Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Need some advice - a bit confused

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice - a bit confused

Hey everyone,

I am in need of some advice, as I am a bit confused right now on what to do. I have been a member of this site for a long time now, and I get a lot of great information from here, thus the reason why I am asking for some advice. Here is some history, and what I am confused about. Sorry if its a bit long.

I have been an Audi owner for the past several years. I am on my second A4 right now - a 2008 A4, s-line, quattro, pretty much loaded. Love this car, and my previous A4, but the lease is coming up soon. So I am in debates on which new Audi to get - I am in debating between a 2012 A4 prem, with s-line, or a 2012 Q5, prem plus, with s-line and Nav. Yes I know they are very different, but here is why I am thinking this way.

Throughout all of my cars (and I have had a lot), I have been between cars, and trucks/suv's, sometimes both at the same time. I love the sportiness of the A4, the handling, but I also love the room, and smooth drive of a truck. My last truck/suv was a 2008 Escalade, which I just got rid of a few months ago.

I have already had two A4's, so I though why not stay with Audi, but get something different - the Q5? I have test driven both the Q5, and new A4, and love them both. So I am a bit confused on which to get.

On the A4 pro's side, I get am amazing car, that looks great, is very sporty, great interior etc etc. On the con's side, I don't get Nav, side assist, and keyless go (which I do on the Q5).

On the Q5 pro's side, well I get the things missing from the A4, plus I get a sweet suv. On the con's side, I need to get new winter tires/rims package (more money & I already have for the A4), and I have read some mixed reviews on this suv.

In terms of pricing, the difference between the two is $50/month, with the A4 being the cheaper one. If I added the things I want to the A4 then the price jumps up by $150/month, which I cannot justify.

I am getting the dealer to throw in free tint, free winter mats, as well as the Audi Care. They are already giving me a significant discount on either car I choose. So now I just need to decide...lol. But which one?

Have any of you debated the A4 or Q5? Any thought would be fantastic!

Sorry for this being long, and thanks for any advice in advanced.

Cheers!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck on your decision as only YOU know what you want in a car

The Q is for the wife's commute to work and back and she likes the slightly elevated view from the Q's driver seat in the DFW traffic rather than the under the bumper view her last sporty car had...

the performance of the 2.0T turbo is brisk and acceptable as is...
a tune after a few more miles will make it 'brisker' as well

While it handles well for what it is, the higher center of gravity will require a bit more moderation in the corners, but still is better than many cars out there... i believe a rear sway bar upgrade would help significantly.

If you've been following the Nav discussions, you already know the maps are at least 3 years old and no indication of them ever being updated.... (but that MAY be across multiple Audi models, not just the Q)

It certainly won't give u the room and ride of your Escalade nor my Excursion, but it's a nice compromise when we don't want to take the large car...

re tires and rims - the wife immediately had to have new 20" wheels and tires to 'make her's different' not sure, maybe your spare wheels may work?
worth investigating...

And we both love the Q's style and uniqueness !

good luck !
Old 08-26-2011, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo

The Q is for the wife's commute to work and back and she likes the slightly elevated view from the Q's driver seat in the DFW traffic rather than the under the bumper view her last sporty car had...

While it handles well for what it is, the higher center of gravity will require a bit more moderation in the corners, but still is better than many cars out there... i believe a rear sway bar upgrade would help significantly.

If you've been following the Nav discussions, you already know the maps are at least 3 years old and no indication of them ever being updated.... (but that MAY be across multiple Audi models, not just the Q)

It certainly won't give u the room and ride of your Escalade nor my Excursion, but it's a nice compromise when we don't want to take the large car...

re tires and rims - the wife immediately had to have new 20" wheels and tires to 'make her's different' not sure, maybe your spare wheels may work?
worth investigating...

good luck !
Pretty much have the identical inputs as you - The Q5 is my wifes car for the reasons you stated. If he is buying the car for himself and likes SUV/truck it is worth buying the Q5 as he seems to turn cars over rather quickly so trying a Q5 seems about right. We keep our cars 10+ years so we tend to make our decisions based on what we need for that time period.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the advice so far. The problem with me is I am always switching cars. I have been through 5 cars in the last 4 years. Two trucks, and the rest cars.

Will I miss the sport feeling if I go to the Q? That I guess I wont be able to answer until I am in one. I am going to try to set up a 24hr test with a Q at my dealership tomorrow. This was I can get a better understanding to if it will fit into me and my lifestyle.

Anyhow I will keep you all updated. Thanks so far.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=iProductions;24188805

Have any of you debated the A4 or Q5? Any thought would be fantastic!
![/QUOTE]

No one would debate a 4 door car with a small SUV. One would only debate this if they were flipping through cars and cornered into an odd decision. If you're in a comfortable position, purchase a car and an SUV as they serve their purposes. I own an a4 and a q5 because they fill the need on both. Rephrase your question appropriately, "I like SUVs and cars and understand the demand for both, help me bridge the gap for one vehicle that might fit the bill."
Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My decision was between the q5 and a4 avant. If I had fit into the a4 better I would have had to give it serious consideration. I love my q5 though.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I chose the Q5 because I already have a "sporty" car and needed a winter duty car. I didn't plan on using it as my daily driver, but that is what it has become. Much more responsive than my '07 Camry XLE, which the GF began driving when her car crapped out on her.
No regrets buying the Q, but as others have said, it will not provide the ride of an Escalade, nor do I imagine, will it give you the sportiness of the A4 (but I have never driven one so that is pure conjecture).
Old 08-27-2011, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo

worth investigating...

good luck !

JBT:

Have you, or do you know others, who have done a rear away bar upgrade? Was it done at Audi or elsewhere, and what is the price range?

Thanks,

Springsteen
Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by iProductions
... I need to get new winter tires/rims package (more money & I already have for the A4)
Without knowing the details of what you've got, it's not possible to be certain -- but it looks as if you could use the A4's winter wheels on a Q5 (you could use the tires, too, but they'd be way short). HPH
Old 08-28-2011, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by springsteen
JBT:

Have you, or do you know others, who have done a rear away bar upgrade? Was it done at Audi or elsewhere, and what is the price range?

Thanks,

Springsteen
The Q has the same symptoms my other cars/trucks have exhibited, i.e. inside rear corner seems to lift up on anything other than sedate cornering.
Have added a sway bar on others - even my large ford excursion and been pleased with the results..

I haven't even crawled under the Q to see if it has a rear bar, but assume it doesn't since it lifts like it does and see it sold by Stasis and others....
http://www.stasisengineering.com/pro...g-rear-swaybar

it's on my todo list, but not high on it since it's the wife's daily driver

Quick Reply: Need some advice - a bit confused