Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty?

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here and looking forward to getting to know Audi's and the Audi customer base. I recently bought a 2015 Audi Q5 for its beautiful ride, luxurious interior, and its ability to plow through the snow where I live. I'm working on financing the car now and I have the option to get an extended warranty. This would likely stretch my funds but I wanted to know what everyone thought of extended warranties for the Q5 since I am so new to the vehicle. The 2015 I bought has brand new 19" tires and almost 55,000 miles. I will mostly be using the vehicle for college commutes and small trips but otherwise I won't be using it for anything too heavy such as towing and such. One of the two warranties I'm considering are through the large dealer which is out of state and the other is through an Audi dealer near me. The first is for 5 Years/60,000 Miles for $3000 and the second is for 3 Years/36,000 Miles for $4000. Both are bumper to bumper with obvious subtext. It is highly likely that I will not go over the mileage before the years past as I outlined I won't be using this car too much. My concerns here are the following: I am new to Audi (and I am very impressed with it as a brand and the Q5 as a vehicle) as well as the Q5 and I'm not sure how their vehicles hold up over the years. I am aware that the parts can be quite expensive because of their quality and that mechanical issues can occur on any car but I don't know how often the infotainment system could have mechanical issues nor do I know how long parts should last. The car is in extremely good condition and was on a regular Audi service schedule for its short 2 years of life it has had thus far.
I look forward to your responses, thank you all in advance.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good extended warranty, like any other insurance policy, offers two benefits: peace of mind and protection against budget-blowing repair bills. If you decide to purchase a plan, I think it makes sense to do so through an Audi dealer because you are less likely to encounter problems with a claim since there is no third-party involved. Bear in mind that there are huge dealer mark-ups on extended warranties, often in the neighborhood of 100%.. I elected to purchase a plan through Audi rather than a third party. You can purchase an Audi plan from any Audi dealer. It does not have to be the dealer where you purchased your car. I selected the warranty I wanted and then asked eight dealers to quote me that plan and then took the lowest bid to my local dealer and offered them the opportunity to match that bid. They quickly did so resulting in a four figure savings.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a point of reference, I bought a CPO 2014 SQ5, which had 15K miles on it. It came with Audi's 100K/6yr extended warranty as part of the purchase package.

I recently (last week) brought the car in for its 95K service, with a complaint that I was hearing a droning noise coming from the front end...like the wheel bearings were bad. The dealer diagnosed the problem that, yes, both front wheel bearings were shot, and they replaced them under the warranty.

No hassle, no questions...and this wasn't the dealer where I purchased the car.

I was very happy to have had the extended warranty!

Jason
New York
Old 12-13-2017, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason - how's it running after the 95K mark? I'm considering pulling the trigger on a 2015 SQ5 with 80K miles on it. Am I crazy? I may consider buying an extended warranty, but at this point have no idea what the up-front cost would be. Any insight is apreciated!

Thanks,
Old 12-13-2017, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car is running like a champ...It's strong and the suspension is still pretty darn tight.
I don't know how much the '15 SQ5 you are looking at is going for, so I can't speak to that, but these motors pull like bulls; I don't think the newer turbos can give the same visceral feeling a supercharged engine has.

Jason
New York
Old 12-14-2017, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I see extended warranties as a insurance policy. Most of the time, you are paying for something that you don't need. If something major happens, you are glad you have them, but usually, a waste of money.

Most of the time, they cost more than the amount of a potential repair. That is why dealerships offer them... they are a money maker for the dealer.

In my experience, I have 209,000 miles on my car. All things that happened that may have been covered by an extended warranty happened between the 100,000 and 200,000 mile mark. In total, it hasn't been that much compared to the price of an extended warranty.

Best of luck.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

https://www.carprousa.com/should-you...y-car-pro-news