Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Have an A5 now, but need more room...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have an A5 now, but need more room...

..Is the Q5 really just an A5 with an SUV body, more room, and higher ground clearance?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JSH5
..Is the Q5 really just an A5 with an SUV body, more room, and higher ground clearance?

Yes, in the same way as the A5 is an A4 with two doors.

Same floor pan, motor, transmission, etc.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dsackman
Yes, in the same way as the A5 is an A4 with two doors.

Same floor pan, motor, transmission, etc.

It's on the same platform but the interior space is more - more legroom in the rear.

But he can go to a dealer and see for himself
Old 09-11-2011, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Same MMI, 8 gear transmission, interior design, etc, etc??? (I know there's more room - looking more for commonalities in mechanical and features/options....

Yes, I guess I'll need to go see one for myself.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JSH5
Same MMI, 8 gear transmission, interior design, etc, etc??? (I know there's more room - looking more for commonalities in mechanical and features/options....

Yes, I guess I'll need to go see one for myself.

Thanks.

I have in my garage a 2009 A4 and a 2011 Q5, both with premium + and without NAV. From a driver's viewpoint the cars are exactly the same even down to the seats. Buttons in the same places, lights work the same, I use the same SD chip and iPod in both and two phones are registered for Bluetooth in both. The keys are the same and I often pick up the wrong key.
Only difference in the options are that the Q5 has that huge glas panel in the roof, can take a tow bar, has an inflatable spare with its associated inflator.

A4 is lighter therefore quicker both by the clock and the seat of the pants, and is a more sporty ride. The Q5 has a lot more headroom and although she is actually shorter than the A4 there is certainly a lot more space and versatality.

If you like the sportiness of the A5, but need more space, do yourself a favor and have a look at the A4 Avant as well. Quite a neat car.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have in my garage a 2009 A4 and a 2011 Q5, both with premium + and without NAV. From a driver's viewpoint the cars are exactly the same even down to the seats. Buttons in the same places, lights work the same, I use the same SD chip and iPod in both and two phones are registered for Bluetooth in both. The keys are the same and I often pick up the wrong key.
Only difference in the options are that the Q5 has that huge glas panel in the roof, can take a tow bar, has an inflatable spare with its associated inflator.

A4 is lighter therefore quicker both by the clock and the seat of the pants, and is a more sporty ride. The Q5 has a lot more headroom and although she is actually shorter than the A4 there is certainly a lot more space and versatality.

If you like the sportiness of the A5, but need more space, do yourself a favor and have a look at the A4 Avant as well. Quite a neat car.

i liked the Q5 seats over the A4 but maybe cause they were just premium? idk but yeah very similar.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

FYI...there's a different dashboard design in the A4 and A5 than the Q5.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4forDC
FYI...there's a different dashboard design in the A4 and A5 than the Q5.
Really?

Old 09-13-2011, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really?

Yes. Everything is basically in the same place (mmi screen, instrument cluster, climate controls, etc.), but the design encompassing those things is different.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

FWIW I have a Q5 at present and am looking to keep carrying two kids and a dog while saving a bit on fuel, so I have looked at either keeping the Q5 or change to A4 Avant or A5 Sportback (yes you can get a dog in the back of an A5 SB, I checked measurements though it is tight if the hound is large).

Having driven all three on the same day they are pretty similar interior-wise although i would say the A4 suffers from the cheaper looking plastics of recent Audis than the other two. I could not discern a difference between the seats in the three cars. The A5 cetainly feels a little sportier than the Avant but the Avant is much closer to an A5 than the Q5 (unsurprisingly) for ride. The added weight of the Q5 is noticeable when pushing on into corners and it just doesn't dig in the way the other two do. Also braking in the A4/5 is more positive at open road speeds.

My decision: A4 Avant