Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 09:22 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior LED swap DIY with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced the Tuner Dome hyperwhite LED's in the front map lights with their nightvision red LED's. I like the results. Though the photo doesn't do it justice, the red LED's do light up enough to read handwritten notes without lighting up the cabin with white lights and blowing out my nightvision. If I need more light, I just hit the dome light and it's like daylight inside.

From the outside in the dark looking into the cabin with just the red map lights on, you can see a slight red hue inside the front cabin, but not enough to draw immediate attention.
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Charles Rea
I went with this company...was less expensive (including the spudgers) and while I had already replaced the license plate lights to LEd they sell them as well.

Mine turned out great

http://www.xtralights.com/10-upaudiq...depackage.aspx

I took some quick and dirty pix with my iPhone last week. The white color is almost surgical...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2855734
based on your experience I ordered from them for my 2012 Q7. They sent me the same cheap bulbs you can get on ebay. most of them had a ridge on the base that prevented them from seating in the fixture. Some of them flickered when off. Emailed them pics and video and they sent me different bulbs with the same type of base. I would avoid this company.
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2014, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by urotex
based on your experience I ordered from them for my 2012 Q7. They sent me the same cheap bulbs you can get on ebay. most of them had a ridge on the base that prevented them from seating in the fixture. Some of them flickered when off. Emailed them pics and video and they sent me different bulbs with the same type of base. I would avoid this company.
you can always spread the opening a bit to fit the bulb. They flicker because they aren't error free bulbs and its a cheap quality build. I think 70% of vendors are selling this type of bulb.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I tried to spread them. Easier said than done. I spent half an hour with needle nose pliers and a small screwdriver on one fixture. The problem is, when you spread the opening to allow the bulb to fit, it moves the contacts in the back and they don't contact the bulb for it to light. It can be done, but I honestly didn't want to waste all that time on every bulb. It's really a PITA.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is a wrong bulb, at least the shape is wrong. High quality LEDs like Tunerdomes fit like a glove, dim properly and don't flicker. You've invested quite a bit in your Audi purchase, don't buy cheap crap off ebay.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by urotex

Interesting, I purchased from the same vendor based on the poster's recommendation for my q5, and I don't recall having the issues you have.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

as long as you do your search you will get good bulbs at a cheaper price

Name:  PhotoJan1665037AM_zps6e4ae607.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  PhotoJan1665048AM_zpsb358fe9a.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  58.2 KB
Old 01-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
as long as you do your search you will get good bulbs at a cheaper price
$30 spent on ebay LEDs to do my entire interior. No flickering, no errors!
Attached Images    
Old 01-24-2014, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dadizon
$30 spent on ebay LEDs to do my entire interior. No flickering, no errors!
nice and bright! but I got mine for less then 30 lol
Old 01-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, there are quite a few companies out there who sell inferior bulbs and offer inferior customer service but they are cheap. As multiple posters have stated, you get what you pay for, usually, I am confident enough in the company I work for and the people I work with to say we have very low prices yet still offer exceptional customer service, a quality product and accurate fitment research. I know, we don't currently offer LED replacement bulbs for Audi's, but I will mention it to the team and hopefully we can start carrying some LED options. For now, I can say I have received quality service and a quality product from superbrightleds.com in the past for projects around the office, showroom and in client vehicles, so I feel comfortable recommending them as a good option. I believe they are an Audiworld sponsor as well.

Quick Reply: Interior LED swap DIY with Pics