Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Odd Throttle Failure ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

1. The altitude is about ten feet above sea level.
2. There's a big difference between "no engine" and "no boost". At any altitude.

Good thought, but here on the horse ranch, the sound of hoofbeats doesn't send us looking for zebras.

OTOH, inspired at the thought of traction control not being unique to Audi, one fast google at "traction control cuts power" immediately found a page with at least three similar incidents on GMC Yukons at:

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2004/...m/problem.aspx

[later]
WOW. Tip of an iceberg. I went to NHTSA.GOV and searched for "traction control" without any specific model data. I figured if this is rare, I'd start with 2000-2014 as the range. Nope, that generated some 3000 hits and the site can only serve up some 250 at any one time. I had to cut the search down to 2012-2014, just two years, to get inside the limit.

And what a limit it is. GMC, Ford, Mazda (partners)...a lot of reports that on proceeding from a dead stop, i.e. when a traffic light went green, the traction control system cut all power and nearly caused accidents. And that was just the start of the listings.

Apparently this is not just Audi, this is a significant issue.

Last edited by Redd; 03-08-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redd
1. The altitude is about ten feet above sea level.
2. There's a big difference between "no engine" and "no boost". At any altitude.

Good thought, but here on the horse ranch, the sound of hoofbeats doesn't send us looking for zebras.

SNIP
Good to know. Now that possibility had been ruled out. There are sometimes some very uninformed questions or comments on boards such as these and all possibilities should be explored.

Not everyone knows the difference between a horse and a zebra...

Old 03-12-2014, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2.0 and I am 600 ft above sea level.

It is not in situations where I should be losing traction and only happens when turning left.
Originally Posted by dsackman
If you have the 2.0T motor and you are at altitude you may have a similar response. The exhaust driven turbo requires some spooling up before the motor delivers expected power.

Without the turbo you are basically sitting with a 2.0l motor that delivers very little power at altitude. That spooling up period feels very long if you are trying to accelerate across oncoming traffic.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

Same issue on my wife's 2012 Q5 2.0T. First time, I had a trailer with a light load on the factory hitch and when leaving the hardware store, tried to slowly pull left out of a spot and the engine completely died. I started it again and since the days of carb engines are gone I didn't give it gas. It rumbled and shook quite violently for a few seconds until what I can only presume the ECU resetting itself and away we went. No new issues until I was turning left the other day and only lightly tapped on the pedal. Felt hesitation in the engine. Didn't die, nor was it violent, but it was just the family and I in the car.

Haven't experienced it at all turning right. I feel like these cars were built for the movie Zoolander, for those that have seen it. Ben Stiller says something along the lines that male models can't turn left ....or something to that effect.

Anyway, next time I'm at the dealer, I'm going to have them check for codes and repair what seems to be a broken rear wiper fluid mechanism. I'll report back what they find but it may be spring until it needs an oil change/dealer visit.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Redd -
1. Any resolution?
2. Curious... Do you remember if the steering wheel was turned or straight from the dead stop? Partially turned? All the way at the lock? Maybe I'll experiment in the morning.
:-)
Old 12-29-2014, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Let me relay a story, but it is about my 2004 VW Toureg I owned, and later got rid of, because of this exact issue.

You are just sitting at a left turn signal in the intersection, and you operate the throttle real gently. Just feathering and then let off a little, then press down to go and......NOTHING!

The drive by wire throttle ceases to function, you can just sit there pumping the throttle on/off quickly, praying not to get nailed in the side of the car/head on by traffic.

You let off the throttle entirely, at the stop, for about 1 second, then it comes to life and the throttle starts to work again.

Audi/VW has had this issue with Touregs for 10yrs, especially the early models. I took it to the dealer, showed and replicated it to the techs...they opened a case with VW...VW blew me off and said nothing was wrong with the car, no codes etc...

So I figured my life/kids/wife are much more valuable than some sh*tty car and company who can't support and troubleshoot an issue, $55K I paid for that thing 10yrs ago.

Yeah....does that sound like what happens????
Old 12-29-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Has not recurred, and IIRC the steering wheel was substantially over but not fully locked, I was making a tight U-turn from a U-turn lane.

I would call it pedal confusion or pilot error, except I've never (NEVER) had that problem in any other vehicle.