Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Lexus vs Audi reliability ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus vs Audi reliability ?

I have driven Lexus LS460's for 10 years. They are absolutely trouble free - only routine maintenance. I am planning to purchase a 2018 Q5. Any former Lexus owners that can comment on reliability of Lexus vs Audi? Any other major differences you think I will notice?
Old 08-24-2017, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by waynedog
I have driven Lexus LS460's for 10 years. They are absolutely trouble free - only routine maintenance. I am planning to purchase a 2018 Q5. Any former Lexus owners that can comment on reliability of Lexus vs Audi? Any other major differences you think I will notice?
Haven't owned Lexus but it's pretty well known they are top for reliability. If I remember, Audi is just above mid pack.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi's reliability numbers have been steadily improving over the last few years, but definitely not above Toyota/Lexus' numbers.
When you're getting a first-year model built in a brand new factory in a new country, you should instead expect to see some issues.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Wayne, if your primary concern is "reliability", you'd stick with an Asian car.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Actually, according to Consumer Reports, Audi ranks #1 as the best brand overall. Lexus is #4. The overall score is the combination of road tests, predicted reliability, owner satisfaction, and safety.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...vehicles-2017/
Old 08-25-2017, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The overall score is not an indication of better reliability with CR. I also driven Lexus for years and the LS is the pinnacle of reliability. Particularly the older 430 series. They are fantastic vechiles, easier to work on, and more reliable. But when it comes to German cars Audi is the best and a lot more enjoyable to drive.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks everyone for their comments. Of course it will come with the 4 yr/50k new car warranty with "valet" service (they come get it and leave loaner when it needs servicing?). I usually only drive 12k/yr and keep cars 3 - 4 years so I will be covered under warranty for the time I own it. I am extremely busy and do not have time to deal with car issues. Has anyone used the new car "valet" service - do they really make it that easy - you just call them and they come get the car and leave a loaner?
Old 08-25-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by StealthyQ
Actually, according to Consumer Reports, Audi ranks #1 as the best brand overall. Lexus is #4. The overall score is the combination of road tests, predicted reliability, owner satisfaction, and safety.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...vehicles-2017/
Right there, "predicted" reliability. I kinda like track record.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by waynedog
Thanks everyone for their comments. Of course it will come with the 4 yr/50k new car warranty with "valet" service (they come get it and leave loaner when it needs servicing?). I usually only drive 12k/yr and keep cars 3 - 4 years so I will be covered under warranty for the time I own it. I am extremely busy and do not have time to deal with car issues. Has anyone used the new car "valet" service - do they really make it that easy - you just call them and they come get the car and leave a loaner?
12k/yr and keep cars 3 - 4 years. Lease?
Old 08-25-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Valet pickup and loaner service?

I thought that was from *Lincoln*. Haven't heard Audi talking about that.

In the US, RollsRoyce used to go one better. If your Rolls "failed to proceed" they sent out a truck from Atlas Van Lines, a closed moving truck, to bring your Rolls into the shop. So one would never have to see a Rolls on a tow truck. And, they left you a Bentley as a service loaner.

Quick Reply: Lexus vs Audi reliability ?