Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

My Android Headunit installed in my 2014 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by segascott
Hey there - did you ever get this resolved? We're seriously considering this but love our side assist dearly. It's a pretty good looking install! Just having trouble deciding between the 10.25 screen and this one...
Don't know if you were still waiting for answer, but all my installation issues were resolved.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) How do you find the add-on mic performance vs the one installed in the audi? Too bad it can't use that existing mic setup
2) Is it using the music/streaming/etc. from your phone, or is everything on the display android unit itself? I use spotify REGULARLY in my car, and download music for offline. But I can't think of a reasonable way the android unit in the car would be able to do this (live in condo, can't even park in garage and use the wifi to download. Hotspotting to my phone would just use up my data)
3) Any problems/crashes with the display, or issues switching between android auto and the default MMI?
4) How is the screen compared to factory? Especially visibility in sunlight
5) Anything not working smoothly/you wish was better?
Old 06-30-2018, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
1) How do you find the add-on mic performance vs the one installed in the audi? Too bad it can't use that existing mic setup
2) Is it using the music/streaming/etc. from your phone, or is everything on the display android unit itself? I use spotify REGULARLY in my car, and download music for offline. But I can't think of a reasonable way the android unit in the car would be able to do this (live in condo, can't even park in garage and use the wifi to download. Hotspotting to my phone would just use up my data)
3) Any problems/crashes with the display, or issues switching between android auto and the default MMI?
In terms of Google search, the Android mic is fine. Just like Audi, if you have too much background noise, it is tough. If you connect your phone by Audi bluetooth, you are still using the Audi mic. Use Android mic for android searches, app and navigation commands.

Since this is like an android tablet, you can use a music app of your choice. If you like Spotify with the download music off-line mode, you can do that. Unit comes with 16gb SD card (pretty empty) and about 12 gb of free internal storage. The unit can pickup wifi that is nearby and strong. If you don't want to use your phone data or a separate 4g data sim, and don't have access to wifi in your garage, you are pretty stuck. I think you will need to play your spotify music off your phone. If you have MP3 music library, that can go on the SD card.

3) Any problems/crashes with the display,
Its happened two times so far.

or issues switching between android auto and the default MMI?
No issues.

Both suck in sunlight. Maybe Audi a little better. Night time, it is too bright and you need to lower brightness. I use an app that adjusts the brightness at sunrise and sunset.

Its working very good right now. I wish the SD card on the 8.8" version was not behind the besel. Requires removing screen head unit. 7" and 10.25" have SD access without removal.

The install and tinkering of this is not for a novice. Firmware updates require downloading and putting files on USB or SD and clunky copying, rebooting and flashing processes. Documentation on the RSNAV WIKI page has improved and the forums are supportive of unit. The person behind RSNAV is Daniel. As I understand he is Canadian and he desired to develop an Android solution for his own Audi. With the knowledge he accumulated dealing with Chinese suppliers he decided to build a solution for Audi owners. Besides the Chinese suppliers and programmers, there is a group of RSNAV users who have programming backgrounds that are working with RSNAV to improve functionality further. There is a very broad agenda of functionality that are being developed all at one time. Therefore it will be a work in progress for some time.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 06-30-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

This is the current main screen on my RSNAV Android using Car Launcher app.

Here is a link to a youtube video I made showing unit startup.

Note: If I would have put vehicle in reverse, the backup camera would have come up even during that warning screen or video. Likewise if I would have pressed the radio button or another MMI button that screen would have been shown.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 07-03-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Don't know if you were still waiting for answer, but all my installation issues were resolved.
Ah, you definitely answered it! Just waiting on a response from RSNav - I asked 'em about availability and he told me to wait for a bit (there was a slightly improved model with more RAM or something coming in). Now that I think about it, time to bug him again...

Thanks to you and Zthang I'm definitely going to get this android upgrade. But I think we're going to do the larger 10" widescreen, it does stick out a bit but seeing maps and music side by side on the big screen looks too cool :-)
Old 07-04-2018, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had the 10" screen for a few months now and can share my thoughts. I love the size and it looks stock. Nobody has questioned it being aftermarket. I can reach the screen easily and I feel it would have been better than the recessed one.

Almost everything works as it should. All the buttons on MMI, steering wheel controls, touch screen. I have a 2015 SQ5 with b&o.

There are some software glitches here and there. When I shut off the car and turn it back on and on radio, sometimes the MMI **** that controls volume wont allow me to move up and down to switch between radio stations. I have to switch to something else such as nav, then go back to radio and it works.

On a rare occasion I get a random reboot. Music still works fine, but the whole screen goes dark and it reboots. Kind of annoying.

I do not connect bluetooth to the unit itself and only keep the cars bluetooth active. It does not work well at all. I only tried it once when I first got it so I might try again, but I dont see a reason to change. To clarify I still use bluetooth in the car. It's connecting to the oem audi system and not the android headunit.

Overall still happy with the unit. Google maps is sweet and the main reason I bought it. I tether it to my phone. I just wish the random reboots would stop happening. It might happen once every 10 times I use my car. We have very hot weather but my car is garaged. The only time it heats up is if I go inside a store. I don't think it's a heat related issue. It could happen right when I leave my garage.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

So running any Android Nav.app works fine ? Example if you pull up Waze from your phone will it work and alert ?
Old 07-05-2018, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
So running any Android Nav.app works fine ? Example if you pull up Waze from your phone will it work and alert ?
???? I have an iphone. I can use my phone independently, and I have used a few different apps on the head unit and they all work.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
You can run Waze on the Android headunit directly as an app, or you can run Waze within Android Auto connection from an Android phone. If you have Waze on iPhone it will not display on the Android unit since Car Play does not support Google Maps or Waze yet, but I understand Apple announced future support.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Ok great thanks Dennis.I'm Android so that's good.Mysterious that Apple don't make running Google stuff easy eh !

Quick Reply: My Android Headunit installed in my 2014 Q5