Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
View Poll Results: 2017 SQ5 (Final Edition) vs 2018 SQ5 (Redesign)
2017 SQ5 (Final Edition)
60.00%
2018 SQ5 (Redesign)
40.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

MY2017 SQ5 (Final Edition) vs MY2018 SQ5 (Redesign)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
By the time the SQ5 goes into production in the new Mexican factory, the teething problems concerning production will already be ironed out. However, SQ5 having a different engine and tranny compared to the Q5 will most likely go through some issues related to early production models.

Personally, if it were me choosing between the '17 SQ5 and '19 SQ5, I would go for the '17 SQ5 in a heartbeat. My reasons would be the same as yours:
1. Still made in Germany
2. Proven tech. Most headaches solved.

I would like to add that the '17 SQ5 will have less tech but that does not bother me. I find that a lot of tech in a car distracts me from enjoying the drive.

I also like to mention that I find the current B8.5 interior to be uniquely Audi. The B9's dash and interior design reminds me of BMW. Audi, it seems to me, has taken styling cues from the BMW design book. An perfect example of manufacturing cost-cutting is when car manufacturers decide that a stuck-on tablet will do. Hey, Mercedes and BMW are doing it, why don't we do it as well. It does not retract but you get a bigger screen. SOLD! Not to me. I do not see and cannot find Audi in the current interior design of the B9 series. The allure is gone.

Good luck with your decision making!
I owned a 2013 A6,
I would say BMW and Benz copy the dash design from Audi A6/A7/A8 in the beginning, just without the retracting.

It just makes sense to remove the retracting, it doesn't work 100% of the time, maybe 99%, also it will be blocked by something I want to attach to the air vent.

Although it looks really cool, like the B&O speaker retract.

I'm considering about the 2018 SQ5 too (macan gts is too expensive ^_^), I like the new MMI and virtual **** pit, it is much better than old version.

Those who said the current version is fine, you really sure you don't want the new tech?
Old 10-03-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Technology for me isn't that important. Even with nav the phone is still faster. The biggest selling point of the SQ5 is you can tune it right away and not have to wait, who keeps a SQ5 stock
Old 10-03-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I didn't want to wait any longer. My wife really preferred I get something bigger (like the Q7), except the Q7 was too expensive with unfavorable terms in Canada -- basically MSRP and 4% interest rates.

So ended up getting a 2017 Ford Explorer Sport (about 5 weeks ago). I'm quite happy with it and saved a ton of money and got a great deal on it. Never thought I'd buy a Ford, but it's big beast and still manages 0-60 in 6.0 seconds and has lots of nice tech inside. Worst part about the Explorer is the 6-speed transmission, but I've gotten used to it. The Audi has nicer build quality and aesthetics, but the new 2016-2017 Explorer is basically a rip off of the Land Rover, and I'm okay with that. I will miss the virtual cockpit. Audi nailed that.

Maybe in a few years my wife can inherit the Explorer and I'll get my SQ5, when her CRV packs it in. Didn't make sense to have two cars of the same size. Plus the new SQ5 is taking forever to come out and will likely need some time to iron out with the new Mexico factory combined with a fully redesigned car.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sszyma
Technology for me isn't that important. Even with nav the phone is still faster. The biggest selling point of the SQ5 is you can tune it right away and not have to wait, who keeps a SQ5 stock
Most people keep it stock so they can have a warranty.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by marnes
+1
Old 10-03-2016, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have owned the new Q7 for the last 10 months and have been looking to pick up a new Q5 as well. Because the Q7 was my first Audi this is all I had to go by. I can say that I will be waiting for the new design because every Q5 I sat in seemed so outdated and old-fashioned to me. I love the technology in the Q7 and cannot justify buying the older Q5 because of that. Consider this a case of emotion winning out...but once you experience the "new" designs it's impossible to go back.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Better to pay for a repair at a good indy rather than have it fixed for free by the dealer.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

+2
Originally Posted by sszyma
Better to pay for a repair at a good indy rather than have it fixed for free by the dealer.
No it's not.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by asmi84
+2

No it's not.
+3 on both counts
Old 10-05-2016, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just ordered a 2017 SQ5 to replace my 14 Q5 3.0. As much I like the new technology and virtual cockpit, I rarely would use it to its full potential. I have really enjoyed my 3.0, and my previous 3.2 and that's why I know I will enjoy the SQ5. Plus, being now built in Mexico I would want to wait a year or two to make sure all the bugs were taken care of. My vote is for the 2017 SQ5.... plus I got a really good deal on it. Waiting 3 months for it will suck though.

Quick Reply: MY2017 SQ5 (Final Edition) vs MY2018 SQ5 (Redesign)