Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Nav map update registration

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sirius Traffic? Sounds like a bunch of hogwash to me. The maps are stored in the hard drive. Only way to update them is through a disc.

Audi needs to commission Navteq to throw out another update. Thats all there is to it.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by moncsicsi
. So I'm wondering. Do the people who find the maps outdated have Sirius Traffic subscription? Could that really be the solution to the Nav problems?
That's just not the way this works. It makes you wonder where some of these salespeople are getting this info. Got to be from a disc/SD card/USB connection to a PC, etc... Just not over the radio band...
Old 02-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by moncsicsi
Do the people who find the maps outdated have Sirius Traffic subscription? Could that really be the solution to the Nav problems?
Traffic updates comes through but map cant come as data is large - wont gets downloaded/saved over radio in these versions.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK - My BBB complaint got Audi's ear, they responded and told the BBB that I was taken care of about a month ago....

Hmmm, nobody told me and I've talked to the dealership twice...

(Reason I'm revisiting this is that I just got my 2nd Garmin update from navteq for the year !!!)

And around the north Texas area, new streets are going in every day with the 1000 + people a day moving into the area.... so 4 year old maps are archaic
Old 02-18-2012, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
OK - My BBB complaint got Audi's ear, they responded and told the BBB that I was taken care of about a month ago....

Hmmm, nobody told me and I've talked to the dealership twice...

(Reason I'm revisiting this is that I just got my 2nd Garmin update from navteq for the year !!!)
So they lie...no big surprise there. Tell them what they want to hear and they will go away.

I can no longer wait for Audi to eventually get around to maybe making map updates available sometime in the not too distant future...or as it would appear, maybe not.

Over a month ago, I was told by a rep from AoA that info and some sort of correspondence would soon be mailed to me. I've seen NOTHING. Even if Audi made an update available I wouldn't be willing to pay $400+ for a license and installation. Needless to say, I'm pissed.

I ordered a new Garmin yesterday and will be passing my dinosour of a NAV unit onto some other poor sap when I dump the Q. Extremely disappointing that I have to hang a friggin Garmin on my windshield after forking out $3000.00 so I wouldn't have to.

Last edited by HaveBullDogWillTravel; 02-18-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And the irritating thing is, we know there is more recent map data available - our A4 has a later map version than our Q5. Yet it doesn't seem like Audi's willing to spend some time to port that version over to the Q5.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:44 AM
12 year Audi owner

I tried using the Navteq website to register my vehicles and neither one was listed (2012 Q5 and 2012 S4). I could understand this if it was the beginning of the model year but this far in you would expect better.

Beyond that, I've been rather disappointed with the nav system in the Audi. My 2-1/2 year old, $150 Garmin seemed to do a better job navigating most of the time and it even had free lifetime traffic. For me the gold standard is Google Maps and I still often end up doing a route map at home with that and then at times ignoring the onboard system if it sends me another way.

Someday in the future I hope we have nav systems which can get updates over the air using WiFi (when at home) or cellular data since some vehicles have built in data connections and WiFi access points.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by StuffOfInterest
Someday in the future I hope we have nav systems which can get updates over the air using WiFi (when at home) or cellular data since some vehicles have built in data connections and WiFi access points.
Thats what Audi plans on replacing our current nav systems with in the future, and its called Google Maps which I believe has already been added to the new A6?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrownSeven
Thats what Audi plans on replacing our current nav systems with in the future, and its called Google Maps which I believe has already been added to the new A6?
It's currently in the A6, A7, and A8. I believe it is being added to the A4/S4, A5/S5 and the Q5 for the 2013 model years.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Sirius traffic is actually a discrete and relatively up to date signal, but only as good as reports they receive and then transmit. The one time it could have saved me from a lengthy traffic jam it was too late in updating, so yeah, somewhat hogwash.

Originally Posted by CrownSeven
Sirius Traffic? Sounds like a bunch of hogwash to me. The maps are stored in the hard drive. Only way to update them is through a disc.

Audi needs to commission Navteq to throw out another update. Thats all there is to it.

Quick Reply: Nav map update registration