Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Oil drain plug access??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by awryexperiment
I had a 2010 3.2L and now a 2013 3.0T and have changed the oil in both via the oil plug. I have no experience with an extractor and use the drain plug out of habits formed over 25 years.

Performing an oil change on the Audi Q5 3.0T engine involves average effort if you drain using gravity. I am thin and flexible enough that I don't need to use a jack or ramps. The majority of the effort goes into removing the pan under the engine compartment. You need some torx-drive sockets for some of the fasteners.

My last oil change took about 20-25 minutes start-to-finish.

Other guys on here report excellent results using an extractor... so I think you can't lose either way you go.

Thank you to everyone for your replies, I really appreciate the info. I've learned that there is indeed no trap door in the lower pan to access the drain plug and that oil changes are done successfully both by dropping the pan by removing all the screws as well as with the extractor through the dipstick tube. I like the gravity method from below the car to ensure I am getting all the old oil out along with anything else in the bottom of the pan, so the idea of cutting my own trap door is interesting. If I do I will post pics. Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

What size is the torx socket for the drain plug?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

T45 for the drain plug. There's also a one-use o-ring beneath it.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
T45 for the drain plug. There's also a one-use o-ring beneath it.
Thanks Redd. But my original 2013 2.0T was a hex, not a torx. Even bought a new one from Audi to compare. They are indeed different.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Odd that would change. I heard someone call it a "number six hex" which might mean six mm, on an earlier year. I suppose these are all less expensive to manufacture, or lighter (which helps the EPA rating again) and there's a solid engineering reason for them. Or, someone's bastard son was an odd drain plug bolt supplier.(G)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:18 AM
Institutionalized Member

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

Eh, this is the first vehicle I think I'll just let the dealership change.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The first two oil changes, I got lucky and had dealership send me a discount coupon in the mail shortly before I needed them. Brought the cost down to about $20 more than buying my own oil and filter, so I had them do it. Last year, no handy coupon, so I bought an oil extractor and DIY. If I get really ambitious, I'll take off the road pan next time, and cut an access plate. There's also a Japanese replacement for the drain plug that allows you to open a small valve, drain it, close it again. So with a length of tubing...no tools to drop in the oil etc. either.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by OlyS4
Thank you to everyone for your replies, I really appreciate the info. I've learned that there is indeed no trap door in the lower pan to access the drain plug and that oil changes are done successfully both by dropping the pan by removing all the screws as well as with the extractor through the dipstick tube. I like the gravity method from below the car to ensure I am getting all the old oil out along with anything else in the bottom of the pan, so the idea of cutting my own trap door is interesting. If I do I will post pics. Thanks again!
I put a trap door in my RS4 but found I missed being able to see all the suspension and other parts so I ended up taking the belly pan off anyway
Old 01-24-2018, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Reggie I'm with you on this one.When I owned a garage we pulled the "belly pan" even on vehicles with access ports.There's so much that can't be picked up without doing this.On the Q5 it's a reasonably trouble-free process to drop it.Problem I'm facing is where I live it's pretty much been -20c for a month and I've got my major service coming up in my unheated garage.Sympathy please !
Old 01-24-2018, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I took the pan off and draINED MY 2015 tdi from below.
The 19 screws didnt take very long to remove or replace. sounds worse than it is. like 6 minutes to remove.

Quick Reply: Oil drain plug access??