Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How to fill AbBlue? Dealer wanted $100-$150, got 2.5 gals at VW for $15, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's all the same ratio I think. My local Audi dealership is also a Ford dealership and they sell the Ford brand much cheaper. VW gives me a military discount though.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark P
After using that first. I just cut a hole out of the end (didn't cut the whole end off) so when I lay it on its side in trunk storage any remaining residual liquid doesnt drip out.

The only "trick" when filling seems to be that it's a closed system so it needs to burp air out. This went fine at first but then when it seemed full and i unscrewed bottle, a big burp came with splatter. So just be careful when unscreing bottle if not all goes in. Furthermore I got to where no more would go in (even removing the bottle still was liquid in filler neck), but then some gentle figure eights back and forth on an incline allowed fluid to get down into areas of the tank. I had tried first filling with car on inclune to improve burping per one online suggestion. I guess it helped but still had to do my figure eights. I was down to 300 miles remaining and put all 3 gallons (0.5 + 2.5) in.
Good info Mark. Yeah, we all have issues with getting all the fluid into the closed system but eventually it works. FWIW, our Adblue tank is roughly 6 gal, so you could buy a 2nd 2.5 gal jug and dump that in as well.

Since you were down to 300 miles, the big question is: Did your Adblue warning reset by itself after you added 3 gallons?

Last edited by brutus23079; 11-24-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by brutus23079
Good info Mark. Yeah, we all have issues with getting all the fluid into the closed system but eventually it works. FWIW, our Adblue tank is roughly 6 gal, so you could buy a 2nd 2.5 gal jug and dump that in as well.

Since you were down to 300 miles, the big question is: Did your Adblue warning reset by itself after you added 3 gallons?
Sorry, realized after I didn't include that. Edited now to include:
When I did my figure eights, I didn't do anything special when I started up the car (in hindsight recalled references to having car with power on for 30 seconds before starting). The 300 mile warning went away and I had no warnings of any kind. I never had a CEL which I understand may come later (at 0 miles remaining?).
Old 11-24-2015, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

You get the pitcher symbol to indicate low fluid. The wrench (and maybe CEL) come on only when there's a fault. I had the pitcher at 600mi and it switched to a wrench (with CEL) at 500mi because the pump failed right at that point. Good to hear the warning went away. The official maintenance schedule says, "adapt learned values for AdBlue tank under guided fault finding after filling fluid". Sounds like Audi is now letting the Q5's computer do that vs sticking its customers with yet another extra-cash-for-Audi / VCDS value reset. As I don't trust Audi (geez why not? LOL), I'd keep an eye on it and only be comfortable that the adaptation was self-done after driving another 400miles, i.e. past the original warning mileage. I'll have to do the figure-8s next time. I had been just driving around and topping off every few days. After you mentioned it, I remember DutchVanAtlanta's recommendation to fill on an incline (on a Q7?). I'll give that a shot next time as well...

Seeing you pop up on AW reminded me I haven't been on your website (myturbodiesel.com) in a long time. You are chittychittybangbang correct? With the TDI debacle, I bet you're staying busy over there. FWIW, I used your videos to first learn about VW TDIs. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by brutus23079; 11-24-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"To remove the AdBlue cap, you must use a wheel bolt wrench
(see above), located in your vehicle’s tool kit."

So if the fluid is dealer installed, a trained technician using a special (ahem) wheel bolt wrench will be justified in charging you for at least a half hour's labor. That makes sense, many owners don't know where the vehicle's tool kit is, or how to use it.

Remember that most drivers used to pay extra to have a "full service" gas station attendant pump their gasoline, as well. I think Audi is missing a huge opportunity, to sell Audi-branded gasoline at the dealerships as well. ;-)
Old 11-25-2015, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I use an 18mm socket to remove the cap.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
"To remove the AdBlue cap, you must use a wheel bolt wrench
(see above), located in your vehicle’s tool kit."

So if the fluid is dealer installed, a trained technician using a special (ahem) wheel bolt wrench will be justified in charging you for at least a half hour's labor. That makes sense, many owners don't know where the vehicle's tool kit is, or how to use it.

Remember that most drivers used to pay extra to have a "full service" gas station attendant pump their gasoline, as well. I think Audi is missing a huge opportunity, to sell Audi-branded gasoline at the dealerships as well. ;-)
LOL!

That's right:
"Failure to use Audi dealership fuel may void your warranty. Use only Audi-branded fuel for piece of mind that you're giving your Audi the very best. Trust us, we would never lie to you!" Lol.

Only thing I'd say on the cap is don't over-tighten. It's a typical fine German-engineered plastic POS...
Old 12-04-2015, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And one more small trick to this thread. I park on a downhill when I refill the DEF. It helps the fluid go down to the main tank faster - IMO.

I had filled DEF out of the 2.5 Gal jug just with the little hose it comes with. Again, burping might be a small issue, but it becomes apparent only when the tank is almost full anyway.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd

If you live in Oregon, you still get that special privilege I'm told. I guess filling you car requires special training and is too dangerous for drivers to do themselves.