Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Fule brand / Octane rating (in California)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fule brand / Octane rating (in California)

Hey everybody, happy 2011 2.0T P+ owner here... I've been wondering about the fuel I've been using with the car, and I'd like to get some feedbacks from your experiences regarding this subject.

Reason being California pretty much has it's own standard in terms of fuel. This, that, the rap sheet is longer than a roll of toilet paper, not any differences between the two I can tell lol.

So I was pumping Costco's 91 in the past 28k miles, it's okay, I don't notice any delays in acceleration or bad mileage. The last two tanks I've been pumping Shell's 91 and maybe it's just me, but I noticed I am getting better acceleration (less lag) and somewhat better gas mileage (about 20-30 miles more per tank).

I just wonder, how does Shell's 91 compare to Costco's 91? The price difference is about a quarter per gallon, so at a full tank I am looking at around $5 differences. Not that I have anything else I can justify to ignore that $5 difference, but a penny saved it a penny earned.

What are your takes on this? Also what type and brand of gas do you use for your 2.0T engine?

Thanks for the feedbacks, I want to make sure I feed the best for the engine as I plan to keep my Q5 beyond 100k miles.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SteveDu
Hey everybody, happy 2011 2.0T P+ owner here... I've been wondering about the fuel I've been using with the car, and I'd like to get some feedbacks from your experiences regarding this subject.

Reason being California pretty much has it's own standard in terms of fuel. This, that, the rap sheet is longer than a roll of toilet paper, not any differences between the two I can tell lol.

So I was pumping Costco's 91 in the past 28k miles, it's okay, I don't notice any delays in acceleration or bad mileage. The last two tanks I've been pumping Shell's 91 and maybe it's just me, but I noticed I am getting better acceleration (less lag) and somewhat better gas mileage (about 20-30 miles more per tank).

I just wonder, how does Shell's 91 compare to Costco's 91? The price difference is about a quarter per gallon, so at a full tank I am looking at around $5 differences. Not that I have anything else I can justify to ignore that $5 difference, but a penny saved it a penny earned.

What are your takes on this? Also what type and brand of gas do you use for your 2.0T engine?

Thanks for the feedbacks, I want to make sure I feed the best for the engine as I plan to keep my Q5 beyond 100k miles.

Shell is top tier gasoline. Costco is not. These cars were designed to use top tier gasoline with the appropriate amount of detergents. There had been cases of engine overhauls required due to deposits which is comes with direct injection motors.

http://www.toptiergas.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tier_Detergent_Gasoline
I use Costco high octane - it is convenient, sometimes Shell, Chevron or 76. I change cars before the warranty period expires.

You decide what is best for your circumstances, but top tier gas (Shell in your case) should provide benefits.

Last edited by dsackman; 03-25-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We swear by Shell's V-Power 93. Car has been running super ever since I told the wife to fill up on her way to work with Shell.
No turning back for us.

Here is a European example, it is still very much U.S. related.

Shell's OPTIMAX is V-Power in U.S. and BP's ULTIMATE is Invigorate in U.S.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all your feedbacks.

I did some research and seems like Costco does not add any stuff to their gasoline. I'm going to pump Shell V-Power from now on, even though the higher price but I think in the long run it'll be better for the Q5, which I plan to drive past 100k.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Approaching 98,000 on my 2010 Q5 (3.2L motor).

Here in SoCal I use mostly Unocal 76 premium, and sometimes Mobile premium.

I have had no problems.

I haven't tried the Shell, as I am not near Shell stations.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Best fuel

both of my current and previous Audi's uses Prem 91 from either Chevron and Shell (in that order)
prices is a bit hard on the wallet but i know it would save me money in the long run in repair cost for these cars.

I personally preferred Chevron over Shell.

Wish we have the 93+ Octane here. I know my 2.0T turbo will thank me.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=lmariorod;24424102]We swear by Shell's V-Power 93. Car has been running super ever since I told the wife to fill up on her way to work with Shell.
No turning back for us.

I agree with you on the Shell 93. I'm biased as I worked for Shell for a short time and hung around the lab to learn as much about fuels and oil as I could. The lab tested local fuels of different brands often. Some were as good as Shell at times, but none was ever better. The additives are the key.

I use Shell whenever possible, and all I've ever had in my Corvette and (ex) Audi TT. I do use other top tier fuels when I can't get Shell, and have never had a fuel related problem.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Shell V power 93 is my favorite flavor. I run it in both our Audi's, my hi performance merc racing 2.5, and my Honda xr250xl.
Since it's always on hand I run it in my lawn tractor, mower and all gas power tools.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lmariorod
We swear by Shell's V-Power 93. Car has been running super ever since I told the wife to fill up on her way to work with Shell.
No turning back for us.

Here is a European example, it is still very much U.S. related.

Shell's OPTIMAX is V-Power in U.S. and BP's ULTIMATE is Invigorate in U.S.

5th Gear - High Octane Fuels - YouTube
Wow. 6% BHP increase with Shell V-power compared to super market gas with a high performance engine. I thought octane was the only factor affecting performance, and that all 91 octane gas would provide the same power. Didn't realize additives could make such a difference. From now on, I will be filling up at the BP near me that usually matches Quick Trip's cheap gas prices.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry. Maybe I heard something no one else did, but in that video, they indicated that each of the three fuels they tested had different octane ratings, with the Shell being the highest. Therefore, that is the reason the turbo motors had improved dyno readings, as anyone would expect. Simple as that. Believe what you will about "additives".

Quick Reply: Fule brand / Octane rating (in California)