Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Heated Seats inadequate

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Seats inadequate

We've had a cold spell here in Seattle and it was a perfect time to try out the heated seats at the temperature in the low 20's. I found that they were barely warm at the highest setting on my new used prestige 2011 Q5 and if I wasn't wearing a jacket, parts of my back felt cold for quite a while. I took it to the dealer and they said that the seats heat was "within spec" and therefore nothing could be done. I've owned an A4 and my other car is a BMW and in comparison the Q5 seat heating seems really to not work for extreme cold weather environment. I wanted to find out other peoples thoughts on this. I'm a little bummed with this and find it hard to believe that Audi can let this kind of an issue pass.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audivkk
We've had a cold spell here in Seattle and it was a perfect time to try out the heated seats at the temperature in the low 20's. I found that they were barely warm at the highest setting on my new used prestige 2011 Q5 and if I wasn't wearing a jacket, parts of my back felt cold for quite a while. I took it to the dealer and they said that the seats heat was "within spec" and therefore nothing could be done. I've owned an A4 and my other car is a BMW and in comparison the Q5 seat heating seems really to not work for extreme cold weather environment. I wanted to find out other peoples thoughts on this. I'm a little bummed with this and find it hard to believe that Audi can let this kind of an issue pass.
If your Q5 is a CPO, I suggest to take it to the dealership and have them looked at. Something doesn't sound right. The seats in our 2013 get so warm on the 3rd setting that I turn mine down to 1 or 2 after several minutes. This has been a harsh winter so far with temperatures regularly close to or below zero. It's 2 above zero right now.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
If your Q5 is a CPO, I suggest to take it to the dealership and have them looked at. Something doesn't sound right. The seats in our 2013 get so warm on the 3rd setting that I turn mine down to 1 or 2 after several minutes. This has been a harsh winter so far with temperatures regularly close to or below zero. It's 2 above zero right now.
It is at the dealership and they are the ones who said it is within spec and that they won't do anything. My car isn't a CPO but still has warranty remaining through this fall. Good to know about yours.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I swear if I were to keep mine at max, they would possibly burn me. My seats get way too hot for me in my SQ.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There was a whole set of threads about this with people feeling the same way...I think they changed the heated seat design in 2012 or later that makes them much hotter.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gronk
There was a whole set of threads about this with people feeling the same way...I think they changed the heated seat design in 2012 or later that makes them much hotter.
You are correct. I've owned a 2011 and currently have a 2014 Q5. My 2011 barely got warm and my 2014 gets really hot. Big improvement over the 2011.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by audivkk
I think you need to upgrade the software TSB
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ght=tsb&page=4
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ght=tsb&page=3

Last edited by spijun; 02-07-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Never saw that before, thanks - you are a mine of information!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember this as well, but I believe the TSB only applies to 2012. Those of us at 2011 or earlier are stuck so to speak.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gronk
I remember this as well, but I believe the TSB only applies to 2012. Those of us at 2011 or earlier are stuck so to speak.
Ahh I see - did you try with the dealer? IS the software not applicable to pre 2012?

Quick Reply: Heated Seats inadequate