Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MSN Auto - 10 Used Cars to Avoid - Q5 on this list!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TIME89
I remember your story and I'm pretty sure that what happen, but you will see few post now, that will state - " I have my car for 3 yrs and had 0 problems"
And remember - people usually go to website and start bushing about car, when they have problem.
We all have to admit - we love our cars - but Audi, VW, BMW, MBZ, Mini far away in reliability from japanese cars.
Unfortunately, they (Japanese cars) don't drive like German cars...
I have no doubt there are many who've had no problems with their Qs whatsoever. I was simply stating my experience with Audi. I've owned a lot of cars in my life, of varied brands, and the Audis have been the only cars plagued with problems. We still love the way they drive, when they're working, and we love the way they look, but one hits a point where they reevaluate their relationship with a brand. I hit the reevaluation point several weeks ago, when the second steering column (it was previously replaced at 700 miles for a different issue) in the Q5 began to fail, and every turn of the wheel made a grinding noise, and it would "slip", so the wheels on the road actually turning was very jerky, and did not instill safety or confidence in the vehicles ability.

As tomaszp72 said, maybe we've just been unlucky with Audi. I will say, I am jealous of those who post on this board that they've had no problems with their Audis, as that was the experience I was so hoping for when purchasing my last Q5. I don't hold any ill will towards Audi, I've just begun seriously rethinking purchasing another of their vehicles, and think it is helpful to let others know of my problems, so that along with all the good posts by others, one can see just how crazy bad things can go, not that they will go bad for everyone. I will say Audi is being very adult about everything this go around, and things are fixed promptly, well, as promptly as they can be when most every part has to be shipped over from Europe at a 10 day wait, but they've stepped up the loaner car quality, so I don't mind so much, right now I have a 2013 A8L as a loaner. It's mostly the inconvenience that gets to me, and the constantly wondering in the back of my head, what's going to go wrong next, and will if happen while I'm on a road trip.