Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Loving the 8 speed transmission software update

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loving the 8 speed transmission software update

I couple weeks ago I had my 25k service done on my Q5 2.0T premium. Service rep said there was a software update as well. I waited at the dealer for the work to be done. Afterwards, there was a very noticeable change in the transmission up and down shifting, in a good way! Ever since the update, I've been considering whether I was over-thinking the impact of the update, but i'm still amazed at the difference in the feel. I knew the feel of the acceleration and deceleration of the car to a T, and it feels very different now.

Let me run through what I felt changed...

-faster and smoother shifts (like butter smooth). I had to look to make sure I wasn't in sport mode they were so fast... I wasn't. It feels like a mini-sport mode all the time now. Power feel like it is being reapplied quicker after the shift.

-Acceleration feels more linear than before. Hard to explain really... just feels like more constant power through the gear.

-Seems to hold each gear just a little bit longer than before, but if you let off the application of gas a bit, it'll shift right away

-No more jerky downshifts from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st if you break slowly, and able to coast in a low gear without too much engine breaking stepping in like before.

Overall, I'm loving the changes. The jerky downshifts have been improving slightly over time since I got the car new, going from 'wtf is wrong with this freaking car' to 'i wish my car didn't shift like that just because i'm coasting at a low speed or breaking slowly'. Now it is just gone. About freaking time.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I don't know how long the update has been out or any details about it. I've had my Q serviced every 5k since I got it, so I would think it hasn't been out long.

Now I only have two more issues with the car that need addressing:
-give me the option to reverse the scroll direction of the multi-function MMI dial because scrolling down by turning the wheel counter-clockwise is just stupid (side note: many aspects of the car felt sorta quirky when I first got it, all them now make total sense to me except the wheel scroll)
-allow me to reduce the double click speed to unlock all doors... i swear my wife is about to disown me for leaving her locked out of the passenger side.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only TSB I know of for the transmission is the downshift one.

Didn't know there was one for the whole gamut of gear ratios.

Would you mind inquiring and finding out what the TSB number actually was that was performed?