Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

key fob

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key fob

I bought a 2012 2.0t q5 with only one key fob. Assuming I buy another key fob, how much will it cost to reprogram both key fobs? Can only a dealer do this reprogramming ?
Old 02-06-2018, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by sg9045
I bought a 2012 2.0t q5 with only one key fob. Assuming I buy another key fob, how much will it cost to reprogram both key fobs? Can only a dealer do this reprogramming ?
Dealer or Geko account licensed garage. I dont think they will charge you less than half an hour because they need to connect with audi on-line system in order to reprogram the keys. The second key is a quick process.

Also old key (one missing) should be erased during this process.

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-06-2018 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sg9045
Cost us about $500 for a replacement for lost key at dealer.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had 3 keys for my S5 programmed this morning. $138, $150. with tax. If you buy a key from anywhere else,

they may not be able to program it(Or at least that is what they will tell you)
Old 02-08-2018, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A6forMoi
Cost us about $500 for a replacement for lost key at dealer.
Do you know how much for the key and how much for the labour?? Would be nice to split the two in order to examine why this is high.

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-08-2018 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by apoelistas
Do you know how much for the key and how much for the labour?? Would be nice to split the two in order to examine why this is high.
My wife lost it so I let her deal with it. I believe it was more labor than part - maybe ~2/3 vs. 1/3. It's obscene no matter what though. They know they have you and there's no real aftermarket way to do it.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I know there are some older threads that do detail all this.

Supposedly, the Audi dealers use a slow speed connection to a highly secure Audi secret server hidden somewhere in Germany, and that's the only way to car can be reprogrammed. So they can charge you whatever they want. Yes, you can buy cheaper fobs, and yes, and locksmith can but a key. BUT. In order to program the immobilizer in the car correctly, so that the fob and key will *always* be able to disable the security system and start the car, not just open the doors, you need to pay the dealer rate.

Which is all ludicrous considering how easily the whole system can be bypassed. (As most makes can be.)

Strongly suggest that folks who have ever lost anything, consider getting a "Tile" or other bluetooth tag to keep on the fob. At least it gives you a fighting chance to find where the fob went.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
I know there are some older threads that do detail all this.

Supposedly, the Audi dealers use a slow speed connection to a highly secure Audi secret server hidden somewhere in Germany, and that's the only way to car can be reprogrammed. So they can charge you whatever they want. Yes, you can buy cheaper fobs, and yes, and locksmith can but a key. BUT. In order to program the immobilizer in the car correctly, so that the fob and key will *always* be able to disable the security system and start the car, not just open the doors, you need to pay the dealer rate.

Which is all ludicrous considering how easily the whole system can be bypassed. (As most makes can be.)

Strongly suggest that folks who have ever lost anything, consider getting a "Tile" or other bluetooth tag to keep on the fob. At least it gives you a fighting chance to find where the fob went.
After retrofitting keyless entry access, I carry my advanced key in a man purse/satchel. Since then I never loose my key.

However tile for Bluetooth tracking device might be a good remedy to find a lost key, but wouldn't the Bluetooth or tile trackable devices need a frequent recharge ?????

Originally Posted by A6forMoi
My wife lost it so I let her deal with it. I believe it was more labor than part - maybe ~2/3 vs. 1/3. It's obscene no matter what though. They know they have you and there's no real aftermarket way to do it.
Yes this is correct. Keys, removing component protection, control unit svm spec/actual comparison to parametrize or code new control units are 3 things we need the dealer. Firmware might be the 4th but I carry my own research on this and firmware update at home, since there is no automatic Audi way either apart from reading the TPIs (ELSA) or for us ERWIN or accessing a specific parts catalogue ETKA online information. Don't expect Audi dealer to update a control module of your car unless you have a specific problem or you request for a specific SVM update (if you read the TPIs from ERWIN or find the svm from forums), the TPI extracted from ELSA or ERWIN will explicetely mention the svm firmware update. My Q5 2009 has all latest firmware updates, even the 2 that were made available in 2017 (ecu and gateway).

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-08-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

In the case of the "Tile" brand devices (they make regular ones, slim adhesive ones, and thicker long-range louder ones) right now all use a lithium coin cell, possibly a 2032 or 2064, which they say will last about a year depending on use. (i.e. if you page it frequently, it will consume more power.) In this case you need to simply replace the Tile every year (and they will remind you) or consider opening it up and replacing the battery. I plan to explore that at the end of the year.

There are other brands that use a replaceable battery, presumably not as water resistant. Some offer the BT "the crowd will find it" feature, some don't. Some are less expensive, so there are options. A friend noticed my tile and mentioned that he is IN a beta program they have, testing out Tiles with replaceable batteries, but Tile support claims no such program exists. Personally, I'm betting that I can replace a battery, I've done it in more complex and more sensitive and more securely sealed devices.(G)

Tile claims they can be tracked "up to 100 meters" which probably means the device has good range, but at least here in the US, the bluetooth chips used in cell phones have a range of only ten meters at the most. Mysteriously, I did get a message two weeks ago that my phone had located someone else's lost device so they could recover it, so I guess the "cloud" portion sometimes works as well.

And I also realized, this means (to a limited extent) you can find out where you car really is, when it is "in the shop" or with a valet.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RRM707
Just had 3 keys for my S5 programmed this morning. $138, $150. with tax. If you buy a key from anywhere else,

they may not be able to program it(Or at least that is what they will tell you)
Good price! Where was that, I only have one fob since I lost one but don't want to spend the $350 my dealer has quoted me.

Quick Reply: key fob