Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I was offered Audi Pure Protection by the dealer for my Q5 TDI 7 yr / 70,000 miles for about $2700. Finance manager said if I don't use it, I can get my money back.

... After I got home, I started reading the agreement. I couldn't find the money back feature. It would be prorated after the 30 days refund period. I questioned the Finance manager. She got back to me that the program had changed, she didn't know it and she offered to take another $500 off the price. I said no thanks and I am waiting for my refund.

I am not certain I will keep the Q5 TDI beyond the original warranty period. For me, I rather go without.

Buyer beware.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I was offered Audi Pure Protection by the dealer for my Q5 TDI 7 yr / 70,000 miles for about $2700. Finance manager said if I don't use it, I can get my money back.

... After I got home, I started reading the agreement. I couldn't find the money back feature. It would be prorated after the 30 days refund period. I questioned the Finance manager. She got back to me that the program had changed, she didn't know it and she offered to take another $500 off the price. I said no thanks and I am waiting for my refund.

I am not certain I will keep the Q5 TDI beyond the original warranty period. For me, I rather go without.

Buyer beware.
Valuable lesson learned. Whether it's a building/remodeling contractor, life insurance or investment sales person, or even loaning money to a relative or friend, ALWAYS GET IT IN WRITING!
Old 11-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See similar thread at
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2844315&page=4
Old 11-30-2013, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

I got it with our new Q5 2.0T. Would rather have the piece of mind than go without it. But do your research 1st as it may not make sense for everybody.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GoldenBear
At delivery, I was presented with the option of extending my factory warranty to seven years /70,000 miles for a little over $2K. I will put less than 10,000 miles on the Q5 each year so the 70K mile amount makes sense for me. I will most likely own the Q5 for seven to ten years. I did not buy the warranty yet as I am still considering it.

Question for the group - did you buy the extended warranty for your Q5? What is your reasoning?
I bought the extended warranty.

My track record is pretty solid for owning cars well beyond their factory warranty.

Had a Civic for almost 9 years.
Had a Lexus for 8 years.
Then finished up on my wife's ML for 3 more, pushing that one to 11 years.

I don't think extended warranties are great investments, but for me it seemed to make sense.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fred D
I bought the extended warranty. {snip}

I don't think extended warranties are great investments, but for me it seemed to make sense.

Hey Fred, I wouldn't consider it an "investment," but rather insurance. Just like you really never want to use the fire coverage on your dwelling! But if you must, it's there for your protection.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 81Coupe
You might want to take a look at fd-warranty.com. They are a dealer selling legit Audi warranties.
I bought my warranty through them. Great deal, great transaction.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's an interesting question for Audi warranties and 3rd party warranties. Price is one factor on any insurance/warranty, but also at the time of "claiming" the insurance, how much push back you get from the people covering the warranty/insurance is also very important. How's the experience been with Audi's warranty? For those who have used third party warranties, how has the experience been with trying to make a claim dealing with Audi/mechanic and then your 3rd party?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alatsacto
Here's an interesting question for Audi warranties and 3rd party warranties. Price is one factor on any insurance/warranty, but also at the time of "claiming" the insurance, how much push back you get from the people covering the warranty/insurance is also very important. How's the experience been with Audi's warranty? For those who have used third party warranties, how has the experience been with trying to make a claim dealing with Audi/mechanic and then your 3rd party?
GOOD QUESTION
Old 12-03-2013, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Third Party Warranties

Originally Posted by alatsacto
We purchased a third-party warranty for my wife's 98.5 A4 2.8L 30V and it was a real PITA to get the issuing company to honor it. They made us AND our mechanic jump through multiple hoops, but we finally got reimbursement for a faulty ABS module ($100 chip inside a $2,000 part but of course it being Audi you had to replace the whole module). So forewarned is forearmed.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty