Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Looking at Q5, 2.0 TFSI with mods or 3.0 TDI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at Q5, 2.0 TFSI with mods or 3.0 TDI?

Hello everyone. I'm looking into a Q5 else possibly a Jeep or BMW X3. For the Q5 I'm interested in how a 2.0 TFSI with basic mods (intake, exhaust, chip) would compare to a 3.0 TDI?

Also, I'm not too familiar with diesel engines and if they are less prone to issues such as carbon buildup, etc?

I'd be coming from a 2G Mitsubishi Eclipse GST so I'm a bit of a fan when it comes to turbos

Any advise?
Old 08-06-2015, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by truwarrior22
Hello everyone. I'm looking into a Q5 else possibly a Jeep or BMW X3. For the Q5 I'm interested in how a 2.0 TFSI with basic mods (intake, exhaust, chip) would compare to a 3.0 TDI?

Also, I'm not too familiar with diesel engines and if they are less prone to issues such as carbon buildup, etc?

I'd be coming from a 2G Mitsubishi Eclipse GST so I'm a bit of a fan when it comes to turbos

Any advise?
I want to answer your question as you asked it, but I can't come to any recommendation other than: get the gas 3.0T if performance is your thing. The 2.0T, modified or otherwise, will never be comparable in terms of mpg to the TDI, and unless you are prepared to do massive mods, it'll never be as quick/fast as a 3.0T with even a simple Stage 1 tune.

MPG wise, I can't say I've seen much of any difference between my 3.0T (~21-22 in my mixed daily commute, 24-27 on longer highway drives) and the 2.0T loaners I've had. The TDI will crush both in fuel economy.

Good luck
Old 08-06-2015, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
I want to answer your question as you asked it, but I can't come to any recommendation other than: get the gas 3.0T if performance is your thing. The 2.0T, modified or otherwise, will never be comparable in terms of mpg to the TDI, and unless you are prepared to do massive mods, it'll never be as quick/fast as a 3.0T with even a simple Stage 1 tune.

MPG wise, I can't say I've seen much of any difference between my 3.0T (~21-22 in my mixed daily commute, 24-27 on longer highway drives) and the 2.0T loaners I've had. The TDI will crush both in fuel economy.

Good luck
Wow I didn't look at the ECU upgrades for the 3.0. I can't believe how much more power can be made on the 2.0 and 3.0 with just a ECU mod. Did you chip yours?
Old 08-06-2015, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Depends on what your looking for. Having driven both for extensive periods of time, I much prefer the 3.0T over the 2.0T. More responsive, better performance with little sacrifice in fuel efficiency, and will be even better with mods.

When I get my Q5 it'll be the TDI engine, no question. I'll be using the car as a daily driver and very few cars are as much fun to drive in the first 3,000 RPMs as Audi's TDI clean diesel models. Besides, if you spend most of your time in those rev ranges, your fuel efficiency will be better, and most Q5 TDI owners I know average at least 30 MPG.

The TDI doesn't rev very high, so if you want to track your Q5 and spend frequent time in the upper rev ranges get a 3.0T and tune it.

From what I've heard from owners the TDI has been great reliability-wise, no issues with carbon buildup so far.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you like turbos than a TDI is perfect! modding a 2.0 to make it faster will decrease the already abysmal gas mileage. where as the tdi gives you the power and mileage!. the 3.0t is just fun fun fun!
Old 08-06-2015, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TDI All the way.

I traded in my 11 2.0T with a 14 TDI. I'm getting more fuel mileage AND power. I've always wanted a German diesel.

As matter of fact I was waiting for a TDI Q5.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for the TDI....
Old 08-10-2015, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TDI. In Sport Mode, it is surprisingly quick. Pulls like a runaway locomotive.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Just drove to the Outer Banks in my 15' Q5 TDI... 300 miles on less than 1/2 tank, never had any car that even came close!! Why screw around with gasoline when diesel is available? In Va, diesel and regular are the same price...sometimes have seen it lower. Power to spare. Drove the 2.0, 3.0, TDI did it for me... Diesel is about $2.60/gal.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
TDI. In Sport Mode, it is surprisingly quick. Pulls like a runaway locomotive.
+1

I never thought of the Q5 as anything more than just a reshaped version of my car...until I hopped in the TDI. The 2.0T is great and quite zippy in sport mode. The TDI, on the other hand, is a speed-demon wolf in sheep's clothing (especially in Sport Mode). It's tuned for performance, not efficiency. And yet it gets way better gas mileage than the 2.0T.

The only car I'd rather have over the Q5 TDI is the RS7 (and I've driven every new Audi save for the R8, TTRS, and S7).

Quick Reply: Looking at Q5, 2.0 TFSI with mods or 3.0 TDI?