Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How To tell if you have the problematic plastic water pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How To tell if you have the problematic plastic water pump

First off, since nothing has been verified by Audi, I am going forward with my assumption that the problem has to do with water pumps that have plastic HOUSINGS, not impellers. Going from the mode of failure, and what has been seen on some 3.0T engines I am assuming that this is indeed the issue.

Another disclaimer, I have not myself seen in person a pump with a plastic housing, but again assuming that is the problem, and the fix is a pump with an aluminum housing, it is easy enough to determine which one your car has.

Make sure the engine is OFF and the car is cool! This can be done in under a minute by ANYONE.
First step is to pop off the 3.2 V6 cover at the front of the engine (just pull up, if should come off easily. This picture is to orient you as to where you are looking. (you need to look underneath the vacuum servo from the side of the engine)

This is what you are looking for. You should see the housing of the pump towards the front of the car, and how it is bolted to the actual block.

This is a more detailed picture. You can see here the housing on my car is indeed aluminum. If it is plastic, it should look like black plastic. If you are in doubt, scratch or tap it, you should be able to tell the difference. Dont confuse the pump housing with the engine block (which is it bolted to), if in doubt, look for the head of the torx bolt (right underneath the arrow) and evaluate the material directly behind it.

I am interested to see people's results. My car has a build date of 4/10 ( found on the sticker on the lower drivers door jamb) and has the aluminum housing pump. I am not sure if it is a build date, location, or random thing, but people are obviously having issues so perhaps this will bring relief to some (and fret to others)
Old 09-27-2010, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is great... thanks! I'm out of town now, but this is the first thing I'm going to do when I get back next week.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is AL and the date on the door says 10/09.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Late and obvious correction to my reply: Is housing not impeller

My understanding (from reading other posts/websites) is the impeller inside the pump can be plastic or alloy. The problem being that the plastic impellor fails by slipping on its shaft which cannot be seen from the outside. So its really not obvious and will be dealt with by Audi via VIN numbers or production batch.
Either way the most recent fail report is from a car with an arrival date of Nov 09. The fails were in 09s and early 10s. No reports from any MY 2011 as production has been updated.

Last edited by Jusforfun; 12-07-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
My understanding is the impeller inside the pump can be plastic or alloy. The problem being that the plastic impellor fails by slipping on its shaft which cannot be seen from the outside. So its really not obvious and will be dealt with by Audi via VIN numbers or production batch.
Either way the most recent fail report is from a car with an arrival date of Nov 09. The fails were in 09s and early 10s. No reports from any MY 2011 as production has been updated.
here is my issue with that, plastic impeller failures on the 1.8t/2.0 engines usually caused nothing more then overheating and if you were unlucky, a broken timing belt. The loss/breakdown of the impeller caused coolant flow to cease, and the engine overheated. The new engines are suffering massive coolant loss upon failure, which in my mind, points to a failure in the actual housing or a seal. If someone can show me otherwise, then I will glady retract my statement, but threads I have seen in the 3.0t forum show pumps with both plastic and aluminum housings having steel impellers. Either way, I personally do not see it as an impeller issue.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Two more data points:

2010 build 04/10 - Ali
2011 build 07/10 - Ali
Old 09-27-2010, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MY 2011, build 07/10 - Aluminum.

Thanks for these great, detailed pics!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

How do I find out when my build date was?

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Build date 11/09, plastic housing, no entry in the Audi recall database, not gone to the dealer yet
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2010, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just glad that I was nearby my house when the water pump fail. Was able to limp it back home. Also, the dealer is about 5mins away.

Quick Reply: How To tell if you have the problematic plastic water pump