Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Opinions: PZero vs Sport Maxx GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions: PZero vs Sport Maxx GT

I don't care about prices, just looking for feedback on wear rates, noise, and especially performance.

I had the PZero's as OE on my '15 SQ5. Anyone have the Dunlops?
Time to put new summer rubber on (after the powder coat gets done) and want to choose the best option.

IMO, the PZero's wear extremely fast, performance has been great, and road noise is at a minimum.

Would welcome thoughts and opinions here before I get the new ones ordered.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:33 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I have the Dunlops on the SQ5 and would never get the Pirellis based on past experiences and current experience on the S6. The Dunlops do wear quick considering it is a summer tire on a heavy suv. (I assume you have dedicated winter tires which makes them last more time, but not miles )
I was holding out as long as possible to see if anyone else was going to come to market in stock 21" size, but it seems unlikely. I even emailed Michelin inquiring about the Pilot SuperSport (the best summer tire ever) but they are not going to make one in the 255/40-21 size.

Continental makes one in 21" size, but I do not know much about it on the SQ from reading the forums.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought new shoes for my '14 SQ5, but decided on the Conti Extreme DWS 06 instead...

Mostly b/c I don't like to put my snow tires on too early...and they're really quite good in the light snow, with having more than decent traction on the dry and wet roads.

Just another point of view.

Jason
Old 06-16-2016, 06:54 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonJ
I just bought new shoes for my '14 SQ5, but decided on the Conti Extreme DWS 06 instead...

Mostly b/c I don't like to put my snow tires on too early...and they're really quite good in the light snow, with having more than decent traction on the dry and wet roads.

Just another point of view.

Jason
You must have the 20" since there is no Conti Extreme DWS 06 in 255/40-21
Old 06-16-2016, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crap...I didn't see that you're running 21's.

Sorry!
Old 06-16-2016, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, Michelin is my preferred tire. I love them.

PZero's already worn out. I used them last summer and into the fall. Swapped to my Blizzak's for winter and put Summer's back on around April. They are already bad.

I could give the Dunlop's a try. I have been holding out for Michelins too.

I had Conti DWS on my last car with 20s and they were good, but holy crap they are loud.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish Michelin would have offered the A/S 3+ in the 21" size, it would have saved us $2400 for the wheels we just bought.

What is sad, if Audi had just went with a wider wheel there are other 21" tire sizes that are more common and available.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just an update to the thread for anyone trying to chose between these as well.

My Audi tech said to go Dunlop over the Pirelli's. He told me the Pirelli's are hard to balance and wear out faster.

However he told me that any tire with an "R01 Audi" rating on it, is rated for use on the R8, and some of those tires get 10K max on them before being worn out. Both of these OE options for our 21s have that rating.

Short of Michelin coming out with the PSSports for this rim size (here's hoping for next summer!), I'm going to give the Dunlop's a go and see if they do better than the PZero's did.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Just an update to the thread for anyone trying to chose between these as well.

My Audi tech said to go Dunlop over the Pirelli's. He told me the Pirelli's are hard to balance and wear out faster.

However he told me that any tire with an "R01 Audi" rating on it, is rated for use on the R8, and some of those tires get 10K max on them before being worn out. Both of these OE options for our 21s have that rating.

Short of Michelin coming out with the PSSports for this rim size (here's hoping for next summer!), I'm going to give the Dunlop's a go and see if they do better than the PZero's did.
The best set of summer tire I've ever owned have been the the Sport Maxx GT -brilliant handling and unparalleled handling.

If I hadn't got a smoking deal on a set of DWS, I would have bought a second set immediately.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good to know! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Opinions: PZero vs Sport Maxx GT