Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Formatting a Hard Disk used in the AMI

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

The best way to play lossless files is using the Apple lossless file format from an iPhone or iPod using the AMI which gives full MMI control. Note that the AMI only supports analog from the iDevice though, same as using the 3.5mm AMI headphone output cable except you get the MMI control. I've tested all kinds of combinations and found that an SD card or Jukebox using hi bit 256kbps AAC or 320kbps mp3 files provides the best dynamic range and frequency response. With the B&O MOST system, there's one less digital to analog conversion with these sources. It's digital all the way from the card/Jukebox to the amps then analog to the speakers vs. analog from the iDevice to digital with the car's DAC to the amps then back to analog to the speakers.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840907
Old 11-07-2013, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Snagitseven,

Are you saying that I would actually get a better audio quality by using a SDHC card as opposed to a USB hard disc plugged into the AMI connector in the glovebox - even if the files are 320kbs mp3's?
Old 11-07-2013, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The best way to play lossless files is using the Apple lossless file format from an iPhone or iPod using the AMI which gives full MMI control.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840907
So you are saying that if you use the AMI cable with standard iPod connector it will transmit Apple lossless as analog and you will have control of playback and playlists thru MMI ?

If so, it's the first I've heard of this possibility... though it is still a compromise given that the B&O system does not use the analog signal directly.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by stash64
So you are saying that if you use the AMI cable with standard iPod connector it will transmit Apple lossless as analog and you will have control of playback and playlists thru MMI ?

If so, it's the first I've heard of this possibility... though it is still a compromise given that the B&O system does not use the analog signal directly.
Yes, an iDevice using the AMI cable is an analog output regardless of the car's audio system or the original file type. If the car has the B&O with the MOST digital signal transport, the digital signal goes through the iDevice DAC to analog then again through the car's DAC back to digital to the amps. If not the B&O, the signal stays analog from the iDevice DAC all the way to the speakers. In both cases, the digital control signal is present to be utilized by the MMI and will play any format the iDevice supports including Apple lossless files but will still output in analog from the iDevice.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GregH
Hi Snagitseven,

Are you saying that I would actually get a better audio quality by using a SDHC card as opposed to a USB hard disc plugged into the AMI connector in the glovebox - even if the files are 320kbs mp3's?
I believe using the AMI/USB cable would be equivalent to an SD card as it outputs in digital, unlike an iDevice which outputs in analog to the AMI. If you have the B&O with the MOST digital signal transport, the signal would stay in digital to the amps then analog to the speakers. If you have one of the other sound systems, the car's DAC converts to analog all the way to the speakers.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks snagitseven. I do have B&O. Good to know that the signal remains digital all the way from source to the amp.

The only benefits from using an iDevice then is the expanded choice of playable formats and the additional options to sort your music such as by Artist, Album etc. The benefit that a lossless file format can be played may be slightly diminished due to the analogue/digital conversions going on in the background.