Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MPG Update: 16th tanks of diesel - now avg 26.2 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MPG Update: 16th tanks of diesel - now avg 26.2 mpg

This tank was all around town and spirited driving thus only got 24.2 MPG, bringing down my avg to 26.2 overall. But my smiles are still up!

Added data labels for each car's avg:

Added a graph just of the Q5 TDI:

VAGCOM consumption accuracy setting of 109 looks pretty good. I'll keep it this way for 5 tanks and then consider whether I want to try 108:

Added data labels for median Miles Per Fill-Up also:

All Graphs here:
http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/996tt/mileage/
Old 01-14-2014, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

diesel your still getting 26???! I get about 25-33 depends how I drive my 2.0T
Old 01-14-2014, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
diesel your still getting 26???! I get about 25-33 depends how I drive my 2.0T
My daily commute is 8 miles with 0 highway, 4 stop signs and 7 stop lights.

Are your numbers hand calculated or from the trip computer readout?

I enjoy the 428 ft-lbs of torque and go full throttle multiple times daily.

At nearly 80mph on the highway long trips, I was getting 31+ mpg. 80mph is less than ideal for fuel economy based on aero drag, of course. These datapoints were taken about every 50 miles or so along my recent road trip. The "segment mpg" is back figured from the resulting average after driving so many miles since the prior avg at that many miles. Since the avg mpg doesn't even have 0.1 mpg increments, I wouldn't put too much weight on any one segment, but just consider the entire results overall:

When I drove about 50mph for about 50 miles on lower speed limit highways, I was seeing about 34+mpg (37.9mpg reported when my trip computer was about 10% optimistic):

With the best gauge of comparing me to myself, I am getting better MPG than I was in my A3 (FWD, 2.0T, 1200 lb lighter car), so it looks right in line, or a little better than expected:

A3 rated 22/25/29 - I got 24.0 avg
Q5 rated 24/27/31 - I'm at 26.2 avg

Bottom line, I'm quite happy with my results and feel they are right in line with the spread that others are seeing (ie my driving falls just below the "combined" EPA value), etc.

Now if I look at fuelly.com for the Q5 2.0T, I see an average of right around 22.0 MPG:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/audi/q5/gas%20l4
and about 28.0 MPG for the Q5 TDI:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/audi/q5/diesel%20v6

So it seems that neither you nor I are falling right around the averages, and you being above average and me being below average skews these results greatly when you're just comparing you to me - clearly we don't represent the TDI's higher MPG over the 2.0T that the masses are seeing.

Hope that helps answer your question
Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great information....

hi Mark:

Thanks for another detailed analysis.

A few observations

1) I'm still holding at about a 6.5% difference between my trip computer and my actually fuelly information. That % for me has been pretty constant since inception

2) my MPGs took a real hit the past few weeks of cold weather. Several factors: a much higher city portion, more heater use, and generally slower road conditions, including snow and bad plowing

3) Separately, on the "economy view" (I don't know what to call it, it's the trip computer not 1, not 2, but the one with the green fuel pump icon; showing the decrease due to heater, fan speed, etc), I noticed that constant running of the rear wiper really takes a big toll on fuel consumption, I was a little surprised by that.

Thanks again for the data. I like seeing how my nums stack up!

4)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Expert

#4? Don't leave me hanging!

On the economy screen, I hadn't looked back at it in a long time (since it was warm out) and was surprised to see the heated seats show up. Well not so much surprised, but just only had seen AC until then. Does rear wiper also show up in that list? I wonder if heated mirrors also show...
Old 01-14-2014, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default oops, there is no #4

my bad, there should not have been a #4. oops.

On the economy screen, I have seen:
- something about air conditioning, which amuses me because the heat is on
- heated seats / ventilated seats
- the rear wiper when in ON mode, which was a huge impact... it's also horribly noisy, much noisier than a few spritzes to clean off window
- I think, but I'm not sure that the heated/cooled cup holder too, but I'm not positive about that.

On a totally unrelated point, I also find important discrepancies between the mobile and desktop versions of GasBuddy, which I use to search for diesel prices nearby. Mobile is more accurate/current, but frequently excludes diesel pricing. Oh well....
Old 01-14-2014, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
My daily commute is 8 miles with 0 highway, 4 stop signs and 7 stop lights.

Are your numbers hand calculated or from the trip computer readout?

I enjoy the 428 ft-lbs of torque and go full throttle multiple times daily.

At nearly 80mph on the highway long trips, I was getting 31+ mpg. 80mph is less than ideal for fuel economy based on aero drag, of course. These datapoints were taken about every 50 miles or so along my recent road trip. The "segment mpg" is back figured from the resulting average after driving so many miles since the prior avg at that many miles. Since the avg mpg doesn't even have 0.1 mpg increments, I wouldn't put too much weight on any one segment, but just consider the entire results overall:

When I drove about 50mph for about 50 miles on lower speed limit highways, I was seeing about 34+mpg (37.9mpg reported when my trip computer was about 10% optimistic):

With the best gauge of comparing me to myself, I am getting better MPG than I was in my A3 (FWD, 2.0T, 1200 lb lighter car), so it looks right in line, or a little better than expected:

A3 rated 22/25/29 - I got 24.0 avg
Q5 rated 24/27/31 - I'm at 26.2 avg

Bottom line, I'm quite happy with my results and feel they are right in line with the spread that others are seeing (ie my driving falls just below the "combined" EPA value), etc.

Now if I look at fuelly.com for the Q5 2.0T, I see an average of right around 22.0 MPG:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/audi/q5/gas%20l4
and about 28.0 MPG for the Q5 TDI:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/audi/q5/diesel%20v6

So it seems that neither you nor I are falling right around the averages, and you being above average and me being below average skews these results greatly when you're just comparing you to me - clearly we don't represent the TDI's higher MPG over the 2.0T that the masses are seeing.

Hope that helps answer your question
I don't go by the readings in the car. usually what I do is fill the gas tank and calculate how many gallons were pumped and divided it with the miles driven. My computer reading would show 38+ if I don't have fun with the car. Without cars on the highway I can get good gas mileage. traveling 15miles each way. But in Boston its hard when we hit traffic hours. Its ridiculous. from a 20 min drive to 1 1/2 to get home.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mark, interesting data. I have been using the Fuelly App as well on my 2014 audi Q5 TDI. You can see it under 'PennAudi', and I have 7 fill ups. In central PA, we had that severe cold snap, and interestingly my fuel economy has gone way down. Here is the link. http://www.fuelly.com/driver/pennaudi/q5

Funny, in my current tank of diesel, I am back getting 27+ per the computer which will likely equate to 26 on Fuelly.

I have a 10-15 minute drive and I suspect that my efficiency issues are because the car isn't getting enough time to warm up during my short commute.

I park in an unheated garage.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I had a similar drop recently

hi Fred:

I experienced similar drop due to the coldsnap. I am just north of NYC. Here's my fuelly page:

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/914audi/q5

Notice the big drop in a recent fillup. I triple checked all of the data at the time, no input errors or anything. Go figure.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by 914Audi
my bad, there should not have been a #4. oops.

On the economy screen, I have seen:
- something about air conditioning, which amuses me because the heat is on
- heated seats / ventilated seats
- the rear wiper when in ON mode, which was a huge impact... it's also horribly noisy, much noisier than a few spritzes to clean off window
- I think, but I'm not sure that the heated/cooled cup holder too, but I'm not positive about that.

On a totally unrelated point, I also find important discrepancies between the mobile and desktop versions of GasBuddy, which I use to search for diesel prices nearby. Mobile is more accurate/current, but frequently excludes diesel pricing. Oh well....
I tried turning on my rear wiper last night and saw no impact at all in the gal/hr consumption meter. I tried with the AC on or off just to see if that made a difference, but saw no change when I turned on/off the rear wiper. Can you try again and confirm it wasn't due to some other factor? Indeed it sounds counter intuitive

Quick Reply: MPG Update: 16th tanks of diesel - now avg 26.2 mpg