Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

European taillights

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was following my wife in her Q5 when it was dark out and the blinker light's are very blinding. I am determined to find coding and hopefully it's just a matter of swapping out the red for the amber LED.

Last edited by CrzyP; 11-30-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by abcabc
Nice, but that's not how it's done. The brake light flashes with the turn signal. That's so stupid. Why would Audi make this change for the worse?
Audi to do it because the U.S. legislation provided.
For Audi would be easier not to have to make different tail lights

Last edited by spijun; 11-30-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just looked at the my taillights and saw that there is a strip of LED's for the blinkers on the bottom of the strip. The brake portion has a strip of LED's on the top facing down.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
Audi to do it because the U.S. legislation provided.
For Audi would be easier not to have to make different tail lights
U.S. Departement of Transportation states they should be red or amber.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...=r49CFR571.108
Old 12-01-2012, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
U.S. Departement of Transportation states they should be red or amber.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...=r49CFR571.108
These are the new changes to the law, Audi needs to throw everything that was made before these changes ??
Previously the law provides only red

Do you know how far in advance to make plans for the electrical systems in the car ??????

For Audi, it would be much easier and cheaper to just make one model

I know because some friends of imported cars from the U.S. to Europe and had to change the front and rear lights

Last edited by spijun; 12-01-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
These are the new changes to the law, Audi needs to throw everything that was made before these changes ??
Previously the law provides only red

Do you know how far in advance to make plans for the electrical systems in the car ??????

For Audi, it would be much easier and cheaper to just make one model

I know because some friends of imported cars from the U.S. to Europe and had to change the front and rear lights
This is not a new law. Here, cars had red or amber rear turn signals for decades.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
This is not a new law. Here, cars had red or amber rear turn signals for decades.
I really do not know why is it only on the U.S. market.
Why then make American Manufacturers cars with red for U.S. market and amber for the other ?

This is one example of the difference the U.S. market and the rest of the world

Name:  ScreenShot181-1.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  46.0 KB
Name:  ScreenShot179-2.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  51.7 KB
Name:  ScreenShot180-1.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  50.8 KB

Last edited by spijun; 12-01-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The only reason I can think of to have a red instead of amber rear turn signal (and combining with the brake light) is if the turn signal by itself doesn't have the required surface area. I saw a Q5 today with just the (red) turn signal portion lit, though, and it seemed sufficiently bright. Even better if it was amber, but even the red was very noticeable.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
The only reason I can think of to have a red instead of amber rear turn signal (and combining with the brake light) is if the turn signal by itself doesn't have the required surface area. I saw a Q5 today with just the (red) turn signal portion lit, though, and it seemed sufficiently bright. Even better if it was amber, but even the red was very noticeable.
So are you saying the turn signal was just the thin strip of LEDs?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
My personal theory (realize, I have no basis for this, it is only my opinion) is that Audi purposely makes the NA taillights the way they are to make the car more difficult to import back into Europe. The price differential between the European Q5 and the US Q5 (and all Audis, for that matter) is significant, making it tempting to buy a NA-spec Q5 and ship it back to Europe. Even with all the hassle, it would still save the European buyer thousands of dollars (or Euros). By re-engineering the NA-spec lighting, they can make it a huge hassle to bring a NA-spec Q5 to Europe. Realize that switching lights is more than just swapping out the light units, it requires a dongle and/or complex coding to get them to work properly.

From an engineering standpoint, it would make perfect sense to use same taillight units for every Q5 made, but for some reason, Audi chose to make the NA lights different. I'm sure it's more complicated than my theory suggests, but I would be surprised if my theory didn't figure into their thinking.

Quick Reply: European taillights