Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

OEM jack damage my lower panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM jack damage my lower panel

I used the OEM jack for the first time today, and here was the result. I placed it along the jack points, assuming it should be safe. When I attempted to lower it, it hit the front piece rocker panel. It would have rip it out if I continue. Luckily I had some leftover 2x4 from a recent renovation.

Anyone else had this problem?

I'm posting from my phone. So the pictures are sideways.
Attached Images     
Old 04-29-2016, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Used it before, no problems.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! First of all, I'm no fan of oem jacks. They are not confidence inspiring.

But in your pics, it looks like the lifting foot is planted very deep under the car. Are you sure you placed it correctly?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Wow! First of all, I'm no fan of oem jacks. They are not confidence inspiring.

But in your pics, it looks like the lifting foot is planted very deep under the car. Are you sure you placed it correctly?

I used one of my hands to make sure the base of the jack was flat and level, and jacked it up until it settle in to the jack point. It would have missed the jack point if it was too far in or out.

It just appears that the jack didn't want to lower down at the correct pace to avoid touching the panel.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vutekho
I used one of my hands to make sure the base of the jack was flat and level, and jacked it up until it settle in to the jack point. It would have missed the jack point if it was too far in or out.

It just appears that the jack didn't want to lower down at the correct pace to avoid touching the panel.
Yup! Exact thing happened to me.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:25 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Base of the jack needs to be further under the car - the base of the jack swivels so placing it further under the car will initially look wrong but as weight goes on the base will flatten - more importantly the screw won't contact the body or door panel!
Old 04-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rez
Base of the jack needs to be further under the car - the base of the jack swivels so placing it further under the car will initially look wrong but as weight goes on the base will flatten - more importantly the screw won't contact the body or door panel!
Agree, there's no way that jack is placed correctly.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep - happened to me.

It can be placed correctly at the jack points and get this.

The key, I learned, is to adjust the foot angle so the worm screw isn't even close. It gets closer to the body as the jack goes up.

It's a poor design - either the jack or the jack points (or the combo of the two
Old 04-29-2016, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

As I raised the jack, I moved it around to aligned the slot of the top of the jack with the jack point, while keeping it flat at the base. The jack was flat and aligned with the jack point. If I moved it any further below the car, the top will not engage the slot of the jack. The jack was perpendicular to the car.

I don't know what else to say. I think it is a poor design, like mentioned above. It could be that I have a faulty jack.

Unfortunately, there is no trial and error with this jack. I guess this jack needs pinpoint precision to work properly.

Last edited by vutekho; 04-29-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:54 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vutekho
As I raised the jack, I moved it around to aligned the slot of the top of the jack with the jack point, while keeping it flat at the base. The jack was flat and aligned with the jack point. If I moved it any further below the car, the top will not engage the slot of the jack. The jack was perpendicular to the car.

I don't know what else to say. I think it is a poor design, like mentioned above. It could be that I have a faulty jack.

Unfortunately, there is no trial and error with this jack. I guess this jack needs pinpoint precision to work properly.
Well, all I can say is that I also got screw rash on the lower body panels until I moved the jack base further under the car - since then I've never had an issue.

Quick Reply: OEM jack damage my lower panel