Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Getting ready to do brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting ready to do brakes

I have a 2014 premium plus 3.0. I want to order brake pads front and rear. I see lots of options listed such as Girling and Brembo. How do I know what to order before disassembly. I guess my question is How do I ID what type of brakes I have, girling, brembo or ? I have looked at the catalog and I would need to know this. Just looking for OE type pads. So How do I determine my brake type before disassembly?

Last edited by jkballon; 01-23-2018 at 04:18 PM. Reason: didn’t give enough info
Old 01-22-2018, 07:03 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jkballon
I have a 2014 premium plus 3.0. I want to order brake pads front and rear. I see lots of options listed such as Girling and Brembo. How do I know what to order before disassembly.
Several years ago, after hearing the super high price that the dealer wanted for changing my brakes on my 2011 Q5, I chose to do them myself. Afterall, I had changed brakes on nearly all my previous cars. I searched Amazon for the brake pads and rotors, Read the reviews (which had some good hints), came here to Audi World and read comments, and then when to YouTube and searched... I found a treasure chest of videos (here is a youtube list for 2014 q5: https://goo.gl/HS4jyD )which really helped me know each and every step. It allowed me to see and anticipate what I would find when I took out each bolt and clip, and how to reassemble again (the most important part). It was actually quite easy... the "Hardest" part was Jacking Up the car and taking off the wheels.
Good Luck
Old 01-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brakes are so much easier and less "mysterious" than most people think. Good Youtube videos and and well-illustrated write-ups make it a snap. The part I personally like the best about the DIY approach is that if you do the whole process properly, you will probably end up with a better brake job because you will have properly bedding in the new brake pads (something most shops do not thoroughly address).
Old 01-22-2018, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I have heard that most people stay with OEM brands (just not from the dealer). I have also heard good things about hawk performance pads too, prefect for the spirited driver. There are a lot of videos on youtube that will be a wealth of knowledge for you.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah...just do it. I have used both OEM pads and Hawk. Both were just fine for our purposes. Faster wear and more dust from the OEM but quiet and consistent. The Hawks for me gave more bite but my wife also said they were too grabby initially but that was more her getting used to them compared to the OEM.
The OEM rotors are pretty pricey, like 450 a pair while Zimmerman, Brembo, Meyle etc are 120-175 pair. I've tried slotted and drilled in the past and found that a lot of brands castings and drilling/slotting are not well done. Finding cracks radiating from the drilled holes. Upgrades are not always upgrades.
The rears you will need the VAG-Com software to retract the rear calipers....no pushing them back with a c-clamp. Ross-Tech has youtube videos that walk you through doing the rears. Super easy.
The cost savings is substantial and the beer you drink tastes even better.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess my question was not clear, sorry. I looking up parts in a catalog I see several brake options for me depending on the type of system I have such as Brembo or
Girling, etc. My question is: How do I identify what type of system I have so I can order the correct pads. I'm not looking for anything special just OE type pads.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:20 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess my question was not clear, sorry. I looking up parts in a catalog I see several brake options for me depending on the type of system I have such as Brembo or
Girling, etc. My question is: How do I identify what type of system I have so I can order the correct pads. I'm not looking for anything special just OE type pads.
Seems like the dealer should be able to tell you based on your VIN. not sure though.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2014 premium plus 3.0. I want to order brake pads front and rear. I see lots of options listed such as Girling and Brembo. How do I know what to order before disassembly. I guess my question is How do I ID what type of brakes I have, girling, brembo or ? I have looked at the catalog and I would need to know this. Just looking for OE type pads. So How do I determine my brake type before disassembly?
Have a 2015. If its a 3.0T is the Brembo Kit. 345mm front 330 Rear

I bought my Pads and Rotors off of ECS Tuning, Went Stainless Steel Brake lines, EBC RedStuff Ceramics, ECS Slotted Rotors. After running 2k miles they dust way less then OEM.

Pads, Rotors, Sensor, Brake Lines ~600
Old 01-24-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

jkballon if you can post a reasonable picture of your brake calipers we can probably help you determine what brand of caliper you've got.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
jkballon if you can post a reasonable picture of your brake calipers we can probably help you determine what brand of caliper you've got.
Thanks for your offer. I have figured out I have Brembo calipers.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to do brakes