Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MSN Auto - 10 Used Cars to Avoid - Q5 on this list!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MSN Auto - 10 Used Cars to Avoid - Q5 on this list!

Original link

Idiots, they didn't know that 330i was only in production from 2005 to 2006.
Audi Q5 and BMW 3 get on list.

Last edited by TIME89; 10-12-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it's coming from Consumer Reports data, which tells you how much it's worth right there.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wonder if its the q5 in general or if it's tied to a specific model (3.2 or 2.0). Hopefully the 2013 has all the kinks ironed out. My last car was a CPO '09 A4 with 27K miles. I had it for 7 months and dumped it since it was an unreliable car (broke down while driving, consumed a quart of oil ever 1.5k miles, steering hose, control arms, windshield leak to name a few). I traded the A4 for the Q5. Lost quite a bit on the trade so I'm hoping this one is reliable or I'll start looking other brands.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say leave it on the list, this being from my experience. My first Q5 had a transmission that was faulty, Audi fought me on replacing it. They kept tinkering with it to the point it was unsafe to drive, but they swore it was "operating within specifications." I sold that Q5, had an X5 briefly, and now have a 2012 Q5 with all the options, and a load of problems. It is in the shop, yet again, this time it's having a fourth faulty seat frame replaced, its second steering column, and a handful of other things replaced. I haven't even had the car a year yet, its under 8k miles on the odometer, and it's had two new steering columns, four seat frames, a new sunroof, several new trim pieces, and it, too, is rough shifting transmission from 2nd to 3rd gear, just like the first Q5 started to develop around 6k miles. I want to love Audi, but the amount of repairs both Q5s and our A4 have/do require really makes it difficult. My personal experience is that Audis are unreliable.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
I'd say leave it on the list, this being from my experience. My first Q5 had a transmission that was faulty, Audi fought me on replacing it. They kept tinkering with it to the point it was unsafe to drive, but they swore it was "operating within specifications." I sold that Q5, had an X5 briefly, and now have a 2012 Q5 with all the options, and a load of problems. It is in the shop, yet again, this time it's having a fourth faulty seat frame replaced, its second steering column, and a handful of other things replaced. I haven't even had the car a year yet, its under 8k miles on the odometer, and it's had two new steering columns, four seat frames, a new sunroof, several new trim pieces, and it, too, is rough shifting transmission from 2nd to 3rd gear, just like the first Q5 started to develop around 6k miles. I want to love Audi, but the amount of repairs both Q5s and our A4 have/do require really makes it difficult. My personal experience is that Audis are unreliable.
I remember your story and I'm pretty sure that what happen, but you will see few post now, that will state - " I have my car for 3 yrs and had 0 problems"
And remember - people usually go to website and start bushing about car, when they have problem.
We all have to admit - we love our cars - but Audi, VW, BMW, MBZ, Mini far away in reliability from japanese cars.
Unfortunately, they (Japanese cars) don't drive like German cars...
Old 10-12-2012, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
Man, you are really unlucky ... I know I shouldn't say that and probably tonight when I get into the car the wheels will fall off but so far it was the most trouble free 8k miles on any car I owned.
My new passat drove me crazy with all the rattlings. It was love-hate relationship from the very beginning. Cant complain about Audi so far .... Maybe I will start tonight
Old 10-12-2012, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
My new passat drove me crazy with all the rattlings. It was love-hate relationship from the very beginning.
Drove a 2002 Passat Wagon for 8 years, no real trouble whatsoever (did have some burst CV boots, though that's expected over that long), including the bad batch of coilpacks that they had a recall about and the Passat got totally trashed in the CR surveys for. I still miss it, but it wasn't big enough to hold all the crap that comes with babies (we've quite literally filled up the Odyssey behind the second row before ). The Odyssey's been pretty trouble-free, too, but it's still a dull Japanese car (still drives a lot better than my dad's Camry though -- that thing's a boat).

Looking forward to hopefully getting back to German in around a year with the TDIs finally coming out. Sure they may tend to need a little more maintenance, but it's so worth it (at least to me). Need to get in on the Q5 action before assembly moves to Puebla (hopefully things are better these days and the Audi factory will be new, but I'm still scarred from all the issues the Mk4s were having back in the day, when the Brazilian ones were bad and the Mexican ones were worse).
Old 10-12-2012, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
Drove a 2002 Passat Wagon for 8 years, no real trouble whatsoever (did have some burst CV boots, though that's expected over that long), including the bad batch of coilpacks that they had a recall about and the Passat got totally trashed in the CR surveys for. I still miss it, but it wasn't big enough to hold all the crap that comes with babies (we've quite literally filled up the Odyssey behind the second row before ). The Odyssey's been pretty trouble-free, too, but it's still a dull Japanese car (still drives a lot better than my dad's Camry though -- that thing's a boat).

Looking forward to hopefully getting back to German in around a year with the TDIs finally coming out. Sure they may tend to need a little more maintenance, but it's so worth it (at least to me). Need to get in on the Q5 action before assembly moves to Puebla (hopefully things are better these days and the Audi factory will be new, but I'm still scarred from all the issues the Mk4s were having back in the day, when the Brazilian ones were bad and the Mexican ones were worse).

Mine was 2003 V6 4 motion wagon. After I learned to live with rattlings I loved it and I still miss it. It was a great car. Sold it to a guy from passatworld so at least I know it is in good hands Basically a bigger Audi A4.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
Mine was 2003 V6 4 motion wagon. After I learned to live with rattlings I loved it and I still miss it. It was a great car. Sold it to a guy from passatworld so at least I know it is in good hands Basically a bigger Audi A4.
Cool, mine was a basic GLS 1.8T, Silverstone (awesome color for hiding the dirt). Definitely a nice "in between" size between the A4 and A6. A4 was a little tight in the back in those days... at least it's grown up a little now (and the Passat's huge now, from what I recall it's got a larger footprint than the Q5 ). The Q5 makes me think of what the B5.5 Passat Wagon might have turned into if it got taller and dressed up.

My only worry is that the mod bug will bite once I'm back.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow that's scary...

Not sure if I'm lucky or what, but in 18 months I owned my 2011 2.0T loaded and almost 23k miles on it, I had NO problem with mine at ALL.

I do have Care + though.

Quick Reply: MSN Auto - 10 Used Cars to Avoid - Q5 on this list!