Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Heater issue.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Heater issue.

Ok, the cool weather is upon us, so turned on the heat at about 68 - 70 and the driver's side air is way warmer than that and the passenger side air is way colder. Both side are set at the same temp.

Any ideas?

Bob
Old 10-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue several days ago.

I picked my car up this past March in Ingolstadt and drove it for several days in the cold weather (much colder than its been here lately) and did notice it then.

I pulled my manual out this weekend to see if there was some setting I inadvertently triggered but found nothing. Very strange.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts
Default A guess: heater control valve, or just bleeding

If it is like an A8, it will have a heater control valve that regulates hot water flow to two panels, one each side. If the Q5 (A5) is a simpler design, it may use just one heater panel and then blend doors (controlled by actuators) in the heater airflow to regulate temp. that way. It could also be that the system needs to be bled, though only even logical if there are different heating circuits for the two sides (since you know the driver's side is effective).

Net it's a trip to the dealer, and likely w/ some parts replacement. Just be sure it's repeatable so they can confirm it. If you have a VAG COM by the way, you can scan it. If it's a blend door issue, it may show up as a fault code. The control valve probably won't.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks. I will wait until my first service is due - figure about a month.

Bob
Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had my first service a few weeks ago, so looks like I'll have to take it in just for this.

When I drove home from work this evening the outside air temp was 52 degrees. I had the temp setting at 68 degrees and again the heat was blasting out the driver side vent and cool air out the passenger side vent.

*** On my last post, I meant to say I did NOT notice this problem back in March ****
Old 10-28-2013, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've also noticed something odd about the ventilation. To this point, I have yet to feel any air flow from the center vents (both front and back) in "auto" mode. The flow and temperature from the two front side vents seems consistent for me but I'm wondering why the system would not automatically send some air flow to the center vents ?

Could either of these behaviors be a software issue, perhaps even related to MMI ? I think there are some ventilation settings under the "car" menu. I guess I will have to do some experimenting.

My list of problems with my Q5 are starting to pile up... seven and counting now. Not sure I can hold off until my first scheduled maintenance. This is really shocking for me. The only issue I ever had with my 8+ year old A3 was a crack in a faux leather section of my driver's seat.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's normal for the center vents to not blow when on Auto.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by thinktwice
It's normal for the center vents to not blow when on Auto.
I've noticed that Auto seems to direct a lot of air to the front windshield vent, probably as a safety feature to keep the windshield from fogging up. And I suppose directing air to the center console vents would have the biggest impact on reducing flow to the center windshield vent.

I did play around with the manual vent control and was able to get air thru the center vents, but the rotating **** control of the vents is not very intuitive. I guess I will just leave it in Auto.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bob m
Ok, the cool weather is upon us, so turned on the heat at about 68 - 70 and the driver's side air is way warmer than that and the passenger side air is way colder. Both side are set at the same temp.

Any ideas?

Bob
I noticed this on my 2013 Q5 a couple of times but then realized it happens during the day only. I suspect that there are sensors on both the driver and passenger sides of the interior. I believe that the sensor detects warm sunlight coming through the window and adjusts the airflow accordingly. Warm sun was streaming through the driver's side when I noticed the cooler temperature air from the driver's side vent. At night when everything is equal, I haven't noticed the air temp. difference.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 123Audi4me
I noticed this on my 2013 Q5 a couple of times but then realized it happens during the day only. I suspect that there are sensors on both the driver and passenger sides of the interior. I believe that the sensor detects warm sunlight coming through the window and adjusts the airflow accordingly. Warm sun was streaming through the driver's side when I noticed the cooler temperature air from the driver's side vent. At night when everything is equal, I haven't noticed the air temp. difference.

BINGO!!!

Quick Reply: Heater issue.