out the bezel around the grill, not the whole grill. I like those vertical chrome strips, they really the car stand out IMO.

Originally Posted by PJQ5S
The final thing that did it for me was your addition of an "S" badge to the back of the car. Why?
Trust me, I take lots of crap from people about it, but it's kinda funny when people are so confused by it. I know it's a lot like people who throw a V-tec sticker on their Corolla, but a friend bought me the $5 decal so I threw it on, I'm debadging the car today anyway.

Anyway, I just tried the headlight thing for fun, plus I've never seen something like that done to a Q5. I made sure it's fully removable but I'll keep it on for a couple days, just wanted to have some fun with the PlastiDip. PlastiDip seems to be incredibly forgiving, and it couldn't be easier to use - just make sure you understand how to apply it and clean it up. There was a great DIY by DipYourCar.com that I watched on another thread - video below. I'll take a full frontal pic and post in an hour or so.

Oh also ERPGURU, I didn't remove the grill, you have to take out probably 100 screws (yes I'm exaggerating) and take the whole bumper off to get that silly little grill out. As long as you tape it off, you're good.

http://youtu.be/otCtkVePX_0
Old 03-29-2012, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's a better daylight picture.

Quick Reply: Overboard with PlastiDip ;)