Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Long-Term 2.0 Q5 Reliability Up to 100K?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long-Term 2.0 Q5 Reliability Up to 100K?

I have test driven the Q5 twice, and the second time really left a good impression on me, better than the first. I am looking to downsize from a full size SUV and move up in luxury. I would like to know if anyone has gone 100,000 miles plus without a major repair, which has been my litmus test for vehicle loyalty. I've narrowed my choices down to the Q5, Mercedes ML350 diesel, and Acura RDX (which I have yet to test drive). Each gets about the same gas mileage. The Mercedes offers more, but is significantly more expensive. I think the Q5 beats all of them in styling hands down. Unlike the RDX, the Q5 has slightly movable rear seats that you can recline somewhat. The Q5 has rear air vents, the RDX does not; however, the RDX is more reliable. None have ventilated seats, unlike the Lincoln MKX, which I ruled out despite loving that feature. However, I am concerned about the Q5's spotty reliability record. I know another thread blasted Consumer Reports for saying the truth, that the 3.2 is below average in reliability and the 2.0 is average. Even the Audi Koolaid drinkers will have to admit that things go wrong with these vehicles at a significant rate, just read this forum. That is my biggest concern. So how 'bout it, how about a 100,000 mile report from those that have gone at least that far.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you are reading between the lines too much but you wont believe it because you already refer to those who support as "Audi Koolaid drinkers".

The average distance on 2.0 TFSI seems to be about 21k miles so far. I will also be interested to see some reports here. Good or bad will be (if not already) recorded for your further analysis.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Let me say that it was not my intention to insult anyone. A Koolaid drinker is someone who has such a committed subjective view of something they ignore the facts and want to kill the messenger, so to speak. Hence demeaning Consumer Reports for honest reporting of reliability. That's why I'd love to hear from real owners about this issue.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what people were criticising the reliability reports for was that they lumped all 3.2 Q5's together regardless of year. The early delivery Q's had a few distinct issues that were fixed under warranty (water pump and DRL's) and later years had none of the problems. Hence the early models are heavily dragging down the overall up time of the later vehicles.

The early 2.0TFSI Q5's had oil burning issues but they seem to have been all cleared up before this engine variant was released into the NA market.

To get a bigger sample size for reliability you might want to take a look at the B8 A4/A5 vehicles as well, as they all use the same basic platform.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

The 2013 Q5 3.0T Prestige model has ventilated seats.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

How many times can an owner who runs one of these to 100K miles expect to need the carbon build up cleaned out?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I just hit 50K on my A3 with 2.0T and not a single problem. Engine feels as strong as it was when new.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
How many times can an owner who runs one of these to 100K miles expect to need the carbon build up cleaned out?
The OP asked about the 2.0T. AFAIK there is no carbon issue with this engine.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mississippi Birdman
Hence demeaning Consumer Reports for honest reporting of reliability.
Honest reporting should be complete and thorough reporting. CR has always been remiss in this regard.

All models with a plastic coolant pump(all of 2009 and early 2010) would be included in the reporting that gave the 3.2 V6 a BLACK spot(poor rating). The same scenario applies to the DRLs.

Unfortunately, that black spot applies to ALL of the 2010 models even though many were not affected by the issues. Additionally, both of these issues were corrected by recall/TSB. CR's reporting would have one believe that the engines are still prone to failure/low reliability. The recalls/TSBs to correct issues are NEVER reported by CR for ANY car. Seeing that black spot may scare away a naive would-be consumer looking to purchase a pre-owned Q5 3.2.

This is just 1 instance of how the CR reporting is skewed and/or inaccurate in the real world.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
I think what people were criticising the reliability reports for was that they lumped all 3.2 Q5's together regardless of year. The early delivery Q's had a few distinct issues that were fixed under warranty (water pump and DRL's) and later years had none of the problems. Hence the early models are heavily dragging down the overall up time of the later vehicles.

The early 2.0TFSI Q5's had oil burning issues but they seem to have been all cleared up before this engine variant was released into the NA market.

To get a bigger sample size for reliability you might want to take a look at the B8 A4/A5 vehicles as well, as they all use the same basic platform.

Let me chime in that I have a 09 Q5 3.2 and I have had zero issues. I am at 46000 miles so far. I have only had scheduled maint and the water pump recall done. It's my belief that if you use the best gas and maintain your car your problems will be nill or minimal. I have had good luck with other vehicles with this practice as well. I love the Q5!!

Quick Reply: Long-Term 2.0 Q5 Reliability Up to 100K?