Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Looking to buy a Q5 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ouch! When I bought mine they wouldn't sell me a warranty because the TDI scandal had just come out. I've seen a few 2014's with mileage around 30k in the low $30k price range on autotrader. I'd buy a lower mileage vehicle with a factory warranty over the extended warranty.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryT
Ouch! When I bought mine they wouldn't sell me a warranty because the TDI scandal had just come out. I've seen a few 2014's with mileage around 30k in the low $30k price range on autotrader. I'd buy a lower mileage vehicle with a factory warranty over the extended warranty.
Where are you located? I'm not seeing much here.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WV. I search 500 miles out. I've only seen one for sale in my area and the dealership has had it for almost 18 months because it's overpriced.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DJmart
Just got a quote from RBFCU for the warranty.

5 Years 50k $5848

4 Years 50k $5053

3 Years 50k $4067
Bumper-to-bumper, or powertrain?

Term/mileage from date of purchase, or?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Bumper-to-bumper, or powertrain?

Term/mileage from date of purchase, or?
5/4/3 years from date of purchase agreement, 50k on top of whats there now.

Code:
GOLD COVERAGE

Coverage on Listed Components:

ENGINE: Gas/Diesel – All internally lubricated parts within the engine plus the cylinder heads, engine block, engine mounts, flex plate, flywheel and ring gear, har-
monic balancer, intake and exhaust manifolds, oil dipstick and tube, oil pump, oil pump drive sprocket, timing chain/belt, and timing chain tensioner.

The oil pan and valve covers are only covered if damaged by an internally lubricated part.

TURBO/SUPERCHARGER: All internally lubricated parts. Housing is only covered if damaged by an internally lubricated part.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION: All internally lubricated parts, torque converter, transmission mounts, vacuum modulator, all gears, governor, oil pumps, clutch

plates, shafts, internal valves, rings, servo units, friction and steel drums, bearings and bushings, bands. Transmission case is covered if damage is due to the failure of

an internally lubricated part.

MANUAL TRANSMISSION: All internally lubricated parts, all gears, all bearings, main drive gear, internal shifting components, synchronizing drum, shafts and

spacers, main shaft, bushings. Transmission case is covered if damage is due to the failure of an internally lubricated part.

DRIVE AXLE ASSEMBLY (Front & Rear): All internally lubricated parts within the drive axle housing plus the center carrier bearings, constant velocity joints,

double offset joints, drive shaft/yokes, locking hub mechanisms, propeller shafts, and universal joints. The drive axle housing is only covered if damaged by an

internally lubricated part.

TRANSFER UNIT: All internally lubricated parts within the transfer case. Transfer case is only covered if damaged by an internally lubricated part.

BRAKES: ABS control module, ABS pump, ABS sensors, ABS accumulator, ABS motor, brake booster, calipers, hydraulic lines and fittings, master cylinder, rear

actuators, and wheel cylinders.

STEERING: Power steering pump, rack and pinion, and all internally lubricated parts within the rack and pinion assembly. The steering box is only covered if dam-
aged by an internally lubricated part.

ELECTRICAL: All electrical manual switches, alternator, analog gauges, convertible top motor, cruise control module, cruise control servo, electronic instrument

cluster, electronic level control compressor, electronic level control sensor, electronic off headlamp sensor, power antenna motor, keyless entry system, main wiring har-
ness, power door lock actuators, power mirror motor, power seat motor, power sunroof motor, power window motor, starter drive, starter motor, starter solenoid, voltage

regulator, washer motor, wiper circuit board, and wiper motor(s) (front and rear). Radio, compact disc player, and cassette player covered if manufacturer installed

but limited to repair only, cam sensor, crank sensor, ignition module, engine control unit (ECU), engine control module (ECM), ignition control unit (ICU), coil pack,

coil(s), pick-up coil, manifold air temperature sensor (MAT), camshaft position sensor, coolant temperature sensor, idle air control valve, idle speed control motor,

knock sensor, mass air flow sensor (MAF), manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP), oxygen sensor, Vehicle speed sensor, throttle position sensor.

AIR CONDITIONING & HEATING (Factory Authorized Only): Accumulator, compressor, compressor clutch, compressor pulley, condenser, evaporator,

expansion valve, high/low cut off switches, orifice tube, and receiver/dryer.

FRONT & REAR SUSPENSION: Ball joints, struts, shock absorbers, spindles, upper and lower control arms, and wheel bearings.

FUEL SYSTEM: Fuel injection pump, fuel Injectors, metal fuel lines, and primary fuel pump.

COOLING SYSTEM: Blower motor, cooling fan clutch, cooling fan blade, cooling fan motor, heater core, radiator, and water pump.

SEALS & GASKETS: On all listed components are covered. Including: Axle gasket(s), compressor seal(s), CV joint boot(s), cylinder head gasket(s), differential

gasket(s), exhaust manifold gasket(s), front crankshaft seal(s), hub or wheel bearing seals, intake manifold gasket(s), oil pan gasket, output shaft seal, rear main seal,

shifter seal, speedometer cable seal, steering pump shaft seal, timing cover gasket, transfer case seal(s), transmission pan gasket, valve cover gasket. (Seals and gasket

coverage available only on Vehicles with less than 125,000 miles at the time of Sale/Effective Date)
Old 08-22-2016, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DJmart
5/4/3 years from date of purchase agreement, 50k on top of whats there now...
Right - prices make sense now. It's an "inclusionary", rather than "exclusionary" warranty, meaning rather than listing what's NOT covered, they list only what's covered. Sounds like a big list, but modern cars are complex vehicles, and the list of what's not covered is MUCH larger than the list of what is...

Not saying it's not worth the $$$ - that's up to you to decide, Just make sure you realize what you're actually buying.

We were pricing out bumper-to-bumper exclusionary warranties, which are always much more expensive...
Old 08-22-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Yesterday during a long drive my wife and I were running through what we might replace it with should a buyback happen. We couldn't really come up with anything that does as many things as well for our needs....
Totally agree, If I switch to something else, I'll be giving up something
Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI
Totally agree, If I switch to something else, I'll be giving up something
This is the exact feeling about our 2013 Passat TDI.