Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Fule brand / Octane rating (in California)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well crap. I've been filling exclusively at Costco (9.4K miles). I still am little skeptical of this fuel designation, since why aren't the other major auto luxury companies endorsing this? I'll try filling up at Sunoco.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I wonder why some of the other brands don't participate in Tier One. Mercedes, Ford/Lincoln, Chrysler and Nissan/Infiniti aren't on the list. Same with Jag, Land Rover, Volvo.
Consortium...
Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mrrun2fast
Well crap. I've been filling exclusively at Costco (9.4K miles). I still am little skeptical of this fuel designation, since why aren't the other major auto luxury companies endorsing this? I'll try filling up at Sunoco.
You'll be just fine. This topic all too easily gets out of hand.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dougnash
You'll be just fine. This topic all too easily gets out of hand.
Yep. It's almost like saying, "Crap, I've been buying Kias, but Audis are so much better." If all you need is a Kia, then there's not really a problem there. All gas will meet the EPA's requirements, but particular vehicles may be a little pickier and do better with particular levels or types of additives. However, not using those isn't especially a problem, you might just lose a little performance or have a tiny more buildup or whatever. It's not like your engine will blow up at 10K if you use Costco gas.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
Yep. It's almost like saying, "Crap, I've been buying Kias, but Audis are so much better." If all you need is a Kia, then there's not really a problem there. All gas will meet the EPA's requirements, but particular vehicles may be a little pickier and do better with particular levels or types of additives. However, not using those isn't especially a problem, you might just lose a little performance or have a tiny more buildup or whatever. It's not like your engine will blow up at 10K if you use Costco gas.
I was partly joking with my comments, but I'll try the other gas for the heck of it.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mrrun2fast
I was partly joking with my comments, but I'll try the other gas for the heck of it.
But partly not! So hey! Seems like everyone's got their own preferences, and individual vehicles could respond a little differently, so you just have to try for yourself and see what you feel is best overall.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sq5wantabe
Wow. 6% BHP increase with Shell V-power compared to super market gas with a high performance engine. I thought octane was the only factor affecting performance, and that all 91 octane gas would provide the same power. Didn't realize additives could make such a difference. From now on, I will be filling up at the BP near me that usually matches Quick Trip's cheap gas prices.
Stick with QT - it's listed as a Top Tier gas. BP on the other hand is NOT.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

What I don't get is how folks shell out $40,000+ for the best SUV out there, and they get cheap on the gas.
What did you expect?
Please, no offense but it just seems backwards. Believe me when I agree its expensive, but I knew it going to the dealer.
I think cheap gas will hurt the engine. Be carefull.
I love my Q5 and I spare no penny. If the cost of gas is a concern perhaps another car company is worth looking at.
Chris
Old 03-27-2013, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my area, Costco sells their gas with "Kirkland Clean Power" and advertises that they use five times the EPA detergent requirement, etc. in both octane varieties. Does anyone know how this compares to top tier fuel? i.e. is it still less detergent than say Shell. I realize that the detergent / additives are different so I'm not asking if one brand is better than other for mpg, etc. but am curious about the amount of additives. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow thanks for all your comments.

So no doubt that Shell V-Power is great. I am on my 3rd tank of it and I have noticed smoother acceleration and more power, let alone better MPG as well.

I just didn't know if Costco's gas is anywhere closer to the more expensive top-tier stuff!

Now to the 2nd part of the question... besides Shell, what other brands around Cali is considered top-tier?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Fule brand / Octane rating (in California)