Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

If I get my Q5 before road trip, what "prep" should I do? VAGCOM essentials? Nav/MP3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Do you need seatbelt on to release parking brake?

I see this as a VCDS item:
"Enable Release Parking Brake without putting seatbelt"
which infers that without this setting, I would need seatbelt on to release parking brake. Is that true? Seems unlikely - but then why wasn't this article written in the opposite direction (Disable...). Hmmm
Old 08-26-2013, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
Depends on what you want to do with VCDS:

1.Enabling Gauge Test/Needle Sweep
2.Keep LED DRL's on With Turn Signal
3.Fog Light turns on with turn signal (Curb Side Lighting)
4.Adjust LED Brightness
and .......

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagCom.html
http://www.audigh.com/vag-com

To German but in Google Chrome with translators is not a problem

http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/audi-q5-8r.php
So how does one get this done and does it effect warranty. Would love to get the 2. LED on with turn signal and 3. Fogs on with turn signal. Also, the DVD player while driving would be nice.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
I see this as a VCDS item:
"Enable Release Parking Brake without putting seatbelt"
which infers that without this setting, I would need seatbelt on to release parking brake. Is that true? Seems unlikely - but then why wasn't this article written in the opposite direction (Disable...). Hmmm
I did this on my Q5 and well is functioning
Old 08-26-2013, 11:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by wrcardon
So how does one get this done and does it effect warranty. Would love to get the 2. LED on with turn signal and 3. Fogs on with turn signal. Also, the DVD player while driving would be nice.
Depending on the dealer, in fact this is not doing anything new just allows functions that are hidden by default settings.
You do not change the software as such as ECU
The same software is on a lot of models of Audi A4, A5, A6, Q5 ....
Old 08-27-2013, 12:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

don't forget to kill the seatbelt chime via VCDS... Now I always make sure all passengers including me buckle up, but that chime is so damn annoying once you park, take off your belt, but leave the engine running for some reason or another. Is it just me or did Audi change the chime on newer Q5's? Seems to me that my 2014 has an even louder and more annoying seatbelt chime than my 2010! As soon as I find where I put my VAG cable, this is first change I will make.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prep for Roadtrip....

Hi Mark -

I personally would do just one thing before the road trip.... a good exterior detail.

I washed, clay bar-ed, and waxed (2 coats) my new 2014 and was AMAZED at the difference in surface finish quality.

The cars come over on a boat with sea salt, iron dust from rail cars, etc. Although the dealer does a WASH as part of prep, my dealer certainly didn't clay bar or wax.

Going out on the road with rain, mud, dust, potential snow, bugs, fresh asphalt (it's road repair season!), etc., I really suggest a good wax barrier before doing any VCDS changes.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

I did this on my Q5 and well is functioning
Are you saying that without this change, you previously needed to have the seatbelt buckled in order to release the parking brake?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mark P
Are you saying that without this change, you previously needed to have the seatbelt buckled in order to release the parking brake?
It's not a classic parking brake but it Audi hold assist

Audi hold assist

Audi hold assist

Easily held: Audi hold assist keeps the car stationary once it has stopped and automatically prevents it from rolling on uphill and downhill gradients. There is no need to use the handbrake, making hill starts even easier.

During stops on uphill and downhill gradients, Audi hold assist holds the car stationary for as long as you like. It is activated by pressing a button and allows the driver to set the car in motion smoothly without having to use the handbrake at all. If the vehicle remains stationary for a long period with Audi hold assist active, the system automatically switches over to the electromechanical parking brake. There is no need to operate the handbrake to pull away.

Audi hold assist is part of the ABS-ESP control system. After you release the brake pedal, the hydraulic pressure is maintained, meaning the hydraulic system keeps the brake pads pressed against the brake discs at the front and rear. During this process, the electromechanical parking brake is not in operation. The advantages: a quicker reaction time, less noise and less braking effect at all four wheels, and enhanced comfort. Audi hold assist is only available in conjunction with the electromechanical parking brake.

Last edited by spijun; 08-27-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as I know needle sweep is reserved only for the Hybrids, RS and S models in Audi
Fixed
Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

I added V1 Hardwire, Clearbra install, and wax to the list

Quick Reply: If I get my Q5 before road trip, what "prep" should I do? VAGCOM essentials? Nav/MP3?