Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Obsolete Nav maps taken a small step farther...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TIME89
When drivers start having issue with BMW HPFP and start send their compliance to BMW, BBB, States Consumer Affair, BMW replace supplier of faulty fuel pump.
My point, if you only complain here on this web site - don't expect Audi rush to fixed issue. You have to contact them direct, better in writing, copy to BBB. The more user complain - the more reaction you will see from AoA. Until then - you can write here as much as you like - we can only offer you our support.
and Audi need to know, that they on the age to by sued by angry customers.
The BBB is a joke. They have zero power to make any business do something to rectify an issue. Ratings are purchased as well.

Canned response and Audi promising something is two different things. Dealerships in the states sell Audis but they aren't owned by Audi. It's almost akin to having someone at best buy (authorized seller of Apple products) promise you something and then you demand Apple to live up to what they said. Dealers have lost their supply by going out of bounds with a car manufacturer.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really haven't had too many issues with the nav yet. However, I drive past where the old Cowboy stadium was in Irving, TX at least 3 days a week and noticed this week, the image of the stadium is still showing up. Made me laugh since it was blown up over a year ago
I do appreciate the 3d images of downtown Ft. Worth and Dallas! Very neat

Now Audi...please adjust with the times and update!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Happy owner of a new 2012 A4. Picked it up last week - it complements our 2011 Q5 nicely One thing I did notice is a newer nav version.

Q5: 8R0060884P NAR 5.4.7
A4: 8R0060884AD NAR 5.5.5

I have an inquiry out to the service department, but no word yet. It does seem that there have been incremental updates after the Q5.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have been following all the nav threads with great interest while I had the distinct impression that my maps were actually recent. For example, there is a completely new/redone exit off the Interstae that was opened less than a year ago, and the nav shows it correctly, and also suggests that exit whe traffic is heavy around that area. Needless to say, I consider my nac to be actually quite good and the UI to be very polished with the 3d buildings.

When I saw this update I went and checked my version and mine is also 5.5.5. This is one of the early 2012 models. I took delivery at the end of July, and I believe the production week was jun 20 (or sometime around that)
Old 09-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2012 Q5 with nav update

My Q5 (took delivery in mid-August) also has the version 8R0060884AD NAR 5.5.5
Old 09-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by eodok
I have been following all the nav threads with great interest while I had the distinct impression that my maps were actually recent. For example, there is a completely new/redone exit off the Interstae that was opened less than a year ago, and the nav shows it correctly, and also suggests that exit whe traffic is heavy around that area. Needless to say, I consider my nac to be actually quite good and the UI to be very polished with the 3d buildings.

When I saw this update I went and checked my version and mine is also 5.5.5. This is one of the early 2012 models. I took delivery at the end of July, and I believe the production week was jun 20 (or sometime around that)
Eodok, this is quite a welcome update. Most people had different degrees of dissatisfaction with the previous version of Audi Nav. Most people seem to buy Nav package because of backup camera.

My 2 year old Garmin is awesome. However, my built-in Nav in Mercedes E-500 (7 years old now) has the clunkiest Nav. The first gen Garmin (bought in 2000) was far better than the MB one. My single biggest beef with MB Nav is that it doesn't allow you to pick a particular house address. Essentially it will bring you with in 100 yards but not any closer!

I'm curious to hear your comparison with whatever Nav you have used previously. What do you like or don't like in the version you have.

Cheers!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I used to have a Tomtom handheld before the q5, and I had it custom fitted to the MDX that the Q5 replaced. It was good but I like my gadgets fully integrated and act like "appliances". They need to get out of the way and just work. I also use Navigon quite frequently on my iPhone, which I think is the best nav app on that platform. However, not having to remember to carry a device and that it's completely integrated to my car (from the voice recognition to dampening the stereo to not having to wait for a fix) are the key features for me.

I'm actually quite pleased with the nav in the Q5. The graphics are really polished, controls are extremely responsive, the built-in compass works even inside buildings (think of exiting a parking garage and not knowing which way to turn while your garmin is waiting for a fix). Sure, the POIs are outdated and incomplete, but they are a novelty anyway. Now that I know I have recent maps, I have nothing to complain about.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by eodok

This is confirmation then that 5.5.5 is, at worst, a few months old. This is great news! Now if Audi would just start rolling this out to older cars. Haven't heard from the service department, though as recently as 2 weeks ago, when I was following up my A4 order, the word was no Q5 map update.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2010 Q5 has 5.3.4

I'm going to inquire with my dealer about 5.5.5.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, maybe a stupid question...but if the 2010 Q5's have 5.3.4, and the 2011's have 5.4.7, why has everyone been saying our maps are 5+ years old, and neither Audi or Navteq has any info about map updates over that time? Guess I'm not fully convinced that the newer versioning always equates to newer maps (although Eodok's report of a new exit being in the v5.5.5 Nav is very encouraging indeed).

Quick Reply: Obsolete Nav maps taken a small step farther...