Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Had an allroad loaner yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had an allroad loaner yesterday...

Unf. The 3.0 TFSI has spoiled me. Driving the 2.0, even with all the options, really brought the experience down a level. Sure I had driver assist, but how the hell was I going to use that to get across four lanes of I-5 rolling gridlock without the power to do so?

Overall, that's a really soulless $51K car. It's not enough that they're not bringing the S4/6 and RS4/6 Avants to the US because mass market wagons don't work here... it's like they're trying to reinforce our not liking wagons here.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep scratching my head on this as well. They've eliminated all the nice wagons like the A4 and A6, and instead are pushing this overpriced (IMO) Allroad. You can get a Q5 3.0T for what it costs to get an Allroad. Granted, they're not the same thing, but it just seems that the Allroad is a poor value for what it offers, at least to me.

Does anyone know how well the Allroad is selling in the US nowadays?
Old 09-18-2014, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an allroad loaner also and was equally unimpressed. I don't understand why it costs so much for what you get.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

BTW, finding a good looking wagon with RWD and manual trans is basically impossible in the US. BMW 3-series wagon only comes with AWD and auto trans. Ugh...

There is the Cadillac CTS-V wagon, but that thing is too gaudy looking, IMO.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
I keep scratching my head on this as well. They've eliminated all the nice wagons like the A4 and A6, and instead are pushing this overpriced (IMO) Allroad. You can get a Q5 3.0T for what it costs to get an Allroad. Granted, they're not the same thing, but it just seems that the Allroad is a poor value for what it offers, at least to me.
An A4 allroad costs about $2500 more than a similarly-equipped Q5. Avant Tax at its finest, I suppose.

Does anyone know how well the Allroad is selling in the US nowadays?
Volkswagen Group Audi achieves best month ever in history of U.S. sales

Looks like the allroad sales tend about 10% lower than A8, and maybe around 15% of A4 sales. Not sure what A4 vs. A4 Avant usually broke down as while we still had the avants, but considering the poor pricing the allroad seems to be holding on to some level of halfway-decent sales.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

One of the things I like best about my SQ5 is it's blazing acceleration at freeway speeds. It gets me through those annoying clusters of drivers who seem to be happiest while driving in groups, even though there is clear road just ahead of the bunch.
I don't want to be the guy who just has to pass everybody, but I hate being hemmed in when it's not necessary.
I've had fast cars before including a Z28 SS and a '69 Plymoth GTX 440, but they didn't compare to the speed and nimbleness of this car.

Originally Posted by big residual
Unf. The 3.0 TFSI has spoiled me. Driving the 2.0, even with all the options, really brought the experience down a level. Sure I had driver assist, but how the hell was I going to use that to get across four lanes of I-5 rolling gridlock without the power to do so?

Overall, that's a really soulless $51K car. It's not enough that they're not bringing the S4/6 and RS4/6 Avants to the US because mass market wagons don't work here... it's like they're trying to reinforce our not liking wagons here.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I actually was interested in the 2014 Audi Allroad when I began searching for our next vehicle. I liked the overall size and height. I still missed the true Allroad that is offered outside of the US and in particular I liked the original Allroad which included the height adjustments. Back in the day it could sit nearly as high as an SUV "like" ground clearance.

My wife and I test drove the Allroad twice and both times walked away thinking the ride comfort was a bit to firm for us. I believe it is due to the lower profile wheels and tires.

We ended up test driving the Audi Q5 and I fell in love with the TDI.

The dealers were willing to make AMAZING deals on the Allroad as they don't sell as well due to (1) price and (2) "Us" Americans don't truly like wagons.

The dealers said that Audi priced the Allroads wrong in the US and likely did so because they wanted the Q5 to be the top seller. Clearly this strategy worked as the Allroads are definitely priced to high and the Q5s took off like a rocket in the US market.

Personally, I love the Allroad overall appearance minus (what I mentioned prior) but am pleased with our 2014 Q5 TDI!
Old 09-18-2014, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by imdakine1
The dealers said that Audi priced the Allroads wrong in the US and likely did so because they wanted the Q5 to be the top seller.
That's a weird explanation. Q5 would have sold even better if Audi did not offer the Allroad at all.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
One of the things I like best about my SQ5 is it's blazing acceleration at freeway speeds. It gets me through those annoying clusters of drivers who seem to be happiest while driving in groups, even though there is clear road just ahead of the bunch.
I don't want to be the guy who just has to pass everybody, but I hate being hemmed in when it's not necessary.
I've had fast cars before including a Z28 SS and a '69 Plymoth GTX 440, but they didn't compare to the speed and nimbleness of this car.
Amen brother! Back in the day, I had a 69 SS Camaro, a 70 RS Z28 (yeah, that one in hugger orange with white stripes), a 71 402, and a 73 Z28. This SQ feels about as powerful as that 70 was.
What I'd really like now, is a big snowplow to shove those little Hondas out of the fast lane...what are they thinking?
Maybe it's one of those things where when I get older I'll feel the need to by a Honda and **** off everyone in the fast lane that knows where they're going. Tra-la-la, la-la.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also walked into the dealer looking at the Allroad model but when I priced it out vs. the TDI it just couldn't see why I wouldn't make the jump to the TDI

I did like how their grey color is 2 tone vs. the Grey in the Q5 which seems "all" grey. And the 2.0T does get better MPG's from what I recall

Last edited by rbradleysd; 09-18-2014 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Had an allroad loaner yesterday...