Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New Q5

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by J-o-s-e
I wish I could. The dealer did not give me the "tool" that should have been included with the crossbars to install it. It was a bear to install without it. So, removing them (now that I got them on) is not practical for me. Does anyone know where I can buy that "tool" by itself?

...Jose
The tool should be in back storgae compartment. Open the door on the floor where the jack is located and it should be there.

Please take a picture with the fairing installed. Did you go with thule?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Besides the much higher noise level associated with the installed cross-bars(fairing or not) the Q5s traction control system will respond differently(quicker to intervene)as it assumes 150 lbs. of added weight on top. I hardly think that this would cause any noticeable difference in handling dynamics on day to day driving...but the wind noise alone is more than enough reason for me.
Traction control responses to slippage in traction and adjusts according to sensors that measure differences in rotational speed. The TC will adjust accordingly.

If anything at all they bars will increase wind noise and decrease MPG slightly.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL
Traction control responses to slippage in traction and adjusts according to sensors that measure differences in rotational speed. The TC will adjust accordingly.

If anything at all they bars will increase wind noise and decrease MPG slightly.

I think it is the stability control system that is designed to respond differently if there is a load on the roof. It sets different thresholds for the higher center of gravity. I'm not sure if it senses weight or just the placement of the racks.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:05 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

The OP (to which you replied) implied that somehow the bars affect the traction control system -- and you (sort of) reinforced that.

How? Or am I misinterpreting things?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by HPH
The OP (to which you replied) implied that somehow the bars affect the traction control system -- and you (sort of) reinforced that.

How? Or am I misinterpreting things?
Actually I wasn't replying to the OP.
I was responding to HaveBullDogWillTravel's post.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fairing Pictures

Per requests, here is the picture of the fairing on the roof bars. It is an Inio, Thule wouldn't fit on a 2012 (the bars are sort of an oval, not square nor round). I'm still trying to find that installation/removal tool in the tool area, hopefully it is just hiding!

...Jose
Attached Images    
Old 09-30-2011, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oops...stability control...TY for helping to sort me out
Old 09-30-2011, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4Rook
I think it is the stability control system that is designed to respond differently if there is a load on the roof. It sets different thresholds for the higher center of gravity. I'm not sure if it senses weight or just the placement of the racks.
AFAIK, it's senses the bars and I think the stability control works in conjunction with the traction control and ABS to help keep the car from flipping. Sorry for muddying the water
Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
AFAIK, it's senses the bars and I think the stability control works in conjunction with the traction control and ABS to help keep the car from flipping. Sorry for muddying the water
That's about what was described to us during the Q5 intro event. The reps basically said that the reason that Audi was including a set of crossbars with every Q5 was that the car is able to sense these bars and alter the dynamic stability control on the assumption that there MIGHT be a couple hundred pounds of extra cargo on the roof, raising the center of gravity.