Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Full sized SUV to Q5? Anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full sized SUV to Q5? Anyone done it?

We have a 2010 Tahoe LTZ with 41K miles that has given us no issues but am considering getting a different SUV. The 13.5 mpg in the Tahoe is getting old. This would be my wife's SUV and it's really used for the typical stay at home mom stuff, lots of errands, shuttling our 4 & 8 yr old boys around, etc. I've got a Pilot with 3 rows if we really need to take extra people.

Guess my question is has anyone gone from a full sized SUV to the Q5? If so care to comment on the switch to the Q5?

Thanks.

JK
Old 02-22-2013, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not full-full sized (like 9 seater full sized).

I came from an XTerra. Horrible handling. Had it less than a year.

Can't imagine ever going bigger again.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

We went from a full-size pickup with a crew cab, to the Q. But we still have the truck for slop duty. The best way to describe the Q5, would be that it's nothing more than a sedan/wagon with a higher stance. It's a testament to the classic exterior design, in that the car always looks larger (in a good way) than it is. However, once inside, it's clear that its underpinnings are that of a small sedan. So, you really have to approach it that way. If you're keeping the big thing for overflow duty, then that does take much of the burden off the Q5. Also, you're in better shape with the eight-year-old, as he isn't going to need a kid seat. But you can fit a full-size for your 4-yr-old with no problem. We keep the one for our three-year-old on the 40% side of the 60/40, and it's great because we can still fold down the larger 60% side for over-sized cargo. That's a HUGE benefit.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if you'd call this full size:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/alb...ctureid=232887

we loved the Excursion and put 150k miles on it traveling....

but we made the switch and of course SHE drives the Q and I now drive this:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/alb...=gnr-img-album
Old 02-23-2013, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We went from a Tahoe to the Q and have no regrets about it. Dougnash's description of the Q is correct (glorifed station wagon) but the fuel mileage compared to the Tahoe is reason enough for the switch. My wife also appreciates that it is more like a car than a SUV....
Old 02-23-2013, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Currently have a Buick Enclave after several GMC Envoys.
I'm hoping to order a Q5 within the next two or three weeks or so.

Last edited by ATC69; 02-23-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Made a quick family trip this morning and decided to reset the MPG calculator on the Tahoe. First trip around town was 15.6mpg and we will see what it reads at the end of the day.

Heading to an Audi dealer tomorrow to get a good look at a 2013 Q5. There is no real reason we need the Tahoe and I hope we haven't grown accustomed to the size. The kids sure do have a lot of room back there though!
Old 02-24-2013, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SeaNile
We have a 2010 Tahoe LTZ with 41K miles that has given us no issues but am considering getting a different SUV. The 13.5 mpg in the Tahoe is getting old. This would be my wife's SUV and it's really used for the typical stay at home mom stuff, lots of errands, shuttling our 4 & 8 yr old boys around, etc. I've got a Pilot with 3 rows if we really need to take extra people.

Guess my question is has anyone gone from a full sized SUV to the Q5? If so care to comment on the switch to the Q5?

Thanks.

JK

We have a '99 GMC and a '01 Tahoe and just got a '10 Q5 in Nov. I have almost 250K miles on my Yukon and I am getting 14-15 mpg and the '01 Tahoe is getting 16-18 mpg and it has 150K on her. Since we got the Q5, the computer is saying overall average is about 20-21 mpg. Not really much better then the Yukon or Tahoe if you consider how much smaller and lighter it is. And not to mention its a V6 verses V8's.

But as for size. The Q5 is an awesome small SUV. But the cargo space is not the best. We have a 3 yr old and she has a B.O.B stroller. Folded with the wheels on I have to put in the back facing right to left, and it take up most the cargo space. If I take the wheels off (front and rear) i can slide it in facing front to back and it only takes up half the space. Costco runs we have to make sure the trunk is empty before we go, otherwise we have to get creative. lol The Q5 is primarily a commuter, not the go everywhere family rig we thought it would be. Around down and small errands are fine. But any trip we need more then a days worth of stuff its too tight. As it was bought mainly to use a a commuter, my daughter has more leg room then the Corolla it replaced. But compared to the Yukon and Tahoe space is tight. Especially if the front seats are more then half was back.
If your Tahoe is paid for I say keep it. The larger SUV is always nice to have. Good example. We bought some new Christmas Decor this year, a snow flake and some other lawn stuff. And we had to leave it at the store and go home and get the Tahoe cause we couldn't get the items into the Q5 without taking the car seat out and leaving my daughter and wife at the store as i ran home to unload. lol They were bigger then we thought. lol

Dont know if you tow anything, but at the end of the day I would not give up my full size SUV. The versatility of it over the Q5 out weights the MPG for me. I am actually probably selling the Yukon next year to get a 2500 Yukon XL. More space, more towing, more seat. lol :-) But I do love the Q5 we have. :-)
Old 02-24-2013, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hookooehoo
We have a '99 GMC and a '01 Tahoe and just got a '10 Q5 in Nov. ...
How's the interior comfort compare?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just went from a 2011 Suburban to a Q5. Of course you cannot compare the two, but so far I love the Q5. I did not need a large beast anymore as my regular trips from NY to Florida are over. You could not beat the Suburban for that as it was like driving your living room couch.

Quick Reply: Full sized SUV to Q5? Anyone done it?