Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

No more tow hitch available for 2014 SQ5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I have U-haul or some other hitch place put the hitch on instead of the dealer is there any hidden cost or problems? Any of you know for sure?
U-haul does them all day long and truck places do also I would think.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnbikerva1
If I have U-haul or some other hitch place put the hitch on instead of the dealer is there any hidden cost or problems? Any of you know for sure?
U-haul does them all day long and truck places do also I would think.
I wouldn't trust U-haul installers with working on a Q5. An independent Audi shop would be a better bet.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My Audi hitch is being installed today on my 2014 SQ5. Took the hitch a couple of weeks to get to the dealer (they said it was ordered from Germany). I requested they NOT cut the back panel for the electrical hookup, but just for the hitch itself. I didn't want a big hold to the left of the hitch as I may never actually tow anything that needs lights. The main reason for the hitch is for my bike rack. $1300 installed, then minus 10% via an accessory coupon I got in the mail a couple of days ago. :-)
Old 12-07-2013, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
My Audi hitch is being installed today on my 2014 SQ5. Took the hitch a couple of weeks to get to the dealer (they said it was ordered from Germany). I requested they NOT cut the back panel for the electrical hookup, but just for the hitch itself. I didn't want a big hold to the left of the hitch as I may never actually tow anything that needs lights. The main reason for the hitch is for my bike rack. $1300 installed, then minus 10% via an accessory coupon I got in the mail a couple of days ago. :-)
Can you please post pictures of your hitch and the hole in the plate. I'm in the same boat as you are; the hitch is for my bike rack only (for now).
Old 12-07-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
I requested they NOT cut the back panel for the electrical hookup, but just for the hitch itself. I didn't want a big hold to the left of the hitch as I may never actually tow anything that needs lights
If you don't have a cut-out that accommodates the electrical connector, you have to do one of the following:

1) unscrew and remove the spring-loaded connector lid and put a cap to protect the connector behind it from the elements.

2) use a dremel to remove the tab protruding from the lid in order to leave the lid intact without it getting in the way of the partially cut panel. (This is what I did)

I recommend the latter.

Like what Mark P did on his thread, I cut the panel myself to guarantee a cleaner and closer job. I'll post pics soon for those interested.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckeye96
I asked my dealer, Tyson's Audi and they quoted me a price of $2100. Anyone in the area get a better price?
$2100?!?!?!? That's crazy. That's the price of a nice used truck with a hitch. I passed on getting the hitch on my SQ5. I have a 3/4 ton GMC truck that tows anything I got. Audi is crazy asking so much for a hitch when other manufactures ask $200-$500 installed on their vehicles. I think Audi see hitches as a small market (apparently not) and just trying to recoup the design cost.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
$2100?!?!?!? That's crazy. That's the price of a nice used truck with a hitch. I passed on getting the hitch on my SQ5. I have a 3/4 ton GMC truck that tows anything I got. Audi is crazy asking so much for a hitch when other manufactures ask $200-$500 installed on their vehicles. I think Audi see hitches as a small market (apparently not) and just trying to recoup the design cost.
The list price in parts alone for the oem hitch is around $750 versus around $900 for the option if you spec it in your build to begin with (best option), so $2100 does sound a bit outrageous, and quite a mark-up by the dealer because it's definitely not $1350 worth of labor to install. I certainly wouldn't give anymore business to a dealer that charges that much. Anything under $1500 is reasonable installed. Of course you can go even cheaper with an aftermarket hitch but probably won't have the optimal tow capacity that the oem part would.

I ordered my SQ5 with a hitch, but without notice, it arrived at the dealer without one due to a temporary parts shortage, and the option price was removed from my monroni sticker. Audi agreed to eat the cost of install and approved my dealer to install an oem hitch on my SQ5 for cost of parts alone which turned out to be cheaper than the option cost, and made up for the oversight somewhat.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Myles123
Can you please post pictures of your hitch and the hole in the plate. I'm in the same boat as you are; the hitch is for my bike rack only (for now).
Even though I brought pictures along with me showing my dealer how I wanted the back cover hole cut, the installer was on a role and just cut the back panel how they normally do. No biggie, as my service rep has already ordered a new back panel and they will re-cut it how I wanted it when it comes in. So, in the end I'll have two covers - one that allows access to the electrical hook up and one that doesn't.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:27 PM
jga
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all. FWIW, I ordered the SQ5 a couple of weeks ago with a port installed hitch. There was a hick-up initially because the order guide said "sold orders only." But the dealer made a call to Audi NA and straightened it out. Apparently "sold orders only" means orders placed for a specific customer, as opposed to orders placed for dealer stock.

I've been a lurker here for a couple of months and got all my questions answered without having to ask one, so thanks to all of you for your excellent contributions, and thanks especially to the member that posted about the audi club lifetime membership/immediate 6 percent discount; that's the route I went.

Jim
Old 12-09-2013, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jga
Hi all. FWIW, I ordered the SQ5 a couple of weeks ago with a port installed hitch. There was a hick-up initially because the order guide said "sold orders only." But the dealer made a call to Audi NA and straightened it out. Apparently "sold orders only" means orders placed for a specific customer, as opposed to orders placed for dealer stock.
The hitch situation is kind of a mess... Audi should really install these at the factory. At the port, it's a crapshoot. Sometimes they have it in stock and install it, sometimes your car gets delayed for parts and they eventually ship it to you without the hitch, and sometimes they just ship it to you without the hitch with no delay.

Also, it's crazy that they have to take apart so much stuff to install the hitch and the wiring. What are the chances that they'll get everything right and not damage or scratch something, break a clip, cause rattles, etc.? Audi isn't doing this right - the factory should be putting it in when building the car, and not the port after the car is built.

Quick Reply: No more tow hitch available for 2014 SQ5?