Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Iphone features and Q5

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too put my CDs on SD cards. And I agree with both Urban and Trident as to that being the way to go.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree SD cards are the way to go, the fidelity is much better. My ipod sits unused in the glove box with all my low bitrate (128 & 192) mp3's just so i can have access if needed.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ill Try to post some pics soon of my install.

For me, I dont want to manage another device. If I buy a song, or album I dont need to remember to sync it to a nano in my car. The music quality(for me) is fine.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Currently, I leave a dedicated iPod touch (flash memory runs best with MMI) in the glovebox and keep up to date with syncing. Now, I didn't read this whole thread so I'm sorry if you have come to a solution, but here's what I planned to do with my old Jeep Grand Cherokee...

Apple has this neat thing called 'Airplay', I'm sure you've heard of the technology before. I had this idea a while back which consisted of an Apple Airport Express (a portable internet router, hereby referred to as AAE), an AUX input into the car stereo, and a dedicated AC power source to plug the AAE in at all times. What happens here is when you turn your car on, the AAE will be able to receive Airplay signals from an iDevice using Wi-Fi, and will send those out through its AUX port, which is plugged into the car.

Put it this way - you get in, turn the car on, press play on music or whatever app supports Airplay (I'm sure Pandora does) and it streams to your car through that router. I believe this would solve your problem?

Besides the obvious advantages, there were some disadvantages, as well as some impracticalities.
- Your iPhone battery will drain like crazy, but this is solved by a DC iPhone charger at your side, this at least gets it out of the GB and into your hands.
- The AAE takes 1:30 to boot up - this was a pain in my truck because being a diesel, it required ALL of the battery power to turn the engine over, causing a quick power outage to the device and then I have to wait another minute and 30.
- The AAE heats up after extended use.
- Using this setup when the car's not running could drain your battery.

All in all, I saw this to be a great system, and is indeed worth looking into. Honestly, once I got my Q5 with MMI after that friggin Jeep, I laughed at the very thought of it. But for someone who wants to be able to have their phone in their hand at all times, or wants to play Pandora, this is a possible solution. Alternatively, if you just had an AUX input into the car (I think such cable exists), you could extend it with an extension cable (the same would probably work with the 30-pin cable but that usually gets buggy with the iPhones) and have it long enough to pinch its way through the glovebox crack.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Old 10-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The A2DP bridge I bought arrived. It works fine with some of my speakers with an iPod-dock, but I can't get it to work my with my A3. The car does not recognize any iPod present. Hopefully it will work with the Q5... eta Tuesday...
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2011, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If you jailbreak the phone and download music controls pro then yes, you can play Pandora and other apps thru the mmi with the standard cable that came with the car.[/QUOTE]

YES! I can finally listen to Pandora. Thanks!!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by woolie
The A2DP bridge I bought arrived. It works fine with some of my speakers with an iPod-dock, but I can't get it to work my with my A3. The car does not recognize any iPod present. Hopefully it will work with the Q5... eta Tuesday...
Woolie, like I mentioned below, you will have to modify your cable! Doesn't matter what model your car is, as long as it's a MMI/AMI, that cable has to be modified in order for the system to work with your A2DP receiver.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ah, I missed your previous post. It fell off a page boundary. Anyway, I don't mind modifying the cable. Do you have any pointers to schematics or a write-up of someone who's done it?
Old 10-08-2011, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think both the SD card and the AMI have their uses and I'm glad to have both

* I have an iPod Nano which I sync with all my podcasts and audio-books every weekend, and this is definitely the best way to listen to Podcasts since it allows me to manage automatically with iTunes. Besides the quality of the audio is just fine for podcasts. I also have a specific smart list to sync all the music I have bought as individual songs in iTunes and some oldi music I still like to listen to once in a while

* For all the Music I want high quality I rip from CD @ high bit-rate to the SD card

What I really miss is the A2DP So I could use a couple of apps I like from iPhone (Like Pandora and Internet Radio) which I use to discover new music and to listen to foreign radio stations. may have to go with the modded AMI cable and A2DP dongle if Audi has no plans of fixing this (sucks)
Old 10-08-2011, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by woolie
Ah, I missed your previous post. It fell off a page boundary. Anyway, I don't mind modifying the cable. Do you have any pointers to schematics or a write-up of someone who's done it?
Here, http://www.a5oc.com/forums/164948-post111.html

Basically change the resistor loop in the original cable to a 1k Ohm resistor and leave the rest of the cables untouched. That way the MMI/AMI will think you plugged in an aux device.

Quick Reply: Iphone features and Q5